Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finally found some time yesterday to install my aFe CAI in my 2010 CM. Pretty straight forward install. Had a few minor problems (one of the OE screws that hold the MAF in the OE intake tube decided to strip out), but nothing major.

It took me a few minutes to figure out what to do w that 14" strip of weather strip:confused:. I guess you're supposed to trim it to size and line the fender hole w it so the tube from the box fits nice and snug?:confused:

I decided not to do this for some reason. Will this cause any problems? Should I go back and install the weather strip? What do you guys think? Anybody else forgo the weather strip? Please enlighten this junior member:cool:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just put mine in about 5 days ago, I skipped that 14" strip as well. I did find some information from another site's thread at:

AFE Cold Air Intake - Post Installation Thoughts/Review - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

Apparently it goes on the neck of the tube between the box and the fender wall. don't see why you really need it anyways as there is a 2x4" hole in the box and the intake doesn't draw 100% of its air through fender wall. I might go back in and put it on but not seeing the point right now unless someone on here has a good reason for doing so.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
893 Posts
ok, but what about a "review" on the performance of the afe.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quick review.....

Haven't driven enough miles w/the new aFe CAI installed yet, but the sweet sound emanating from under my hood keeps me smiling and pressing harder on my accelerator:D

The CAI in conjunction w/my MagnaFlow exhaust is music to my ears, and I'm sure the performance benefits outweigh the OE parts, so I'm happy there too.

Like everybody else here that's opted for the aFe, my only complaint is the poor fitment in regards to the filter box, and how it's tube doesn't fill the fender hole like the OE box. If aFe re-engineered this, then it would be perfect.

I may go back and use the 14" piece of weather stripping they supply to line the fender hole as shown in the video I linked in a previous post; but I've read that it too doesn't provide for a tight seal. I went to Home Depot after work today, and bought some aluminum HVAC tape it hopes that it may satisfy my need for a true seal between the box, and the fender hole (though, I may not even do that).

I'm sure that there are a few people that decided to leave it alone. I'd loev to hear from a few of those, so I can make a more "educated" decision.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Haven't driven enough miles w/the new aFe CAI installed yet, but the sweet sound emanating from under my hood keeps me smiling and pressing harder on my accelerator:D

The CAI in conjunction w/my MagnaFlow exhaust is music to my ears, and I'm sure the performance benefits outweigh the OE parts, so I'm happy there too.

Like everybody else here that's opted for the aFe, my only complaint is the poor fitment in regards to the filter box, and how it's tube doesn't fill the fender hole like the OE box. If aFe re-engineered this, then it would be perfect.

I may go back and use the 14" piece of weather stripping they supply to line the fender hole as shown in the video I linked in a previous post; but I've read that it too doesn't provide for a tight seal. I went to Home Depot after work today, and bought some aluminum HVAC tape it hopes that it may satisfy my need for a true seal between the box, and the fender hole (though, I may not even do that).

I'm sure that there are a few people that decided to leave it alone. I'd loev to hear from a few of those, so I can make a more "educated" decision.
Leave it alone. The front of the airbox has a hole in it anyway so sealing the tube 100% isn't going to get you anything. I used the rubber gasket that came with the kit and it is 90% sealed.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not being lazy....

Leave it alone. The front of the airbox has a hole in it anyway so sealing the tube 100% isn't going to get you anything. I used the rubber gasket that came with the kit and it is 90% sealed.
I'm with Blackonblack, with leaving it be. The rubber gasket won't seal the box up 100%, because of the hole in front of the box, and neither will the HVAC tape I bought. It just irritates me that a reputable aftermarket company like aFe can't engineer the box to mimic the OE part it's replacing. I think we all understand why there's a 2"x4" hole in front of the box, just not why the tube doesn't fit into the fender hole w or w/o the rubber gasket. Just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Take that rubber weatherstripping and push it on the end of the plastic tube. It is a pain in the ass to do it because of the wire used in the rubber, but once you do it will seal against the fender much better. Originally, I installed it on the opening in the fender but as you noticed it does nothing. Trust me, fit it around the end of the plastic tube and you'll be much happier.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1stYoda,

That's where I originally thought it was supposed to go, since I was one of the many confused folks who really had no idea what to do with it. Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
afe made the trd, at least for the fj they did... only difference was the lid, and the tibe color... ohh, and when i bought mine from afe, it came with the plug for the front bottom of box which is the hole that i think yall speak of...

if your talking about the front of the box, lower portion, there is a hole, there is a plug available for it. its like 19 bucks i guess if i member right, mine for the fj came with it, but only cause it was ordered that way.

im thinking about doin this next spring or this xmasish, just for the hell of it.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I've had the afe dry kit for a couple years now and I love it. Great sound and easy to clean. Every once in a while the allen screws that hold the top of the box down get a little loose but not always. Overall good kit in my experience.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any performance or fuel economy improvements with this kit? I'm thinking about getting it, but I don't wanna drop $300 just to get a little better sound from under the hood :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have noticed a few mpg improvement with mine. With gas prices going up the savings may not out weigh the cost of the intake system.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey I know this post is old, but I just got an afe from a member here and must say I love this thing! That strip mentioned in the first post (in case someone else wonders) goes on the hole where the stock intake went in to. You just slide it around the hole and trim excess. The system is supposed to provide 9-10 hp. I do notice a slight difference. The sound is not obnoxious. It will growl when you accelerate fast or really step on it. Normal driving though, you cannot notice much difference in the sound. The sound is awesome when you get on it though! You can hear it in the cab and it makes the engine sound powerful (like a sportscar). It is too soon to say whether it helps with MPG, but it may be 1-2 mpg difference I imagine. This was rated as the top CAI for the price and ease of installment. Directions could be a lot better than what is provided. I had to watch it on youtube a couple of times when installing, but it is pretty straight forward. It took me about 2 hrs, but I am slow and never done a CAI before. Had I did it again, it would take less than 1 hr.

·
Registered
59 Posts
just finally got mine from AFE and installed it after work. Only took about a half hour to install and its pretty nice overall. I did cut the snorkle off of my old airbox like someone suggested and that did make the fit to the fender like factory. The air meter install was a little hoakie and once it was all together my intake cover doesnt fit quite right- not sure if i should trim it at the tube or if it needs to be adjusted slightly. Havent driven the truck yet but pretty happy so far with the final looks and quality of the kit. As everyone says, the instructions are crap- pretty much skip half of the steps, luckily i am not a beginner at working on vehicles. Also thought it was weird that there are only three screws holding on the intake base when there are five tapped holes in the base...but im sure its fine.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts