Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heyas,

Anybody have experience with the Alpine V series amps? I remember my friends having old V12's back in the 90's, but most on here seem to use names I've never heard of or JL audio stuff. I just installed 4 Polk Dxi650s's and and wanted to push them with the Alpine MRV-F300. I'm also planning on a JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 for my sub with an Alpine MRV-M500. I figured that setup with a Pioneer AVH-x5500 will be more than enough for me. Trying to keep the build under $1500.

Any opinions or better solutions are appreciated. My last system build was in a 96 civic...in 1996. I'm a little out of touch. :eek:

·
Registered
535 Posts
I hear ya on that... I am running into a lot of people like you and I who's car audio experience was in the 90's, and then ceased until right about now. It seems like a lot has changed, but then again, not much as well.

It looks like JL definitely stayed consistently in the game. I remember the Alpine V12 amps, and those were pretty good amps back then. I also remember Phoenix Gold, Soundstream, and Precision Power being some top names. It looks like PPI is making a comeback with some of their new stuff. I have also heard good things about the Gen 2 Alpine PDX amps.

Then again, there's always the cork sniffery stuff as with any hobby, but your plan doesn't sound bad, and not drastically different than mine.

Reactions: TeddyKGB

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, seems a lot of us lost intrest after the high school days of bumping around town. I actually found an old Lanzar comp 12 that I had from back in the day. It was well worn, and likely worthless, but brought back a lot of memories nonetheless. Now I'm just looking for a full sound without screwing up my hearing any more than it already is.

You're right, JL's have always seemed to be of consistant quality. The PDX's are very nice, but a little more than I wanted to spend. I like 2-amp setups, as I feel you get a bit more control that way. The MRV's seem to have a few tricks from the PDX series and seem to be a good compromise.

BTW, nice looking truck in your sig.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You will love the X5500 as I just put one in this week. It was the first radio I have ever put in myself and it was so easy with the dash kit and harness adapter. I bought a cheap parking brake bypass off Ebay and it worked perfect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just installed 2 Alpine MRV-F300 amps in my 2010 DC to power some Memphis Audio 6.5in coaxials and a Pioneer ib-Flat sub...the Alpines have performed beautifully so far, crisp, clean power and they run cool which is a bonus...good luck!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Seems like most of the thoughts and experiences in this thread are identical to mine. I did a little research and sent some PMs to members here picking their brains. I ended up going with the X series Alpine amps. One of the people I talked to said the X series were PDX amps in a cute little small chassis. I’m sure there’s more to it, but I think I’ll be happy with the amps. I’m still piecing everything together and need to order some sound deadening before I start the install. I ended up going with the MRX-F65 for some Polk MM components up front and MM coaxials in the rear, and an MRX-M110 for 2 Polk MM subs.

I’ll post up some pictures of the install whenever that happens. Good luck on your build!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I went with all the stuff I mentioned earlier. Amps are going under the front seats. I had no idea how small they were until they arrived at my house! :eek: Technology...gotta love it. Got a problem with the JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3. No matter where I put it under under the rear seats there just isn't enough space. I'm selling it to my buddy to put in his Super Duty, and I'm gonna go with either an Alpine Type R or Kenwood Excelon shallow 10". Too bad, I really wanted to see how well the W3 sounded.

ncyotecaller, I'm really excited about the x5500, but the cables to hook up my iPhone 5 are nearly $150! My wallet feels raped...no lube used.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check out the Pioneer ib-Flat sub as well, fits perfectly under the rear seats
and I was stunned at the amount of bass it pumps out...price is right too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I said screw it and went with the JL Stealthbox and that sweet little 8W7. I just didn't want to sacrifice the space under the seats. I couldn't see taking out a large box built for two tens every time I wanna carry something big in the cab. Installing everything on Monday. Hope it sounds good!

·
Registered
45 Posts
You will not be disappointed with the JL Stealthbox! That 8" woofer makes some really good bass and sound. I'm currently running it off of a JL HD900/5 and it sounds amazing. Hope you enjoy your new setup.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I finally got everything installed today. Amps are low on the back wall on the passenger side. The Stealthbox is under the passenger seat behind the driver. I've got to say, I'm seriously impressed with the Stealthbox's output. It honestly sounds like I've got two 10's in the back!

The polks are bright, but definitely mix well with the subs. Dynamat really made the difference in the doors too. Mid base actually has some punch now. Now if Pioneer ever decides to send out their iPhone 5 firmware update for the x5500 I'll be set.

Overall, I'm happy as hell.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts