Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change my K&N air filter due to the miles (90,000) and I don’t want to continue cleaning it. Has anyone tried an aftermarket air filter that is dry and does not have to have oil applied to it? Any recommendations? Such as Afe filters?
  1. Thanks

·
Registered
2009 tundra
6 Posts
I have been using K&N in all my cars for years. The one issue that I am concerned about is the fact that the oil in the filter can affect the maf sensor in newer vehicles. I was checking if anyone had a newer vehicle 2019 or up that could comment on this thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like my AFE, I have the dry filter and I looked at the data, it has equal or better filtration than OEM filter and higher air flow.

I could feel the difference when I switched, I would say the OEM is restrictive.

Don't stay OEM!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've run the full K/N air intake and dual flow master exhaust setup for years on my tundra. Yes it does produced more hp both in the low end and mid range powerband without any additional tune on the truck. With a proper tune for this setup that 5.7 motor picks up solid performance across the power band of the motor, plus it sounds incredible. Too many stock tundras and Raptors have been completely embarrassed by my truck at the stop light even with 35 toyo tires for years the truck has been a beast. Clean and oil it properly and you will be more than fine.

·
Registered
13,682 Posts
If I was in super dusty conditions I would avoid K&N and similar.

But, with that said, I run K&N filter in my truck. I live in the city and have dirt toys to play with in the dirt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If I was in super dusty conditions I would avoid K&N and similar.

But, with that said, I run K&N filter in my truck. I live in the city and have dirt toys to play with in the dirt.
I run the k/n setup on all my dirt toys as well. My 450 quads, can am maverick and my new can am x3 all run full k/n setups. These are all Tucson desert toys and it gets mad dusty especially when we all ride following each other. I've never once had any issues with my high performance motors but then again i always properly clean and oil them.

·
Registered
13,682 Posts
I run the k/n setup on all my dirt toys as well. My 450 quads, can am maverick and my new can am x3 all run full k/n setups. These are all Tucson desert toys and it gets mad dusty especially when we all ride following each other. I've never once had any issues with my high performance motors but then again i always properly clean and oil them.
I maintained mine properly as well, even had an extra filter to swap during weekends, both with outerwears... K&N's allow fine dust through, and that in turn hurt a quad engine I had close to $3500 into. Then I started searching, and it's not uncommon. I would always be in a pack of about 20 other riders, mid summer, super dusty tight trails. And I am not the only one of my friends that have had this issue.

That's why on my truck, which doesn't see dusty conditions no problem. On my toys, nope.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yea never once had an issue with any toy. Utvs, quads, bikes etc and i ride with at least 20 to 35 guys from Phoenix, to glamis, to Tucson and none of us have had any ssues in over 20+ years with our k/n setup. We have blown the shit out of motors running too much boost or stroking the motor or simply not lifting when we should but never any motor damage due to our filter.

·
Registered
2009 tundra
6 Posts
I wouldnt put a K&N on my cub cadet .

Horrible filtration. No real power gain.
I am not sure why your response. Do you realize what takes place to your paper filter once it gets wet? Have you read about the construction of the K/N filter? The filter is cotton cloth, and has a stainless steel frame, could that survive better in a wet environment compared to paper that just falls apart when wet and after it gets some miles on it? We all know how the dirt can get through even small holes and what happens next! You might want to reconsider your choice of filter on your cub cadet!

·
Registered
13,682 Posts
Here is why I won't run K&N on my truck in dusty conditions. There are more analysis out there too.
There is a difference between types of dust too. Sand, no problem, larger particles. Really fine dust like the trails here in the middle of July is what caused my issues. The kind of dust where you take off your jersey, and your undershirt, and you are still coated with dirt/dust, and can see the outline of your A shirt.

As for the above post, a mower filter should never be wet, if it is that wet outside, why are you mowing in a monsoon?

To each their own in my opinion. What's good for the goose, isn't always good for the gander.

Reactions: aggreX

·
Registered
2009 tundra
6 Posts
I am always looking at all info with an open mind. I believe that where you drive makes a difference in the type of filter used as well. I will take that into account. Thanks for the information. As for the comment about the riding lawn mower, I was being Factious, no one mows grass in the rain!

·
Registered
13,682 Posts
I am always looking at all info with an open mind. I believe that where you drive makes a difference in the type of filter used as well. I will take that into account. Thanks for the information. As for the comment about the riding lawn mower, I was being Factious, no one mows grass in the rain!
That is the truth, location varies. No different than rust and other elements.

I am in the O.P.E. industry, and some people do mow in the rain, hahaha. Some mowers (commercial) even have a setting that will give great cutting performance in the rain. However, they're also made for it, and have a Donaldson filtration system.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I am not sure why your response. Do you realize what takes place to your paper filter once it gets wet? Have you read about the construction of the K/N filter? The filter is cotton cloth, and has a stainless steel frame, could that survive better in a wet environment compared to paper that just falls apart when wet and after it gets some miles on it? We all know how the dirt can get through even small holes and what happens next! You might want to reconsider your choice of filter on your cub cadet!
Filtration . Poor.
Grit that passes WILL scratch clyd walls thus ring wear .
Running an Outer Wear cover , only negates any flow increase.
No a K&N will not blow up a naturally aspirated engine BUT will accelerate wear.
See post #13 with lab filtration results .

PS. No moto or flat track bike nor my 26 year old CubCadet will ever have a K&N . Im just not falling for the hype.
The K&N lil back window sticker is not a mod.

To each his own machine , good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try the AFE. It's dry and you can clean/wash it yourself. It's better than OEM. My tundra doesn't down shift as much on inclines due to the increased air flow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
AEM Dryflow.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
OEM cant always be the best, air filter companies do just that test and tune. Just as exhaust companies do, not saying whats the best but when someone studies all they do they usually find a way to improve performance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts