Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for kicks, I decided to calculate the speed of the intake air as it goes from the fender hole into the air filter box. ( Using mostly metric dimensions , for simplicity )

As that hole is about 0.008 m2 in area, as you cruse at 60mph, the air comes through at about 1 Meter per second.

Under full acceleration, it goes up to about 10 m/sec

At idle, only 0.4 m /sec.

The air then spreads out to be filtered and, as the filter is pleated and expands to a much larger area, the speed at which air goes through any filter area is reduced by the ratio of the fender hole to the surface of the filter.

An stock filter has an area of about 0.075 m2,

so the air speed through the filter is :

At idle: about 0.04 m/sec

cruising at 60: 0.1 m/sec

Full acceleration: 1 m/sec

So there we have it !

Not sure how to calculate how much resistance the filter applies to the flow of air, thus how much horsepower a larger filter could potentially gain, but I do not think it will be major.

I used a vacuum gauge at the air filter box to see if there was any vacuum under full throttle and it was insignificant !

A TRD CAI or any other filter system might enlarge the hose to the throttle body and reduce the air turbulence a bit but I do not believe there will be significant power gains.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
A TRD CAI or any other filter system might enlarge the hose to the throttle body and reduce the air turbulence a bit but I do not believe there will be significant power gains.

Cheers
Maybe not, but that big box and red hose look awfully purdy under the hood!

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
1 - 3 of 3 Posts