Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Toyota Tundra CrewMax that sits outside because it won't fit in the garage... Any recommendations on one? One's yall have/or are still using that withstand the different and abrupt weather changes of Texas...

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Covering/uncovering is gonna get real old real fast. I'd recommend investing a good quality synthetic polish and DA polisher to keep the truck protected. I've become a big fan of Zaino products. Zaino Store

Check out the forum detailing section here.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree with Big Shasta, it gets old fast, and I'm in the same situation with the truck not fitting in the garage, but I also have a car that I keep parked outside. I bought a $200 cover for the car and it was a PITA to keep removing and covering the car. I also read how the covers tend to cause more damage than protection and just ditched the cover. Some covers keep moisture in because they don't allow for proper air flow, I have scratches on the car from the cover rubbing when its windy, and as careful as i was being when putting it on or taking it off i still ended up with marks from the rubbing.

I too am a fan of teh Zaino products.

Good luck on what you decide.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Agree with the above posts. Based on personal experience covers are only for cars that are parked for days at the time, otherwise it'll be like throwing your cash away.

·
"The Closer"
10,387 Posts
a brand new crewmax should be seen, not covered..!! :doh:

now if it were a prius... :rolleyes:

:D dikkie :D

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I have a 10x20 canvas carport that was there when I bought my house. I have seen them going for anywhere from 120$ to 3-400$. It isn't 100% protection but it is enough to keep bird droppings and most pollen off the truck and provide a little hail protection. LOVE it because the truck will sometimes sit for a few days and when I didn't used to have anything over it I was always wiping bird crap off.

Mine is anchored to the ground on two of the posts, secured to a fence post on each side with heavy duty zip ties, and wedged in between my fence and garage so I don't have any real problems with wind. If I lived anywhere that regularly got crazy winds I would probably look at other options like spend a few thousand on a metal one anchored in cement or built into the side of a structure. But it is a good option for my weather conditions.

Reactions: nwtundra

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far. I was going that route cuz I don't use my truck every day, its a weekend cruiser. I wanted to keep the bird sh#t and all the other crap off of it.

And "yes" I agree, a CrewMax should be seen, not covered... Just wanted a little protection.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I like eharri3's idea about the canvas carport. I saw one of those at Costco for something like $220. I think it's 10' x 20', has a metal frame that's covered with a heavy poly tarp. Hmmm, not a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
I have a 10x20 canvas carport that was there when I bought my house. I have seen them going for anywhere from 120$ to 3-400$. It isn't 100% protection but it is enough to keep bird droppings and most pollen off the truck and provide a little hail protection. LOVE it because the truck will sometimes sit for a few days and when I didn't used to have anything over it I was always wiping bird crap off.

Mine is anchored to the ground on two of the posts, secured to a fence post on each side with heavy duty zip ties, and wedged in between my fence and garage so I don't have any real problems with wind. If I lived anywhere that regularly got crazy winds I would probably look at other options like spend a few thousand on a metal one anchored in cement or built into the side of a structure. But it is a good option for my weather conditions.
I think harbor freight has these for around 199, I'm thinking of going this route myself.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the carport ideas as well... But, unfortunately, I live in the suburbs with a very strict home owners association.

Great ideas so far.

Tundra Monkey

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have a 2013 Toyota Tundra CrewMax that sits outside because it won't fit in the garage... Any recommendations on one? One's yall have/or are still using that withstand the different and abrupt weather changes of Texas...

Thanks.
I am in the same boat as the OP. I work in the city and take the train so unfortunately my truck sits all week and only gets used on the weekends. The bird crap is destroying my black paint. Does anyone use a car cover and if so can they make a recommendation?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Unless you wash your truck after every time you drive it, you do not want a cover. You will abraid all of the dirt into the paint scratching it. Only time I use or would use a cover is for long term storage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts