Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 is prewired for the fog lights, but I'm guessing it's more than plug them in and they'll work. Should I try to use the factory hookups or just go with the install kit?

· Registered
833 Posts
i bought a pair of flea bay from ToyotaMcDunnough (?) and the kit is awesome. he had good detailed instructions for a basic install running there wires and switch which i originally intended to do until i read the customer suggestions for alternate hookups. my 08' is pre wired so i grabbed the connecters for the fog lights and connected them under the bumper, replaced my knockouts to the left of the steering wheel with there switch, grounded 1 wire to the left kick panel, tapped the running lights. now, i run my fogs when i switch the parking lights on only or headlight highs and lows. i won't be able to check the wires for color verification 'til later cause it's easter and i want to squeeze a ride in before the family get's in.
update: i went outside real quick and snapped photos for ya!

1. picture of switch (illuminates green) that came with the kit installed to the left of the steering column

2. the fog light

3. the ground switch light above the kick panel with an existing factory bolt

4. the tap for juice. left wire red wire from switch taps into factory emerald green thick guage wire and grey wire from switch to a light blue thin guage wire on the right. these are located almost directly behind the switch and a bit left.

pm me if you get jammed up!
nick

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Attachments

· Registered
42 Posts
If you have the chrome bumper, I have some OEM type light assemblies that would fit that I bought by mistake on ebay. I have the plastic bumper and they don't fit. I have already used the wiring and switch from the kit, but you're welcome to have the lights. I don't think I can return them without the other hardware.

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well looks like I need to buy the relay to make my prewired truck work.

So those have done this, does the fog light switch light up with all the rest of the illuminated switches or is it always illuminated or only when you push it on?

And following the tundra part.com instructions that will also make it anytime foglights correct?

· Premium Member
3,547 Posts
I picked up a set from amazon as well. My kit came with the relay and the switch. The switch does light up. Looks like it grew there. Very pleased with the amazon kit. The only negative I could offer is that the wiring tot he right light was pretty tight. Not much wxtra wire to run acroos to the right light.

As stated above, I used the kit and not my prewired truck harness. I liked having the extra option of running the fog with the headlights on bright. The factory fogs turn off when you switch to high beams.

· "Resident Liberal"
13,624 Posts
I already have the factory fogs but if I didn't have it, I would probably wire them seperately so I could turn them on anytime.

I know there is the mod that allows them anytime but my HID's don't necessarily fire every time.

· Registered
35 Posts
I bought a set off e-bay installed I used the kit that came with the lights instead of the ones that are already pre-wired. I tapped into the DRL's to give me that constant power also to use with my regular lights instead of the way the pre-wires will do. If you use the pre-wire set up it will cut your fogs off when you switch over to high beams.

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went a head and installed with the kit relay etc. everything is working great. Maybe I'll Buy another harness and use the prewired setup for something else haha.

Now to decide to yellow tint them or yellow tint them and add yellow bulbs.

· Registered
12 Posts
I accidently purchased a kit for Non-Pre-Wired and Im trying decide if I want to try to make it work. The kit I have has a wiring harness with relay , fuse, and switch.

Their switch has 3 wires. Red, Black, and Yellow. Do you know where I would hook these up in regards to the green and light blue wire discussed above? Do you think in my case the blue wire you had is yellow? Does that go to the relay? My kit says not to be installed with Pre-Wiring, but Im sure I can using the method you used. Here is my kit. If you scroll down to the bottom you will see a link for the wiring harness.

2007-2013 Toyota Tundra OEM Style Fog Lights, WJ30-0328-09 | Winjet Blog

Thanks in advance.

· Premium Member
1,809 Posts
I accidently purchased a kit for Non-Pre-Wired and Im trying decide if I want to try to make it work. The kit I have has a wiring harness with relay , fuse, and switch.

Their switch has 3 wires. Red, Black, and Yellow. Do you know where I would hook these up in regards to the green and light blue wire discussed above? Do you think in my case the blue wire you had is yellow? Does that go to the relay? My kit says not to be installed with Pre-Wiring, but Im sure I can using the method you used. Here is my kit. If you scroll down to the bottom you will see a link for the wiring harness.

2007-2013 Toyota Tundra OEM Style Fog Lights, WJ30-0328-09 | Winjet Blog

Thanks in advance.
Are you adding extra or trying to replace factory? If you do not have factory fogs but do have the factory harness you can tie into the factory harness and use your light stab as the switch.

If you are adding additional just use the wiring diagram, need specifics please feel free to pm me. I have wired tons of extra lights. Currently traveling back home so it may be a delay in response time but will answe r your pm ASAP.

· Registered
12 Posts
I'm adding fog lights for the first time. Using the existing pre-wired wiring harness. My concern is that on the website for the vendor of the fog lights in bold letters they say not for prewired but I think I can make it work and I'm trying to figure out the wiring diagram for the switch.

The switch has three wires red black and yellow. I'm wondering if I can install the switch and splice into the green and blue wire as discussed above and install a relay in the fuse box if that will work with my light assembly I don't see how it couldn't.

· Premium Member
1,809 Posts
I'm adding fog lights for the first time. Using the existing pre-wired wiring harness. My concern is that on the website for the vendor of the fog lights in bold letters they say not for prewired but I think I can make it work and I'm trying to figure out the wiring diagram for the switch.

The switch has three wires red black and yellow. I'm wondering if I can install the switch and splice into the green and blue wire as discussed above and install a relay in the fuse box if that will work with my light assembly I don't see how it couldn't.[/

Give me a min to look at your system

· Premium Member
1,809 Posts

The switch has three wires red black and yellow. I'm wondering if I can install the switch and splice into the green and blue wire as discussed above and install a relay in the fuse box if that will work with my light assembly I don't see how it couldn't.
The problem with using the existing wires are that they are tied through your trucks relay/ lighting system. Being that they will only power on if you have your oem light switch on and then turn on the fog light switch. You could always bypass that by using a constant power source but that would defeat the purpose.

If I was in your shoes knowing everything in your system is plug and play without headaches making unintentional problems by cutting and splicing I would just use the entire system as you purchased it.

My current setup is 3 sets of Hella 500FF,s one of which I used the oem switch and the other 2 sets I rany my own wires, relays and double led AOB switches. I also have my LED lamp above my winch.

Save yourself the headaches, the kit you purchased seems and appears to be a very easy install. Need any help just pm

Reactions: JFI and woo woo

· Registered
5 Posts
Hello,
I am trying to install fog lights in my 2011 Tundra. I bought this kit and planned on using the WinJet video that was posted by woo woo a few posts up but realized that the video at that link is for using the pre-wired harness. I want to use the full kit so I can run my fogs whenever. Also at that link is their diagram of the entire wiring kit (i've attached that PDF to this post).

I'm very mechanically inclined, so I know the task isn't outside my realm of ability. However, I've never done any sort of wiring work for a car, so I just want to be 100% I'm doing everything correctly. Getting the lamp assembly in is no problem and I know I just need to plug the wiring harness into the female input on the back of the bulb.

From there, I know I need to go to the battery with one line and to the truck body with the ground, but what then do I do with the relay and fuse? I'm pre-wired for the fogs, but like I said, I want to be able to run them with the high beams. Do I just let them "dangle" (for lack of a better word) somewhere near the fuse/relay box? Or do I need to pull the box out and run the new wiring through it? (Please say no to that last question, haha.)

From there, I know I take the yellow wire to pass through the firewall, but how do I get through the firewall? Do I need to drill a hole? Or should I somehow use this grommet?

Finally, once I get inside of the cab, how do I splice the ignition wire to the "key on power" ignition wire? I do not have the brown connector on the ignition wire like it shows on the diagram I linked to above, but I do have this small red connector. I can see that the arm of the connector comes over the top to click in to the right side of it, but do I run the wires under there to slice them or do I run them through the holes in the middle? And which wire inside is the "Key on power" ignition wire?

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to be sure I have each step correct.

Thanks!
Chris

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.