Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a crisis. My wife told me I need to upgrade my Tundra's Stereo!!! I think she is drunk, or bumped her head. Not sure, but time to take advantage of it.

First, Truck is a 2015 SR5 Crewmax. No JBL. Canadian spec (if that matters to someone)

To start, I am just doing the head unit. Will upgrade speakers afterwards if it seems necessary.

I have broken it down to two units

Apline Halo F411 or F409 (or F511 or f509) (Can't decide yet if the newest model is worth the extra $$$)

OR

Pioneers DMH Series, either the 6600, 7600, or 8600 - again, have not decided yet.

Any chance any of you have experience with either the Alpine or Pioneer?

My first step is to pick a brand, then decide on the exact model. Will probably go with a 9" display over the 11 just due to costs.

Lots of "reviews" out there, but most are just fresh out of the box overviews. Curious to hear from anyone who has real world experience with any of these!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I can't speak for the newer trucks as I have a 2008 that I completely upgraded but I will say this...from my research, which included all years because of the lack of change, it seems that the speakers are where you'll get the most improvement in these systems. I initially replaced the head unit and found there to be a very minor upgrade sound-wise, it was more for the tech side. Upgrading the speakers made an amazing difference. Just my .02.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I can't speak for the newer trucks as I have a 2008 that I completely upgraded but I will say this...from my research, which included all years because of the lack of change, it seems that the speakers are where you'll get the most improvement in these systems. I initially replaced the head unit and found there to be a very minor upgrade sound-wise, it was more for the tech side. Upgrading the speakers made an amazing difference. Just my .02.
What speakers do you recommend? How many watts and ohms?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Oh man it's been a few years so don't know the specifics. I had non-JBL and switched it to Morel components up front, Morels in the rear, and a JL sub all powered by an Alpine amp. To be honest I did a ton of research here but didn't find too many specifics which was ok because I was basically starting from scratch. I also paid a local shop owner who's fantastic (but super pricey) tune it for me and thank god I did, what he told me that needed to be done I wouldn't have gotten anywhere near so I definitely wouldn't have gotten the best use out of it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Probably not answering your question at all but...

I went with a Sony...because it had knobs and push buttons.

I don't really like touch screens, except for my phone.

Probably wasn't an upgrade, other than the head unit in my '12 SR5 drove me nuts. The green dot style display. Seems right out of an early 2000 Impala or the like.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Probably not answering your question at all but...

I went with a Sony...because it had knobs and push buttons.

I don't really like touch screens, except for my phone.

Probably wasn't an upgrade, other than the head unit in my '12 SR5 drove me nuts. The green dot style display. Seems right out of an early 2000 Impala or the like.
I first changed out my head unit to a Kenwood I believe and one thing I became accustomed to was a remote. I know it sounds silly but given that my truck is a 2008, there are no steering wheel controls and I didn't want to go aftermarket for them. My new head unit has ApplePlay so the remote is awesome for changing songs and adjusting the volume. I know it's definitely a "first-world" problem but I had the pre-requisite of the new head unit having a remote, once you get one you'll wonder how you ever did without. :cool:

·
Registered
14,260 Posts
The non-Jbl is a lot easier to work around than a Jbl truck.

I would look around the audio area. I believe the 15's started having an amp under the seat. I may be wrong, since I have had a 2010 (non-jbl), and a 2017 (jbl).

If you have the amp under the seat, you can always start there, and speakers. There are plug and play kits to swap it.

Even with a head unit, the speakers are not exactly anything of quality.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I 100% agree with replacing the speakers.It will be a much bigger improvement than replacing the head unit. When you see the OEM speakers you'll laugh how pathetic they are. Anyway, I replaced mine on a 2018 with the Kenwood Excelon series and added a 10" Kenwood sub and 5 channel amp to power everything. It sounded so good I have yet to replace my head unit. Everyone who has ever heard the system is impressed!

·
Registered
2014 Platinum crewmax, alpine head unit, KMC 20" chrome wheels, remote starter, soft tonneau cover,
22 Posts
I'm not happy with my Alpine (aftermarket) when I bought my '14CM JBL....I've got my eye on a Kenwood DMX1057XR...with a real volume knob and a 10" screen (sits out from the dash a little).

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am having a crisis. My wife told me I need to upgrade my Tundra's Stereo!!! I think she is drunk, or bumped her head. Not sure, but time to take advantage of it.

First, Truck is a 2015 SR5 Crewmax. No JBL. Canadian spec (if that matters to someone)

To start, I am just doing the head unit. Will upgrade speakers afterwards if it seems necessary.

