Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I want this in my 2017 non jbl double cab. Finally wireless Apple CarPlay!!! My fear is the minute I spend all the cash to upgrade my system, Toyota gets off its butt and enables CarPlay with a firmware update to entune.
Anyone planning on putting it in their Tundra? Let’s talk about it

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Almost pulled the trigger on it but decided to wait and see some reviews first. I'm assuming it'll kill your phone battery pretty quick. I actually don't mind plugging my phone in so if there's a better option for less I'll probably just go that route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
me too - were always grabbing a charge in the car - heck the kids have cords in the back seats as their phones are always almost dead. My wife’s VW Tiguan has CarPlay and we really like it. I think I’m liking the idea of wireless CarPlay since it’s the next big thing, and you can always use a cord also. My understanding is the ILX-107 detects your phone with Bluetooth initially, then switches to 5Ghz WiFi which is easier on the battery. Can’t wait to see one installed!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh Boy - I picked up a new ILX-107 off Craigslist for a great price, so the build begins! I have a 2017 doublecab, and trying to decide on dash kits and crux vs idatalink wiring. My stock entune system doesn’t show any truck info, so I’m thinking crux may work fine and seems cheaper. I like the black glossy dash kit over the factory looking painted grey from what I’ve seen here, but might buy both and decide once I see them. I hope I can get this installed in a day without having to drive around with my head unit hanging out. I will take pics of the build once it begins - wish me luck:)

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it’s in - kinda.... my truck is a 2017 SR5 Double Cab, non JBL basic entune system. The parts used were:
Crux swrty-61N wiring harness
Metra 95-8246HG High Gloss Black dash kit - I’ve also ordered the painted version to compare but have not gotten yet
Microbypass brake override
Alpine ILX-107 wireless CarPlay head unit

I have not installed a head unit in a few years, and never on a newer vehicle. The parts all laying on the table were a little daunting, but I figured I had youtube if I needed it. I disconnected the battery, and the stock head unit came out with little effort in about 10 minutes. I popped out the center dash speaker cover, and ran the gps antenna through there to the windshield since it’s barely noticible. The cover isn’t snapped all the way back down yet - gonna need to notch it for the wire still. I then ran the mic wire down into the drivers foot area, coiled it up - my plan is to try to swap out the stock mic with the aftermarket one. After that I took the wiring harness and hooked it to the connectors hanging out of my dash to see what’s what. Once I got a idea of what connects to where, I started stripping and soldering up the harness. Then brought the harness back to the truck, laid the head unit on the armrest, and connected everything. Then hooked back up the battery & turned the key...... the new head unit powered up - nice! Then I noticed a few problems - I only had dash speakers working, and the reverse cam would not activate. Well, the CRUX instructions says that a blue/white wire is not used - wrong.... I connected it to the blue/white from the head unit and the amp came on with door speakers - yea!!!
Then I went into the settings on the ILX-107 and the camera was off - I set it to rear, and that worked. So if you use the CRUX harness, the instructions are wrong - hook up the blue/whites also to turn on your amp.
I then finished soldering and taping up the harness, put it all together, connected my iPhone 7+ wirelessly(simple and flawless), and went for a ride. Everything worked great, but I forgot to connect the usb as it was a little shorter than everything else, so now I get to rip it back out to do that tonight. Total time was about 3 beers and 4hrs, and saved about $400 doing it myself. More to follow when I tackle the mic. I love Carplay, I really love wireless CarPlay:D

Attachments

·
Free Tire Finalist
4,610 Posts
WTF?

Only 3 beers in 4 hours. Dude, are you sick or something, might need to get to a doctor..

Oh, the new HU looks good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you use google maps on the head unit via car play or is it just the apple nav app? Can you stream videos from your phone to the screen?
It’s a wireless Apple CarPlay head unit - Maps is the navigation app that interfaces through the connected IPhone via 5Ghz WiFi. Streaming videos is possible through a aux jack, but not sure why you would want to. The idea behind CarPlay is a smarter, safer phone integration while focusing on the road - not watching videos. A iPhone or IPad in the passengers hands is a hell of allot better for watching videos than any head unit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
“Also, are you able to change all of the settings you can with the stock unit, (door lock, interior light, headlight timer, etc) using this head unit?”

Idatalink Maestro would keep factory controls and will show vehicle information, although I used a crux harness instead since my entune hu didn’t do anything you asked anyways. I have full steering wheel control exactly like I did with the stock hu.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It’s a wireless Apple CarPlay head unit - Maps is the navigation app that interfaces through the connected IPhone via 5Ghz WiFi. Streaming videos is possible through a aux jack, but not sure why you would want to. The idea behind CarPlay is a smarter, safer phone integration while focusing on the road - not watching videos. A iPhone or IPad in the passengers hands is a hell of allot better for watching videos than any head unit.
Do I need wifi in my truck for this to work?

·
Registered
16 Posts
No. It creates a private network between iPhone and head unit. I have wireless CarPlay in my M240xi and after having this... it would be hard not to have it in a new vehicle. The previous Alpine version required a lightening/USB connection to the unit. The new model is totally wireless.

·
Registered
50 Posts
No. It creates a private network between iPhone and head unit. I have wireless CarPlay in my M240xi and after having this... it would be hard not to have it in a new vehicle. The previous Alpine version required a lightening/USB connection to the unit. The new model is totally wireless.
Can you mirror your iphone onto your screen? Like you can with an apple tv.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No. It also doesn't have all the apps available on the head unit. Messages/phone/spotify/iheart/pandora/itunes/maps/podcasts/audiobooks/amazon music/siri and a few others.

Even though it doesn't mirror the iPhone nor does it have all the apps available, it is still IMO a great head unit and fulfills phone/messages/siri/music/nav in a well packaged unit.

Crutchfield has a great video https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX107/Alpine-iLX-107.html?search=ilx-107&skipvs=T describing the head unit in more detail.

·
Registered
50 Posts
No. It also doesn't have all the apps available on the head unit. Messages/phone/spotify/iheart/pandora/itunes/maps/podcasts/audiobooks/amazon music/siri and a few others.

Even though it doesn't mirror the iPhone nor does it have all the apps available, it is still IMO a great head unit and fulfills phone/messages/siri/music/nav in a well packaged unit.

Crutchfield has a great video https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX107/Alpine-iLX-107.html?search=ilx-107&skipvs=T describing the head unit in more detail.
Thanks. Surprised for that kind of money they didn't make it capable of mirroring the phone. I want everything on my phone to be able to be viewed on the screen, wirelessly. Maybe a better option for me would bd to install a wifi hot spot and an apple tv, on my stock head unit..

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been looking for options on upgrading a 2012 SR5 with the standard head unit. Aside from the obvious does it read txt to you vice show it? I couldn't find it on the web link. Thanks mate.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts