Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys?! Thought I'd finally get around to organizing my progress into a build thread to get some feedback and advice.

I'm still a car guy at heart, but after getting married and building a house, I found myself needing something a bit more practical. I finally bit the bullet and decided to get my first truck a few months ago!

While it's a learning experience working on this thing, it has been super fun applying what I've learned in the car world to the truck world. I like to think of this build as a mix between the two.

My first car I actually put a lot of heart and soul into was a Scion tC. A chick car for sure, but still a Toyota. I learned most of what I know with this car.

When it came time to get something new, I thought I had my mind made up. I bought a 2014 2.0T Genesis Coupe. I had a lot of fun with this car, but soon realized it just was not practical for my needs as I grew up. So I parted it out and traded it in on my Tundra almost a year ago.

First day home.

First mod I decided to do was the color matched mirror caps. I also decided to remove the Bushwacker flares because I didn't like the way they flowed.

Had to hit it with a coat of NXT before this summer... and a little liquid encouragement to help.

Next mod was the Rugged Lift 2.5" level kit. I liked the hammertone powdercoat these had. I tackled the install myself, wasn't too bad.

Not long after, my wife got me the NFAB steps for my birthday. Thx bae <3.

Got tired of the oem super whip antenna hitting my garage door, so I opted for a nice 18" OE style replacement.

Got the hookup on some new goodies that have been sitting in my spare bedroom for a few weeks now.

Took advantage of this three day weekend and did some work today!

I liked it before, but I'm loving the front end now. I also swapped out the oem bulbs with some Sylvania zXe's while my front end was apart.

That's it for the time being, but I have a list of things I'm wanting to do in the future. I still haven't decided if I wanted to re-install the bushwacker flare's. I think they might flow better with the bar up front now. I tried selling them but it's a hard sell local, so they are collecting dust anyway.

Follow me on instagram if you want to see more! I'll return the favor: @alkalinedevin

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
So nice! How hard is it to do the mirror caps and where did you get them?

Reactions: theoat

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Well done. And extra points for the nice online presentation of your project.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
So nice! How hard is it to do the mirror caps and where did you get them?
I'll chime in, mirror caps are the easiest mod that there is. Pull the old one off and pop the new one on. No screws or anything. Just clips that stay in place. Literally took two minutes to change both. A one armed bow legged monkey could do it no problem. ;) You should get them from Roman at Toyota of cool springs in Tennessee. He's all over the Pro Grill Trread. That's where I got mine and lots of others did also.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I'll chime in, mirror caps are the easiest mod that there is. Pull the old one off and pop the new one on. No screws or anything. Just clips that stay in place. Literally took two minutes to change both. A one armed bow legged monkey could do it no problem. ;) You should get them from Roman at Toyota of cool springs in Tennessee. He's all over the Pro Grill Trread. That's where I got mine and lots of others did also.
Thanks! I have sent Roman an email so I can order mine. Does he take long to reply? Need me a set in Super White. How much did you pay for yours? Pall park, I know shipping varies.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The Pro insert looks awesome with the chrome! Did you disassemble from the insert? Easy?

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Thanks! I have sent Roman an email so I can order mine. Does he take long to reply? Need me a set in Super White. How much did you pay for yours? Pall park, I know shipping varies.
Roman replies Quickly when the Dealership is open. Usually in the AM. Roman is awesome. He gets the Items sent to him within 24 hours, repackages really well and sends them out same day. Usually get items within 3 or 4 days of ordering depending on how far away from them you are. The caps were $37 a piece plus about $10 in shipping

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I still haven't decided if I wanted to re-install the bushwacker flare's. I think they might flow better with the bar up front now. I tried selling them but it's a hard sell local, so they are collecting dust anyway. @alkalinedevin
You're on to something there. The flares really might work fine now with the bar up front.

Reactions: alkalinedevin

·
Registered
281 Posts
Those look like the Ultra Gunner wheels. Same ones I have but different center caps

·
Registered
281 Posts
You like them? they seem nice and I have not seen them around!!
Yep love them.....southeast toyota had them on the Tundra XP package

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Pro insert looks awesome with the chrome! Did you disassemble from the insert? Easy?
Thanks! Yes I disassembled it from my OEM chrome surround. It was a little tedious to be honest, the way the grills are in these things it's like it was designed to push in and not come back out. I had to take a small flathead and kinda shave the plastic on the old grill insert tabs to get it out.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Got a hold of Roman and 3 days later I had my mirror caps in Super White delivered. That guy is fast.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I think it's safe to say I will be keeping the flares :lol: ...

Decided to tackle the re-install today, but with a little twist.

Not many people realize it, but the bushwacker flares will vibrate and rub a line straight through your paint. One way to prevent that is some PPF underneath.

I installed the flares, ran a grease line, pulled the flares off, and ran the PPF tape using the grease line as a guide.

Nice clean line, not visible from more than a foot away.

All done, gotta say I'm loving the flares now with the more rugged look the truck has.

I also swapped out my headlight bulbs about a week ago. I was tempted to do an LED or HID headlight, but didn't want the hassle of running wires, mounting balast, cutting my boots, etcetera etcetera... So I picked up some Silverstar zXe's and honestly I'm quite impressed with the output.

The output is definitely whiter than the stock bulbs, you can see the difference in the foglight color.

I still have a to do list, but my #1 concerns at the moment are wheel spacers and some new foglight bulbs to match the headlights.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I gotta ask, did you cut the PPF Tape yourself? And where does one get this?

The reason I ask I just got my Pocket Flares and waiting for the Painter( Blue Ribbon Metallic ) don't need my paint rubbed off.

Thanks for any reply!!

JumpnJack

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Look for Door Edge PPF Film, it comes in rolls and is just thick enough to use. I used the 3m stuff for this. It will mold as you apply it and you can make the bends easily.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts