Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the AIP system exists... It's common for it to fail at 70k+ miles. I understand everything will eventually fail.

My questions are:
1. Why not design a system that is less prone to failure/more durable?
2. Why is it so expensive to replace? I'm not talking labor - the parts themselves are extremely expensive for what they are. For example you can get the same pump with a different pigtail from GM for 1/2 or less the cost from Toyota. Surely the pigtail isn't that expensive.
3. Any plans on replacing AIP with something more durable?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Yupp Toyota has them covered for up to 150K miles. You should have gotten a letter from Toyota about it.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yupp Toyota has them covered for up to 150K miles. You should have gotten a letter from Toyota about it.
Not on 2012+. Search the forums - there are tons of users under 150k miles with a failed AIP and Toyota is making a 'good will' gesture to cover 1/2 of the cost. Considering the mark-up is substantially more than 50% it's laughable.

That said - I posted this in the "Tundra Engineers" section hoping to get some answers from Tundra Engineers. I appreciate everybody else posting but unless you're a Tundra/Toyota engineer I doubt you can really address my questions.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once my platinum bumper to bumper is out I will probably disable it. I don't want to give them any ammunition to deny any warranty claims before the warranty is up.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2011 is only excluded year

Sent from a non-Apple phone, pls excuse that my post isn't broken.
Why would they exclude '11s?

I asked the service manager at my dealer about AIP on the '14 and he said it won't be an issue because it was redesigned. I don't know if anybody has actually looked to see if this is true but I suspect it's not.

·
Retired
10,869 Posts
Why would they exclude '11s?

I asked the service manager at my dealer about AIP on the '14 and he said it won't be an issue because it was redesigned. I don't know if anybody has actually looked to see if this is true but I suspect it's not.
Is all BS, they should all be extended, he'll even the 14 had issues with them

Sent from a non-Apple phone, pls excuse that my post isn't broken.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I am so happy someone brought this up. My 2007 Tundra had the AIP failure and I was without a truck for a week. When I was told it was not covered and I had to pay over $2,000 for the fix, I was needless to say a little hot. This was before the extended warranty, so I started my personal campaign to make sure I didn't pay a penny for this design flaw and started to log all of the AIP failures I could find on the internet at the time that were posted. I found well over 60 posts, copied them, and highlighted the year and mileage of failure. My failure took place in 2010, hens the dates reflected on the attached document.

Here is the thread I started with all of the information I could possibly find on the issue and how I fixed the problem myself.

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-problems-dealer-service-maintenance/93010-dreaded-aip-2442-code.html

I know that all years of the Second Gen tundra have been affected in some way and I continue to see post after post of AIP failures. And it is sad now to see the 2014 affected as well, see links below.

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-problems-dealer-service-maintenance/248282-2014-tundra-aip-problem-6k-miles.html

AIP issue in 2014 Tundra with less than 500km on it!!!

I really hope this gets answered and not just some glossed over answer. Admit there is an issue and try to help all of us understand why it still exists today even with the Third Gen Tundra.

Attached Documents:
Document 1 is the forum complaints
Document 2 is the Auto Recall and Auto Mobile Recall complaints
Document 3 is the TSB on the AIP failure

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had this happen to my 08 and wife took it in it had just 60k and dealer diagnosed light and gave her a car to drive for the day and told her they would call when truck was done they had it fixed in about 4 hrs and no charge they were great my wife ran her errands and picked truck back up and came home.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I had this happen to my 08 and wife took it in it had just 60k and dealer diagnosed light and gave her a car to drive for the day and told her they would call when truck was done they had it fixed in about 4 hrs and no charge they were great my wife ran her errands and picked truck back up and came home.
How the heck did they fix that in 4 hours? My only guess is that they have had some many failures they got really good at switching the parts out. There is a lot involved with removing and replacing these parts. But I guess anything is possible.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
If it was just the pumps and not the valves and the pumps were in stock, this is a 20 minute job. More time taking the truck up and down the lift.

·
Registered
137 Posts
They replaced valves also according to invoice . I was shocked they had the parts but they did the service manager wouldnt let her take it she was going to reschedule the fix as she had an appointment later in day that is how she got the loaner. I know the dealer is an old toyota dealer they have alot of very experienced techs!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts