Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Fella's-

So I am headed out today look at replacing my Stock Nav Unit and looking for something with Apple Play and updated features. I was told that I need to look for a unit that is Maestro compatible as it will keep the stock units settings as well as steering wheel controls. I hear some units will display TPMS status as well which would be a great.

So on that note, I would love to hear from those of you who have replaced the stock head unit in a Tundra and get your thoughts on the Pro's and Con's. Pics would be great as well!!

Thanks-

TR

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
pioneer nex8200, alpine 5 channel amp, replace front and rear door speaker separates and mount usb's/HDMI in center console. works well.
On Amazon and Crutchfield the nex8200 gets good reviews. Some reviewers suggest reliability issues (this may be early units), and suggest purchasing with a good return policy. But Crutchfield, with great support/service, lists this as no longer available.

Have you had any reliability problems or glitches during install?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
nope. its definitely a world different sound. I have not used the video portion as I dont really find the small screen enjoyable to look at when not driving. I did take some time after a friends shop installed it to tidy up the install, make all the wiring neat and similar length. I extended the Meastro piece and put it under the AC blower fan, easier to get to if I want to reprogram steering wheel controls. This also allowed me to make sure nothing would rattle around behind the head unit.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
pioneer nex8200, alpine 5 channel amp, replace front and rear door speaker separates and mount usb's/HDMI in center console. works well.
^ I did this but with a Kenwood DDX9903S.

I love the HU but hate that I have to touch it every time on start to cancel a warning.
I used an Alpine PDX V9, Focal door speakers, and a JL Audio twin 10" Stealthbox sub.

Front doors.

Rear doors.

Sub..

Used the Alpine RUX-KNOB Remote Bass Level Control Knob for the amp, a must IMHO.

Did some sound deadening..

I also replaced one of the 12V (cigarette lighter) plugs with a USB/HDMI, but I never use the HDMI.

You can retain your OEM USB with this adapter.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-sN1FGd1IGth/p_120TOYUSB/Metra-AX-TOYUSB-USB-Port-Cable.html

I ended up disconnecting all the dash speakers.
Everything works, bluetooth, phone calls etc..

·
Registered
88 Posts
I also have the kenwood ddx9903s. Probably one of the best hu for the money. You can find it on sale for 450-550 if you get lucky. I ended up changing the while jbl system and adding dynamat speaker kits. Sounds so much better and I don't have to crank up the volume half way to hear the music.

If you want android auto, I would wait for the new line of android auto HU. Google has announced that Android auto will be supporting wireless connectivity.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also have the kenwood ddx9903s. Probably one of the best hu for the money. You can find it on sale for 450-550 if you get lucky. I ended up changing the while jbl system and adding dynamat speaker kits. Sounds so much better and I don't have to crank up the volume half way to hear the music.

If you want android auto, I would wait for the new line of android auto HU. Google has announced that Android auto will be supporting wireless connectivity.
Which HU's are you referring to, Im really curious? Are you talking about these?

https://9to5google.com/2017/05/19/new-pioneer-nex-android-auto/

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Anyone figure out how to get rid of the 9903s warning screen on startup?
I emailed Kenwood and they told me 'tough shit, deal with it'.

I also tried to change the startup image using a youtube video and can't get that to work either..

I also would have liked the titles to scroll on their own.

Other than that I love it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Anyone figure out how to get rid of the 9903s warning screen on startup?
I emailed Kenwood and they told me 'tough shit, deal with it'.

I also tried to change the startup image using a youtube video and can't get that to work either..

I also would have liked the titles to scroll on their own.

Other than that I love it.
I understand you cant get rid of it.. But the latest units come with an option to have it clear after 10 seconds.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I went with a Pioneer 4200NEX with Maestro RR and it's great - all in, including harness, micro bypass, and Maestro module I spent about $550. Otherwise I'm on stock JBL. I will probably upgrade to one of the wireless android auto headunits when they are available.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
"Sub"-scribed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just ordered the Pioneer AVH 2330 NEX and idatalink Maestro. Installing next week along with 2 Mosconi Gladen amps, Focal KRX2 midbass, Audison Voce tweeters, single 10" Infinity sub.

·
Registered
4 Posts
People with aftermarket stereos are you getting any better glare performance vs the stock entune unit? I’m ready to do something about it, but only if aftermarket solution improves the glare.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I have a 2012 CrewMax without Nav or JBL.

I got a Kenwood DDX-9904S from Tech12volt.com with Maestro RR unit, SiriusXM tuner, Metra dash kit, Maestro wiring harness, new tweeters for the dash, Hertz K170s and adapters for the doors, and JBL door sails for the Hertz tweeters.

I installed the deck this weekend, and will do the speakers this coming weekend.

Very happy with the result.

·
Registered
131 Posts
People with aftermarket stereos are you getting any better glare performance vs the stock entune unit? I’m ready to do something about it, but only if aftermarket solution improves the glare.
You can change the angle of the face of the Kenwood so yeah... glare is no problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.