Apline Halo F411 or F409 (or F511 or f509) (Can't decide yet if the newest model is worth the extra $$$)

OR

Pioneers DMH Series, either the 6600, 7600, or 8600 - again, have not decided yet.

My first step is to pick a brand, then decide on the exact model. Will probably go with a 9" display over the 11 just due to costs.

Lots of "reviews" out there, but most are just fresh out of the box overviews. Curious to hear from anyone who has real world experience with any of these!
I bought the 2013 double cab SR5 with the standard (non-JBL) stereo. I used the truck mainly for long drives, so spent a lot of time listening to music. It didn't take long before I realized how bad that stereo really was. I spent a lot of time researching upgrades and learned a lot. If I remember, my whole system cost around $850 (in 2014 dollars), but it really made a world of difference!

I remembered Crutchfield from the early years of really good stereo systems and liked that they had lots of choices all in one place. Looked them up again and found it's still the same but they also have a ton information about all sorts of equipment and the hows, whys, and DIY information. One of the most important step is you can enter your vehicles information and when you start looking at speakers, it will tell you whether each of the ones available will fit the stock openings in your vehicle. That's a quick way to eliminate fitment problems. The same thing applies to head units, amps, etc. I agree with those above who said that speakers are the single best upgrade you can make. Still, if you're going to replace the whole thing, then build your system as you want it, then pick the speakers to match your configuration.

One of my priorities for the head unit was either no, or at least minimal, touch screen controls. For me, when bouncing down the road and trying to get my fingertip to hit a tiny little touch target, more often than not I'll get the wrong 'button'. I also don't like having to take my eyes off the road that long. The one control that MUST be a knob is the volume control....if I need it turned down right now, I want to be fishing around looking where to touch a big flat screen. My main requirements were that it was SiriusXM radio compatible, was double-DIN size, had adjustable panel lights, a large enough screen to see the data from the XM music (artist & song name), and other similar things you might need.

Next was an amplifier that to be mounted under the passenger seat. Since the amp is set-and-forget, you don't really need to be able to adjust the various freq ranges or impedence or any of the other settings. There are usually some ends & edges of carpeting under the passenger seat, so make sure it has some sort of mounting bar to keep above the floor to make sure the ventilation slots are clear. I personally do not like sub-woofers and what they do to my music, so I didn't get an amp with an output for one. Your choice. Also, be careful about the advertisements for amplifiers. You'll see ads for fantastic power outputs, but it turns out to be not quite true. It may say "1000 watts output" but in fact that is the total of all four channels that 250watts each. You'll also see some references to PEP and RMS power. PEP is the 'peak envelope power' and is the maximum power the amp can handle in a single RF cycle or very short bursts. RMS 'root mean square' is the continuous average power handling of an amplifier. RMS is the number you need to use for selecting speakers & amps. If an ad only lists PEP, then multiply that number by .707 to get the true RMS power.

Last thing is speakers. You'll probably spend about the same for the speaks as you do for all the other components. Save yourself some grief and get speakers that will fit the stock openings in your truck. You can use the Crutchfield website to see if particular speakers will fit your vehicle. It isn't just the size of the hole, but also the amount of room behind it and whether it will interfere with other items inside the doors. You don't want to finish your fancy new installation and then the first time you put your window down, you hear a very loud & expensive CRUNCH!! Make sure the impedance of the speakers match the output of the amplifier. Impedance is usually 4, 6, or 8 ohms. You should also make sure the impedance of the speaker output on your head unit matches the input to the amplifier.

After working with all sorts of electronics systems from the 1960s up until I retired in 2011, I knew how all this stuff works together and how to install it. However, now that I'm in my 70s, I no longer bend and twist and squeeze to access all the places in a vehicle, so I paid a professional to do the job. It was well worth the couple of hundred bucks to get it done right the first time. If you think a professional is expensive, wait until you hire an amateur to do it....and re-do it....and re-do the re-do! Also, spend some time browsing the Crutchfield website....tons of info for free. You don't have to buy from them, but the price is right on the info!

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
4 Posts

OR

If you are interested in my speaker/amp installation, PM me and I can send you the parts list.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In my opinion there are two things to consider in audio upgrades. One, the units output strength and the quality of speakers. People install fantastic speakers, the the audio output is not strong enough to push them. The brand of audio unit doesn't mean that much, but output does. If you install good after market speakers you may have to install and amplifier to drive them. Personally, if you like your factory stereo, leave it, and buy quality speakers and an amplifier to drive them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts