Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Alternator problem...

8K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  08greenmachine 
#1 ·
ok so went mud riding the other night been out there for awhile and I always look at my gauges keeping an on them and I looked and seen battery light on and volts where like almost to 9 so we shut down and I drove home b4 the battery drained completely but I was just wondern if yall think it just got to wet and it may start charging again or am I pretty much lookn into buying one and if so is hard to change? thanks guys!

#2 ·
You must have been mud riding with the other dude because he has the same problem :lol5:. Have you try turn on the truck to see if the alternator still working? Or try to test the alternator to see if it's instill function normally. The alternator ain't cheap if you decided to get one from the dealer. Replacement ain't too hard even i can do it :lol5:

#3 ·
it will run after I charge battery but the alternator wont charge it if I run radio and stuff and yeah I priced one for 260 at the parts house but I found sum online for bout 130 so idk is it located on the bottom of the engine?

#5 ·
ok well I know its bad so im just gonna bite the bullet and buy one but nxt ? is how do I know if I got a 130 or 150 amp and will they both bolt up to my 5.7? or are they different bolt patterns?

#9 ·
U could've blown the main alt fuse. That's what happened to me, I got it wet n it went out so I changed the alt n it still wasn't working. There is only one way to check if it's the fuse, u would have to connect the alt directly to the battery (I did it with jumper cables) other than that no test can tell u if the fuse is out. Whrn/if u do have to replace the alt sngo will give u a full/thorough/detailed write up on how to replace it, he'll he will go help u after he replaces his toe!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#13 ·
It's a 180amp fuse located in the main fuse box behind the battery, when u open that up it will b under a stop of glass that is 3/4" by 5-6". I personally don't know how to get it out but I know u have to take it out from the bottom of the fuse box. If u look at the labels on the fuse box lid u will c exactly where it is. Btw it's a $60 fuse. Like I said b4 u can check the fuse by connecting the alt directly to the battery it will take 2min, just connect the positive to the battery n the other end of the jumper cable to the power connect on the alt. Doin the fuse check with a cable is the only way to check the fuse without taking the fuse out.

#12 ·
Don't disconnect the battery while the engine is running. The alternator uses the battery as a filter; more than that, it is an integral part of its control loop. Removing the battery can cause the alternator to spike upwards of 100V; while the auto electronics are designed for that sort of thing--do you really want to test it out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.