Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any advantages/disadvantages with aftermarket versus OEM wheels looking to get a black wheel set up with BFGK02 275/70–18. I need to figure it out before the sale ends on the 28th. Not sure if any of the aftermarket wheels are hubcentric. ImageUploadedByAG Free1479562798.082333.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1479562815.565951.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1479562832.183650.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1479562900.358057.jpg
Leaning toward the all black TRD pro wheels, just have to find center caps and TPMS for them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
There are a few, but some of them go both ways.

Offsets come to mind.

Also, for some reason no aftermarket wheel I have found holds up to salty weather as good as most oem wheels.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Offset of aftermarket wheels look better and give a more aggressive approach, but they are also very heavy. Oem wheels are a bit lighter and dont through dirt mud etc down the side of your truck. I also believe oem wheels are stronger and have greater load ratings. I have aftermarket wheels and i love the look but sometimes consider going back to stock with a bigger tire. Also dont pay that much for stock wheels if you decide to go that route they are all over craigslist you can ffind TRD pro (the all black) ones usually to if your patient. Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been watching Craigslist no luck with anything cheaper than 800.00 so far, guess I can buy the tire before the sale ends and mount them when I get rims. Dealer prices on the TRD rims are over 400 each.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
There is a set of chrome wheels for 150 on CL. hudson valley area. You could have them powder coated whatever color you like.
One upside of stock wheels is that there are lots of replacements in case 1 gets damaged.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Offset of aftermarket wheels look better and give a more aggressive approach, but they are also very heavy. Oem wheels are a bit lighter and dont through dirt mud etc down the side of your truck. I also believe oem wheels are stronger and have greater load ratings. I have aftermarket wheels and i love the look but sometimes consider going back to stock with a bigger tire. Also dont pay that much for stock wheels if you decide to go that route they are all over craigslist you can ffind TRD pro (the all black) ones usually to if your patient. Good luck!
Most aftermarket rims are quite a bit lighter than stock, but I agree that OEMs are likely stronger. Aftermarket rims I've looked at are usually rated for only 2200 lb. 5 bolts seems to be the problem, since the same rim in 8 bolt is much higher rated. I don't know what the stock rims are rated.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
... looking to get a black wheel set up
Have you considered painting, powdercoating, or plastidipping the wheels you have now?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Most aftermarket rims are quite a bit lighter than stock, but I agree that OEMs are likely stronger. Aftermarket rims I've looked at a8re usually rated for only 2200 lb. 5 bolts seems to be the problem, since the same rim in 8 bolt is much higher rated. I don't know what the stock rims are rated.
I would almost guarantee my fuel wheels weigh more then my stock wheels. When i got them installed i could tell a difference...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Your Fuels are 33 lbs (18x9) which are close to stock. Can't remember where I saw it but someone weighed stock aluminum rims and that is what they got. How did you notice a change in wheel weight?

Just as a for instance, the rim below (18x9) is $130 shipped on ebay and weighs 29lbs.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Your Fuels are 33 lbs (18x9) which are close to stock. Can't remember where I saw it but someone weighed stock aluminum rims and that is what they got. How did you notice a change in wheel weight?

Just as a for instance, the rim below (18x9) is $130 shipped on ebay and weighs 29lbs.

First off thanks for the -1 thumbs down! And second of all, what im saying is that i drove the truck to discount with my stockers and bfg ko2's i then had them through my bfg ko2s onto the new fuel wheels Nd when i left to go home they felt noticeably heavier, whether or not they actually are idk.

·
Registered
759 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you considered painting, powdercoating, or plastidipping the wheels you have now?

I did think about it but I just don't like the looks of them painted plus I want better tires for the winter and keep these for when I tow the camper on long trips

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help, but my impatience took over and I bought the TRD pro wheels from HH wheels for 200 each. I do like the look of those ultra wheels and I wish I saw those first, I didn't really see anything under $180 that I liked. The wheels did not come with the Center caps so I need to still find those and TPMS.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
First off thanks for the -1 thumbs down! And second of all, what im saying is that i drove the truck to discount with my stockers and bfg ko2's i then had them through my bfg ko2s onto the new fuel wheels Nd when i left to go home they felt noticeably heavier, whether or not they actually are idk.
Weird. Maybe the different wheel offset changed the steering feel?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Thanks for the help, but my impatience took over and I bought the TRD pro wheels from HH wheels for 200 each.
Cool. Those are nice wheels. Probably better than any aftermarket wheels for $200.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Thanks for the help, but my impatience took over and I bought the TRD pro wheels from HH wheels for 200 each. I do like the look of those ultra wheels and I wish I saw those first, I didn't really see anything under $180 that I liked. The wheels did not come with the Center caps so I need to still find those and TPMS.
Are those legit TRDPRO wheels, or TRD wheels paint black (like the description reads)?
I realize the Pro wheels are just powdercoated TRD wheels, the description just made me wonder....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are those legit TRDPRO wheels, or TRD wheels paint black (like the description reads)?

I realize the Pro wheels are just powdercoated TRD wheels, the description just made me wonder....

That's a good question but I believe the pro wheels do not have the face grounded flat like the TRD ones. When I talked to him on the phone he said they were stripped and re-powder coated and should be like new condition, but we shall see. I'll post up some pictures when they come in.

·
101 Posts
I wanted to chime in on this thread real quick. There really isn't a huge different between OEM and aftermarket. As far as what can hold up better to salt conditions in snowy areas, I would probably say stock wheels because you aren't worried about keeping them clean. Even aftermarket wheels now are being made with different materials like PVD which looks just like chrome. That is intended to hold up against the salt and the new anti ice material they are using on the roads these days instead of salt. Every year aftermarket wheels get better and better with material being used.

I know a good chunk of this thread is talking about wheel weight. Keep in mind you guys have a full size pickup truck. Let's say (and this is not always the case as aftermarket wheels aren't really that much heavier at all compared to OEM wheels (if you stay with the same size)) your wheels add 30 extra pounds to the trucks total weight, if that is a deal breaker for you, you probably shouldn't be driving a full size pickup truck. Where you lose noticeable MPG's is when you go from stock 18" wheels and tires to let's say 20" wheels and all-terrain tires. I lost about 2 MPG with my '14 Tundra CM when I did that conversion. But again, we aren't in these trucks to save on gas mileage. If you want to stay close to the same gas mileage stay with sizes like what came stock on your truck for wheels and tires and you won't see much of a difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts