Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, am I the only one that has the diesel truck bug real bad ? with these new deisel motor coming out in the new Ford/GM Diesel trucks. It's so tempting for me to trade my truck in. This is theraputic for me to discuss it with you guys. I already know what JC is going to say to me already. :drool:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I didn't have the bug, but I needed it. Now, as I told my friend the other day: I'm still not 100% in love with the Ram, but I've fallen hard for the Cummins!

Not sure about those new ones...the specs are great, but then I didn't buy a 2007 Tundra either...I'm just not a first-year kinda guy! :)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I didn't have the bug, but I needed it. Now, as I told my friend the other day: I'm still not 100% in love with the Ram, but I've fallen hard for the Cummins!

Not sure about those new ones...the specs are great, but then I didn't buy a 2007 Tundra either...I'm just not a first-year kinda guy! :)
Smart idea let them build a few and hopefully by year two they know what they're doing. haha

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Hey guys, am I the only one that has the diesel truck bug real bad ? with these new deisel motor coming out in the new Ford/GM Diesel trucks. It's so tempting for me to trade my truck in. This is theraputic for me to discuss it with you guys. I already know what JC is going to say to me already. :drool:
Have you heard what I talk about 76% of the day, and what banners I have posted up on my walls? 2011 Silverado HD also just came out, that percentage might just go up.

That said, I still think my old IHCs are tanks, the long term reliability of the new computerized engines will have to be seen.

·
"The General"
4,172 Posts
What I like about diesel engines is the additional up front costs and the higher fuel prices (at least in ATL). Oh yeah, the smell and noise are awesome too!

J/K, I'd love to have one, but I can't justify the items in the first sentence, so I'll stick with the Tundra.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I've been tossing the idea around about getting rid of my Dodge Ram 1500HD and getting a Ram 2500 Diesel but the cost is prohibitive to what it would get used for. I just wish I would have got a Tundra with an 8' bed. Just not enough room to haul everything for camping and wood cutting plus towing an ATV trailer with a Rhino.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
What I like about diesel engines is the additional up front costs and the higher fuel prices (at least in ATL). Oh yeah, the smell and noise are awesome too!

J/K, I'd love to have one, but I can't justify the items in the first sentence, so I'll stick with the Tundra.
Higher fuel prices is your area I guess, which would be justifiable. Here it's still cheaper for more energy content (ex. reg gas is $0.929/L right now, diesel is still $0.795/L). Up front costs, well, you're paying more for a better engine, that makes sense right?

Smell, doesn't smell like much anymore. It also doesn't sound like much anymore. We hate it, because that's what makes it awesome for us but the manufacturers and EPA forcing have made it clean and quiet for you guys I guess.

Might just be 'cause I live in a place where basically everyone and their brothers and sisters has a diesel truck, lol.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
TRENT310;468906 Up front costs said:
Thats why you gotta straight pipe a diesel. If an't blowing smoke it must be broke! *the previous statement only applies to vehicles with diesel engines, obviously, if your unleaded vehicle is blowing black smoke somethings wrong. haha. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I want a diesel so I can run my truck on used french fry oil. That's about all.
7.3Ls worked nicely on that. The 6.0 got picky.
Or VW Diesel engines, those are also compatible with that.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
7.3Ls worked nicely on that. The 6.0 got picky.
Or VW Diesel engines, those are also compatible with that.
See id hate running french fry oil in a truck, first your trucks exhaust smells like french fries...a smell i love.... so id be at the local fast food joint all the time eating and spending more money....and yeah thats about it. :popcorn:

·
Registered
352 Posts
i doubt a new diesel with a DPF could run on french fry oil.......makes me wonder that if money was no object i bet one could shoehorn an ISB Cummins, a Hino motor or that 4.5 V8 from the Aussie Land Cruiser in a Tundra, it would take some real electronic wizadry and u would have to keep all the emissions crap intact but it would sure be interesting

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I wouldn't mind having a diesel, just can't afford one. I'm turning in my Dodge Ram this week mainly due to the dealer not wanting to fix their screwup from when they replaced the clutch, resurfaced the flywheel only on one side and didn't bother to balance it or shim it which created a huge vibration and has now worn out the bearings in the rear axle, but when I took it in a day later to have it checked after I had a friend of mine drive it to make sure I wasn't imagining the problem, the service guy got in it, started it and revved the engine a couple times and blamed the vibration on a loose exhaust shield and said he knows nothing was wrong with the flywheel because he did the work. So now I'm stuck with a truck with a bad rear end that I can't afford to fix. So they're getting their truck back that according to them "there's nothing wrong with it".

I will eventually get a diesel, just haven't really decided which one. I've heard a lot of good from the 5.9L Cumins engines, but don't know much about any of them really.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
i doubt a new diesel with a DPF could run on french fry oil.......makes me wonder that if money was no object i bet one could shoehorn an ISB Cummins, a Hino motor or that 4.5 V8 from the Aussie Land Cruiser in a Tundra, it would take some real electronic wizadry and u would have to keep all the emissions crap intact but it would sure be interesting
That depends if you are going to try to sell it as a mass produced product or just USE it as a personal vehicle. If you want to sell a bunch of them then emissions is probably a concern. If you just use it as your own, then no one cares. Then again I haven't seen California before but apparently they're crazy about emissions certification crap (so much so that lawnmowers sold HERE have warning stickers saying you can't use it in CA), maybe it's different there but I have never heard about anyone having to do emissions inspections or certifications stuff. Basically everyone does a DPF and EGR delete on their diesel engines here.

You'll wreck the high pressure injectors in the latest Diesels if you use anything but ULSD, that's why you usually pick an older one with indirect injection to do a feat like that.

The thing with Hino engines is that they're either small or really big. They don't have a 5-6L model which would be easier to fit into a pickup form factor.

Definitely could be done if you REALLY REALLY love the Tundra as a truck but want a diesel engine... but there are other components which become the weak point. Also, the transmission has gearing and shift points for a gasoline engine which runs at higher speeds, which would have to be changed for the application. Wouldn't it just be nicer to get a truck which has been designed from the ground up to work with the components?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts