Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARRRG!!! Just purchased a Volant 18857 PowerCore cold air intake system for my 2013 crewmax, 5.7L FFV 4X4 and although the install was a breeze...there were discrepancies.
1) Out of the 6 bolts that secure the throttle body attachement to the actual CAI housing, one of the nutplates within (and of course absolutely obstucted) was the incorrect part installed. Fastner sticks out about 1/8 inch, and although it's secure and tighter than all get-up, it is certainly quite the eye-sore once you pop the hood. No noted performance effect(s).
2) And this is the biggie. Where the CAI house seats against the fender bulkhead does NOT seat flushly nor does it fit properly. The Volant CAI is quite a bit larger and covers majority of the fender bulkhead, the CAI housing is offset allowing the CAI to draw additional (warm) air from the engine bay. FAIL Volant. Although once you install the air filter itself and secure the filter housing cover, no defects are visable. I suppose out of sight, out of mind. No noted performance effect(s).
The company claims that due to the "narrow" stock fender bulkhead opening being so narrow it limits the aftermarket CAI air flow. So they purposely off-set the 18857 with the fender bulkhead to allow additional air flow to help performance. My honest opinion is someone dicked up the measurements AFTER production and they didn't notice the defect until it was already out the door.
Now, moving on. I pressed with pride after the super easy install and ops checked this puppy with the quickness. Let me tell you, all the other Volant PowerCore reviews on the Tundra are absolutely spot on about performance. Outside of the cab, it all still sounds stock. But within the cab is another story all together. You can hear the "spin up" or "wind up" and the engine's roar is substantially more aggressive. Pedal response is noticable and addicting.

My personal recommendation after reading similar reviews is simple: it is better than stock. Hands down. Additional aggression in tone and increased pedal response. In this reviewer's eyes, the lesson learnt + $300 = worth it.

Now, I know all of you are probably wondering "what kind of HP increase?" and "what about fuel economy effects?". More to come about that, before Volant's PowerCore CAI install I averaged 13 MPG in the city. This current tank is a litter under half and soon to be gone. I will post an update about that soon enough. As for HP...unknown. I wish I knew of Dyno or performance shop around here. God know's they'd stay in business with just me as a customer. So YOU will have to let me know what kind of HP gains ya'll get.

Well hope this is somewhat helpful and/or informational for those of you out there looking at Volant. Oh, one last thing. If you decide Volant is the way to go...get it on sale.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Get some extra weather stripping to add around the foam that goes against the fender. I had 1 of the bolts stick out an 1/8 inch.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get some extra weather stripping to add around the foam that goes against the fender. I had 1 of the bolts stick out an 1/8 inch.
cbanicki, wouldn't adding the additional weather stripping have negative effects on the amount of air intake? I would think if anything it would narrow the obvious gap and reduce the air flow. Is this a cosmetic solution or a performance solution? How does this effect the new CAI? Still trying to learn.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Banned
314 Posts
That was a great writeup Stellar!

cbanicki is suggesting that you make a better seal between the airbox and the hole in the fender in which it draws air from, theoretically only drawing air from outside the engine bay.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Nice write up..I used some of that pipe insulation you use for Hot Water pipes once to correct the fender gap issue..put the stuff on with the C to the outside and put some goop on it. Stayed there tight till the day I sold it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was just looking at this very model. Last CAI I bought was in 2010 and was an AFE Stage 2si that went in with zero issues. Ran it flawlessly for 15k miles, put the stock box back in and sold the truck and CAI. Butt dyno said maybe an increase, + 1/2 mpg. Now I read the AFE's are having issues so I was just looking at this Volant. Sounds like it was a real cluster to be honest.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had also been reading up on aFe CAI stage 2 and they seem to have the same current problem that I endured with my Volant. Just sharing information that I'd come across. I took cbanicki up on his advice and installed some all-weather stripping on the fender bulkhead opening, it now seats against the Volant air box more secure and flush against the bulkhead. Still running that gas tank on low, should be refueled so I can update ya'll by COB today.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Honestly, I now just run the AFE drop in re useable filters. Supposely a little mpg gain, less restriction, and still get the low end torque that you seem to lose with the aftermarket stuff. On previous rides I had S&B, AFE stage 2 and volant...for 400 bucks the $45 drop in tear out the charcoal crap makes me feel good.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alrighty, so the results are in. I'm getting approximately 16 MPG, city, now. That's a huge WIN in my book. So, not too shabby other then the few "minor" hiccups during installation. Hope this helps some of ya'll in your selection!

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I've had several customers report that they gained some mpg with their Volant. That's the intake that I carry here at DirtyDeedsIndustries. I got scared when I first read about your install woes though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Congrats on the mpg! My display reads 13 right now because all I have done is city driving.

I was between that Volant and the same AFE I had before, decided to go with the AFE due to the last one I put in took no time at all. I did check the return policy (got it on Amazon) and they said 30 days used or not so I will run a tank and see what the numbers look like. Now if my damn ScanGuage would get here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That was a great writeup Stellar!

cbanicki is suggesting that you make a better seal between the airbox and the hole in the fender in which it draws air from, theoretically only drawing air from outside the engine bay.
Thank you. Posted it before I had a chance. Had to test out the supercharger off road. Had to get back to the "real" world before I could check anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts