Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Alternative to OEM tailgate replacment

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  riccnick 
#1 ·
I had something gash the back of my tailgate and was wondering what would be the most affordable way to repair it. It's only one piece of sheetmetal but the dealer wants to much. Would it be easy to swap out the shell myself and anyone know where I can get one painted on the cheap? It's a 2009. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
My tailgate played kissy-face with a trailer jack a few years back. When I returned to the pickup in the morning I forgot the tailgate was down, and went about reversing the trailer - ouch.

I picked up a tailgate on Craigslist for $300 shipped. Same color Tundra, a year newer than mine (3 weeks old). I just had to swap the lock and backup camera out. Yeah backup camera and I still hit the trailer jack :rolleyes:

I waited a month or so to find the right color. Some toppers come with a full length back door, so the tailgates occasionally come up for sale when the owner buys a new truck and wants to add a topper. I seem to recall the dealer wanted around $1k for a painted tailgate :eek:

#7 ·
2007-Current will fit. However, there is speculation (idk about actuality myself) that the '08+ are stronger and don't have the cracking problem seen in earlier models of the 2nd Gen.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.