Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier in the week I took a test drive on a CM 5.7 4x4 Platinum

I was more than pleasantly surprised by the level of comfort. The vented leather seats on the Platinum are more comfortable than the seats on my BMW.
The cabin was reasonably quiet at highway speeds which is quite important for me. I realized I will have to get used to driving a truck as I've always only had small cars.
The engine drone was a bit weird as it sounded different at various speeds. Not sure I really like that sound much. Are there any solutions to that?

Now I'm busy shopping prices. My favorite choice is Silver with RedRock interior but this looks like it will have to be a special order and thus reduce my ability to negotiate on price.

The PLT also seems to default have the plasticky looking bed-liner and deck rail. Do the spray on bed-liners like Line-X / Rhino go on top of this or would I need to remove this bed-liner and get the spray-on ?

I've read through the pricing thread on TT and it looks like most people are paying roughly 15% under the MSRP but I didn't notice too many posts on prices for the Platinum.

Thanks for reading.
-V

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Check out the video/audio sub forum. There are guys who install sound-deadening material to make it quieter.

Engine drone? Get a sweet sounding exhaust and you won't hear it. :D

I would think silver/red rock is relatively easy to find. Might be wrong on that.

Good luck with buying. Mine is non-Plat, so I am not much help there.

Tundra's don't come with bed liner. It's probably an added option for Platinum Tundra's at some dealerships. I would look for one without any bed liner installed. It will be much easier to line x the bed without another bed liner installed (my guess is you have to take it off first before installing line x).

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Rhino or line-x will replace the plastic liner. If you for sure are going to get a spray in liner then don't get the plastic from the dealer because you'll have to take it out anyways.

·
Banned
513 Posts
As much as I hate to say it... the v8 sound cannot be changed. If you want something quiet going down the road and like the luxury of the platinum, you may take a peek at the f150 platinums. I've had some bad experience with the f150 EB, but they finally fixed it within the last 2-3 weeks. The Tundra is a great truck hands down, but the f150 is a good truck in it's own regards and with the EB you won't have the v8 drone. 5.7l is a monster and does drink gas and will pull just about anything you put behind it.

What's more is you can custom build f150s to your own specifications as far as features and colors. Toyota is more along the lines of you get this package or that package.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Tundra's don't come with bed liner. It's probably an added option for Platinum Tundra's at some dealerships. I would look for one without any bed liner installed. It will be much easier to line x the bed without another bed liner installed (my guess is you have to take it off first before installing line x).
tundras most certaintly do come from the factory with a bedliner,had a toyota bedliner in my 08 and in my 12,and just about every tundra at my local dealer has one.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
You know I was thinking the same thing. I had forgotten that I pull those plastic pieces of crap out as soon as I can. Shit slides all over on that slippery stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You know, call me cheap or ignorant...but I actually requested the plastic liner in the bed of my new Tundra. I had it in my last one, and I love how easy it was to drag bales of hay out of there.

Hmm. Wonder what I'm missing....

·
Registered
371 Posts
The engine drone was a bit weird as it sounded different at various speeds. Not sure I really like that sound much. Are there any solutions to that?
-V
Nissan leaf, no engine drone there:D

Reactions: Toxarch

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
tundras most certaintly do come from the factory with a bedliner,had a toyota bedliner in my 08 and in my 12,and just about every tundra at my local dealer has one.
Mine came without any bedliner. When I was shopping for a truck back in 2010, most trucks I saw didn't come with any bedliner. Unless something has changed, that's a news to me.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I dynamat, MLV the entire floor & door of the Tundra. It quieted things down quite a bit (exhaust noise and road noise). However, can't really do much with the firewall because it'll be crazy complicated to remove the dash so I skipped that. Turned out now I hear all the engine noises (as everything else is quiet). I now can hear my SC whines over my exhaust...

Then I realized, this is a truck...it'll never be as quiet as my LS460 so I gave up...lol

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Plastic bedliner is a factory option. They are OK. Maybe some dealers like them and order them on all their trucks. Probably a pretty good profit built in to the option. The problem with them is that you think it protects the paint and metal under the liner. Years later when you remove it, you find patches of the paint gone and rust. Dirt and water get trapped under the liner. The liner and dirt rub the paint until it is gone and the water leads to rust. I knew a guy who had corn stalks growing from under the liner from a few deer corn kernels that got underneath it. No clue how they had enough nutrients to grow 3 feet tall.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine came without any bedliner. When I was shopping for a truck back in 2010, most trucks I saw didn't come with any bedliner. Unless something has changed, that's a news to me.
most of the Tundras in these parts (northern NJ) come with the Bedliner. It even looks and feels like cheesy plastic

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nissan leaf, no engine drone there:D
it's not the noise that bothers me. my 335i can get pretty loud when the twin-turbos kick in. it's like the 5.7 engine has a weird drone which varies at different speeds.. i should research exhaust options i guess

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Never heard of drone on a stock Tundra unless it came with the TRD exhaust.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Never heard of drone on a stock Tundra unless it came with the TRD exhaust.
He may be talking about what we refer to as "rumble" :dunno: I actually wish mine had a louder rumble from factory.

The BMW 6 popper sound is very different than anything else on the road. One of the best sounding engines if you ask me. A bigger V8 such as the 350ci will have a very different sound, lower rpm's have a lot to do with that. My brother and I always loved the sound of a V8, "music to my ears" was always the words out of our mouths when we heard a V8 rumbled.

·
"The Midnight Modder"
11,213 Posts
You know, call me cheap or ignorant...but I actually requested the plastic liner in the bed of my new Tundra. I had it in my last one, and I love how easy it was to drag bales of hay out of there.

Hmm. Wonder what I'm missing....
You will be missing rust spots slowly eating through bed under the plastic liner

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
"The Midnight Modder"
11,213 Posts
Every F150 I hear has a whine in the engine. Hard to describe it but reminds me of wind up toys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Availability all depends on the area you live in. you should not pay any more through your dealer for a located vehicle, and do not feel that you don't have any negotiation room either. Source: I work for a Toyota dealership in the Gulf States region. bedliners of all types are distributor added (e.g. Gulf States Toyota affixes the options that do not come directly from the factory.) Your options for bedliners are drop-in (slick plastic), spray-in (rougher texture but completely formed to bed), and unlined.

As far as Red Rock goes, I recommend either Super White or Magnetic Gray Metallic for the exterior.

Hope I was of some assistance!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts