Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this thread because I didn't want to hi-jack any other thread about CAI's.

Here is a before and after pic of the aFe CAI installed. Also of the intake itself.

19HP and 27FT LBS of TQ..:eek:

I'm thinking of ordering one of these.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't bought it yet. I found these pics on aFe's website. It looks nice and the numbers look good as well. Thinking we can get a group buy going.

Dry filter intake price is $385.00
Oiled filter intake price is $405.00

Anyone interested in group buy pm me. I'll start making some calls.

·
Registered
29 Posts
what is the benefit for oiled filter over the dry one? I have the k&N oiled filter for my off road vehilce (landcruiser) but the filter always get dirty with sand and I had to clean it every time so I put on a pre charger.

Those numbers look good but it seems that at low rpms both torque and hp are below stock, but with long tube headers and cat back it should be all good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The oiled filter is less restrictive (better performance). The dry filter is easier to maintain. aFe might offer the kit with their "ProGuard 7" filter as well. The PG-7 filter was designed for the diesel market. It is the best filter for dusty areas. They also offer a Pre-filter (sock) that helps protect in dusty and sandy areas.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My AFe CAI was just delivered this evening. I will install it tomorrow and post pictures.

·
Registered
348 Posts
When I last posted on this thread my aFe intake was just delivered. It turned out that the MAF screw holes on the tube were misaligned. I just got the new tube yesterday and installed it today, the screw holes aligned perfectly.
Install was easy, although the instruction are terrible. But, intakes are pretty much the same and it was no problem. The tools that they say you need have nothing to do with this particular intake for the most part.
The aFe is not as loud as the semi-enclosed K&N's, which for me is OK.As is usual with these type of intakes, you really don't notice the difference until you hit nearly 3k RPM. Couldn't say for sure if there is any power gain, but the main purpose I bought it for was the sound they produce, any power gained is a bonus. I do feel there is a little increase in throttle response, the same as I have experienced with my previous intakes, but that could all be in my head.
Here are a couple of pictures.

I guess that since I ordered this intake and March and have had some problems, they sent me a T-shirt, cleaning kit and a filter dust sock.
I think their customer service is fairly good. They have phoned me several times since March on their progress or lack of progress as it turned out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Intake

Just ordered one myself should be here next week I hope ILL let everyone know how I like it..
Cant wait to get it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks great, I have been thinking of ordering one, but was waiting to see if someone had installed one. Keep us posted...I plan to add an exhaust and intake soon!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm not going to install anything until I see some nice numbers. some products could actually reduce your performace rather then make more power. so I think I'll wait till I get all the facts. but lets us know how you like it

·
Registered
127 Posts
if you guys don't mind me threading here, I have one question on intakes; the factory air filter is not starving the engine or providing inadquate air supply, if that the case then how can the engine benefit from more airflow, I would love to be pushing 400hp with the addition of zoomers and afe. can someone explain.

·
Registered
341 Posts
if you guys don't mind me threading here, I have one question on intakes; the factory air filter is not starving the engine or providing inadquate air supply, if that the case then how can the engine benefit from more airflow, I would love to be pushing 400hp with the addition of zoomers and afe. can someone explain.

a cold air intake is "suppose" to bring in cooler air then that of the stock air box, now colder air is denser the hot air. hot air takes up more space not allowing as much air into the engine. where cold air takes up less space allowing more air in. now the more air you bring in the more power you make. but usally you dont see much gain unless you get an exaust as well because with more air in you need more fumes out so they kind of have to go hand in hand to make the most gains from your truck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
last question hit-em; both stock and aftermarket systems are made of plastic, where is the big heat and cold differential come in at?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Not all after market CAI's are plastic, in fact a lot them are made of metal. Many systems such as K&N are available in both plastic and metal versions.
On the Tundra in particular I don't see where you are getting a colder air with the aFe as a large part of the air comes from the engine bay, not the fender well like the stock intake. What you are getting is is much less restriction in the air flow, allowing the engine breathe easier, the engine doesn't have to work as hard to get more air to the engine which is a good thing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts