Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have installed an on-board air system for your air bags, such as the Firestone Air Command or the Air Lift brand equivalent, could you give me an idea of where you mounted the compressor?

I am leaning towards either behind the back seat (may be noisy) or under the hood (closer to the battery would be nice) but if anyone has some experience I would love to hear it, pics would be great as well.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I had one in my Duramax Denali and the compressor was mounted under the back seat. I went with a wireless controller, which I highly recommend. The noise is nothing, it only comes on for a couple seconds, and it is nice knowing that your compressor isn't exposed to the elements.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Someone post some pics, I'm considering this kit as well to go with my Ride Rite Firestone bags.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had one in my Duramax Denali and the compressor was mounted under the back seat. I went with a wireless controller, which I highly recommend. The noise is nothing, it only comes on for a couple seconds, and it is nice knowing that your compressor isn't exposed to the elements.
Thanks, I actually already have the kit but it is not the remote kit as I got a smoking deal on the standard dual kit and could not pass that up, I also could not justify spending twice as much for the remote kit when it does the same thing in the end.

I am going to have a look at it today, I think mounting it behind the back seat would be good like you stated, the only drawback is running the wiring all the way to the battery but I guess it's not that big of a deal.

Funny, but the hardest thing looks to be finding a place to mount the controller since it is actually larger than I though it would be. I may end up ordering some custom gauge plates from RIjon instead of having that huge controller hitting me in the leg constantly. If I do the install this weekend I will post up some pics.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks tri, you obviously are better with the searches than I am b/c I did not find any of those.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Reactions: 2010

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I mounted the compressor under the bed, above the spare tire. Ran the air intake line up behind the passenger tail light. You don't want it in the cab. It's loud and the pressure will correct itself often.

Good Deal on AirLift Wireless System: Today Only - Page 4
Thanks Tox, I was not sure if the trailer wiring could support the compressor but I guess it makes sense that it would since it would, that may be a pretty good option for me since I could have much shorter runs on both the wiring and the tubing.

·
13,742 Posts
The hot wire for the 7 pin plug is a switched power source so it won't drain your battery and it's like 45 amp power so plenty to power the bags unless your trailer draws a lot. All wiring and air lines run under the bed so it was a pretty easy install.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The hot wire for the 7 pin plug is a switched power source so it won't drain your battery and it's like 45 amp power so plenty to power the bags unless your trailer draws a lot. All wiring and air lines run under the bed so it was a pretty easy install.
You happen to remember which wire is the hot wire or have the wiring diagram?

·
13,742 Posts
Black is the 12v+ wire on the back of the 7 pin plug. It's a standard color scheme up to at least the first plug under the truck. Open the front cover of the plug and it's usually labeled. Then just match the pin with the wire on the back of the plug. I made the connection close to the 7 pin plug so I could get to the air pump fuse easily if needed.

The Tundra center pin is a reverse wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I put my compressor inside the frame on the driver side after the exhaust crossover, not worried about noise, mine has manual valves and really dont adjust it that much

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Black is the 12v+ wire on the back of the 7 pin plug. It's a standard color scheme up to at least the first plug under the truck. Open the front cover of the plug and it's usually labeled. Then just match the pin with the wire on the back of the plug. I made the connection close to the 7 pin plug so I could get to the air pump fuse easily if needed.

The Tundra center pin is a reverse wire.
Thanks again Tox!

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went ahead and mounted mine to the frame under the driver door but I have not done the rest of the install yet, once I do, I will post some pics so it may help others.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. I mounted mine in a similar way to yours, but on the passenger side frame rail, inside the boxed part. That location makes running the airlines and wires clean as well. Good luck with the rest of your install.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry for the late reply. I mounted mine in a similar way to yours, but on the passenger side frame rail, inside the boxed part. That location makes running the airlines and wires clean as well. Good luck with the rest of your install.
Thanks man, hoping to have some time tomorrow to work on it. Biggest issue is the dang gauge cluster, I think I may just mount it in the upper glove box.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts