Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share some of the details of my subwoofer installation on my 2014 3rd Gen Tundra Limited Crewmax w/JBL audio.
It’s important to start off by saying that this can be picked apart by any audiophile. This is not a perfect/pro setup by any means. I was able to get great results with a relatively minimalist approach. The stock JBL sound system leaves MUCH too be desired and I have to say that I was thoroughly disappointed in the whole setup. Especially the flabby factory subwoofer. Just sounded like a mess when you turn it up loud.
I had a couple of main goals with this. One was to keep the stock look and utilize the factory head unit. I didn’t want to mess with this relatively new truck. I wanted the upgrade to be unnoticeable to the eye. The other was to improve the messy bass coming from that stock subwoofer.

I decided to install an aftermarket amp and 10" sub

Sub needs to be a a "Shallow Mount" type of speaker to fit behind the seat

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108REF120S/Infinity-REF1200S.html?tp=111&awkw=123414538585&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=64647521905&awdv=c&awug=9019608

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRVM500/Alpine-MRV-M500.html?tp=115&awkw=75621548185&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47439291385&awdv=c&awug=9019609

I also ordered and installed the LC2I Line Output converter, but I would not recommend because as it turns out the subwoofer signal is just fine.

https://www.ebay.com/i/252351635643?chn=ps

I was apprehensive about this as I planned to use the signal going to the factory subwoofer. Just was not sure how clean it would be. As it turns out, it worked great.
As a side note if you have the same stock setup with subwoofer that I have I would recommend just unplugging the subwoofer to improve the sound. Upon unplugging mine it seemed as though it allowed the door speakers and tweeters to be powered more adequately. It actually sounded better! Surprising I know but give it a try
I only needed to run a positive cable from the battery, install a ground and run the amp gain control knob under the dash. The subwoofer signal already ran behind the rear seat (stock), and the Line output converter turns on and off automatically when it senses an audio signal so no need for a remote wire.
Below are the speaker box build measurements and install photos (sorry for the crude drawings, it should be accurate though). The sealed box is .5 cubic feet I believe. You can see I had to extend part of the box in order to get to .5 and still fit it behind the rear seat. It’s a perfect fit. Seat functions completely normal, you don’t even know it’s there.
Very happy with how this turned out and would highly recommend this to anyone who is frustrated with their stock audio system. Seemingly factory but certainly sounds much much better. I was blown away by the results. The better sounding satellite speakers due to the stock amp not having to power the old factory subwoofer combined with the cleaner louder bass make a great combination.

Molding Material property Wood Ceiling Metal

Text Line Design Parallel Diagram

Wood Floor Tire Automotive tire Flooring

Workbench Table Furniture Wood Shelf

Wood Table Workbench Furniture Plywood

Table Wood Furniture woodworking Plywood

Wood Plywood Table Hardwood Furniture

Subwoofer Loudspeaker Audio equipment Vehicle audio Car subwoofer

Subwoofer Loudspeaker Audio equipment Vehicle audio Electronic device

Subwoofer Loudspeaker Sound box Car subwoofer Audio equipment

Electronics Audio equipment Loudspeaker Computer speaker Technology

Audio equipment Subwoofer Loudspeaker Vehicle audio Technology

Any questions let me know.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
yes nice work. I tapped the rear sub from the OEM amp but never did install anything additional yet. I have grown use to my 2014 "JBL" system..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Nice job! Looks good, glad you are happy with the results.

I’m about to fix my JBL (Junk But Loud), well kinda loud. That’s an old sound engineer joke.....anyways!

Using the LC2i is actually much needed! The accubass feature makes a great difference in bass and you’d miss it if you didn’t.

Enjoy the new beats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
I remember the junk but loud

The stock one isn’t even loud though lol

I don’t miss any of that at all, all mine is sitting in my garage for when I sell the truck

Not only is the equipment crap Toyota/jbl has the tuning way off with way too much bass out of the front doors and nothing out of the sub. They tried to use the front door speakers act like front subs lol

I’ve owned a lot of Toyota’s and my 16 platinum top of line stock system was by far the worst.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Jbl isn’t loud for once lol that normally was for “pro” audio

You are correct, the tuning is way off and the sub is barely there

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
Ya much happier now with it all gone and some actual high quality sound

I’ll throw it all back in when I sell

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ya much happier now with it all gone and some actual high quality sound

I’ll throw it all back in when I sell

That’s what I do as well!!!

I’m just happy this time it all is plug and play harnesses....my f-150 I had to splice into the harness

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad I have the LC2I as it senses the audio signal and turns on and off the amp (my amp didn't have that feature built in). I will say I tried all sorts of different settings on the LC2I to see if I noticed sound improvements. bass tended to get boomy and overstated. I believe I left all controls near zero or bottomed out and the signal still is clean and clear enough without needing to turn the amp gain up passed 50%. Everything I read online was that the LC2I was certainly the right thing to incorporate, in my scenario I didn't really see its benefit to the sound quality.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.