Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to install an aftermarket sub while utilizing the factory jbl amp? I want more bass without doing too much to the factory jbl system. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Has anyone tried to install an aftermarket sub while utilizing the factory jbl amp? I want more bass without doing too much to the factory jbl system. Any ideas? Thanks.
You would have Beyer luck ruining an aftermarket App to the factory sub, the factory App had very little part the reason it works with the factory sub is that the sub is very efficient so it doesn't need much part to pay sirts koud, if you install a better sub it will actually end up being less bass, because a better sub won't be as efficient as the factory.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the only way to get more bass out of the factory jbl system would be to replace the amp and sub? I'm not looking for glass shattering bass, just something a little more substantial.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I take it that "I'm not looking for glass shattering bass" means that you don't want to take the rear seat out and replace it with a box and four 15's? So everything else is fair game? We've had people on here put an afermarket sub in the factory enclosure and it sounded like crap both with the factory JBL amp and with and afermarket amp. The factry sub, amp, and enclosuee are made to only work with each other. The sub is very efficient and only needs a tiny amount of airspace which is about all the factory enclosure has.

Your best bet is to either get one of the self powered subs from someone like Sound Ordinance or Alpine or buy one of the many premade enclosures for our trucks and buy however majy subs it will take or have a shop build you a custom enclosure. I have two JL 10's in a ported enclosure under my back seat and my neighbors can hear it when I crank it up but that's mostly from the speakers in the doors and I haven't shattered any glass yet.

Reactions: Hcrdnk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the ideas. I'm really trying to save space. I have an aftermarket storage box under the rear seat that I would prefer to keep and not have to modify. If I were to add a powered sub (under seat model) would I be able to continue to use the stock sub as well? Just run the inputs inline with the stock sub?

·
Super Moderator
15,631 Posts
You would have Beyer luck ruining an aftermarket App to the factory sub, the factory App had very little part the reason it works with the factory sub is that the sub is very efficient so it doesn't need much part to pay sirts koud, if you install a better sub it will actually end up being less bass, because a better sub won't be as efficient as the factory.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
dude are you having a stroke??

:lol5:

op, i also have an under seat storage box and had originally a jbl subwoofer.
pulled the sub out & replaced it with a slim box with a slim alpine type r 12" and powered it with a rockford fosgate amplifier from the stock jbl nav head unit.

sounds great and still have plenty of room for tools & crap in the box.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you ever thought about a tactile transducer?

I know that is a strange term. Imagine a "bass shaker" built with modern technology.

Since bass is mostly felt and not heard, this makes a lot of sense.

I ran one of these in my 08 DC on the hump under the back seat. I spliced it (parallel) in to my factory sub wiring. It felt like a very nice deep 12". I can only imagine if I had run a small separate amp to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts