Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to supposedly the best alignment shop in Las Vegas to get my new Zone Offroad UCAs installed and get an alignment. I just picked the truck up and noticed the camber on both the left and the right at +0.9 and the caster at +5.0. Caster is good but the camber is about the same as when I dropped it off. I talked to the technician he said +0.9 is the best they could do. The UCAs that I had installed were designed for a bigger lift. The only way They could get it closer to SoCals specs would be to put on a bigger lift. I currently run OME 612's (about 3 inches is what I got) with Coachbuilder +3s on the rear. Not sure if it matters but I am also currently running stock wheels and tires. The truck drives great but I am seeing tire wear on the outside edge as you would expect with the positive camber. So my questions are these, is the tech out to lunch, should he be able to get it closer to SoCals specs? Also I am planning on getting new wheels and tires in the future (method double standards +25mm offset, and 295/70R18s), will the wheels and bigger tires help get it closer to SoCals specs? Instead of the Zone offroad UCAs should I have gotten adjustable UCAs instead? I don't really want to drop serious coin on new tires if the alignment is just going to ruin them. Any help would be appreciated. On a side note the new UCAs look great. Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm no alignment guru but it sounds like your ucas are overcompensating for the amount of lift you have. You can send pics to Keith at dirty deeds of your 4 alignment cams(make sure to label them) and he could probably tell you exactly what's up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SikYota I'll try that. I've never heard of this being an issue especially since the Zone Offroad UCAs are designed to work with a 2.5-3" lift. I PM'd the Zone Offroad vendor to see what he has to say. In the meantime I'll probably go to another alignment shop. Probably should have gotten the adjustable UCAs, but these looked so promising.

·
Registered
787 Posts
You should not be having those problems with those uca's. Post pics of your alignment cams on here and we can tell you if you have more room or not. And make sure you explain which pic is of which cam and the direction in which it was taken (from front or back)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks GR8White, I'll do that tomorrow, just got back from camping. I hear a lot of people saying that they can sacrifice caster to get the camber right. With +5.0 degrees for caster I feel they could sacrifice some of that to get the camber better but I'm not sure how the geometry of the suspension works. I'll get those picks tomorrow and post them hopefully you guys will be able to tell me better.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thanks GR8White, I'll do that tomorrow, just got back from camping. I hear a lot of people saying that they can sacrifice caster to get the camber right. With +5.0 degrees for caster I feel they could sacrifice some of that to get the camber better but I'm not sure how the geometry of the suspension works. I'll get those picks tomorrow and post them hopefully you guys will be able to tell me better.
Ya....that's not how that works. Increasing caster usually decreases camber. My guess is they tried adjusting caster and camber just off one cam and didn't use front and rear cams to make things nice nice... however, only pics will tell

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pictures of the cams are attached. They are labeled (wasn't sure of the technical naming convention so I hope it makes sense) with the direction the picture is pointing.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the spec sheet as well if it helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
787 Posts
Pictures of the cams are attached. They are labeled (wasn't sure of the technical naming convention so I hope it makes sense) with the direction the picture is pointing.
Not gonna lie, your pics are pretty confusing...lol. The cams are the same on both sides so you only needed 4 pictures from one direction...i.e (all pictures taken from the front and "driver front, driver rear") But either way, you have a ton of adjustment in what I believe is your front cams after reading all your pic descriptions which will lower your camber drastically. Basically both cams do camber and caster but when the big lobes on the cams face in toward the center of the truck, it's usually lowering camber and raising caster. As another way to describe it, when the big cam lobes are turned in and forced against the little metal stoppers, it's forcing the bottom of the lower arm out which in turn is moving the top of the tire in, moving your camber more negative. The alignment tech should be making sure camber is good and then adjusting caster from there. But you are clearly no where near being maxed out

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ya just looked again. Your rears are almost maxed out which would make caster really high but your fronts are less than halfway to max so you've got plenty of room to make adjustments. And looking at your sheet I'm not sure where your toe is because I've never seen it expressed in 32's. Usually it's in degrees.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have had zone ucas installed and am having alignment issues as well. My truck drifts right and has been there twice now for alignment. He said one adjustment was maxed out as far as it would go and said I might see some outside wear on my tread. At a loss as to what to even do at this point.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 2014 with bilstein 6112's on top setting with one CB shim per side for a total of 3 inches of lift. With stock control arms could not get caster and camber were I wanted it to be. So I installed zone uca's, took it to get a alignment and everything dailed in perfectly. I think some alignment techs are just not willing to spend enough time or they are not very experienced. Courios to see what you guys get figured out. Good Luck.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have the Zone UCA's too and did a write up on it. @GR8White is spot on for those tabs. You gotta adjust both tabs to dial things in, not just the rears, and not just the fronts. They work together. I have a 3in lift with coilovers and i got my camber down close to 0.0 and caster over 4 degrees.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm on vacation right now. I'm going to take it to the same shop and talk to the tech who did the original alignment. I'm hoping we can work this out otherwise there may be some slightly used UCAs for sale. I'll let y'all know what happens. Not sure why some get spot on alignments and some are off. I'm thinking it's the tech doing the alignment.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have had zone ucas installed and am having alignment issues as well. My truck drifts right and has been there twice now for alignment. He said one adjustment was maxed out as far as it would go and said I might see some outside wear on my tread. At a loss as to what to even do at this point.
Take pics of your alignment cams and we can let you know if you're maxed out or if you have another failure of an alignment tech

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got back from an alignment shop and got the same statement from the tech guy. @GR8White could you take a look at this pics if i really am maxed out. No printout cause the only place around me that could take it in is an old school shop that does it without computers and lasers. They are pretty well known and respected round here in SoCal though. First set of pics are passenger side front and rear adjustments.

·
Registered
9 Posts
These 2nd set o pics are the plates on the driver's side

As a side note i have Bilstein 6112 on the highest setting and a shim each on both sides to add extra inch on each side. Zone UCA. I heard 2wd are getting higher lifts on the 6112 also and that makes me think that I might be out of zone UCA's limits. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Upper pic is not maxed, lower is. Not sure which cam is which. Problem is, without a printout, I don't know how far you're off and if the adjustment left in that cam will make a difference. On first set of pics

Reactions: HONDUCATI
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.