Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating whether or not to get an AEM Brute Force CAI or a Volant CAI for my 2011 Tundra CM 4x4. My friend (a mechanic) said he'd go with the AEM simply because it's essentially the same thing (likes the dry filter option) and it's about $80 cheaper on AutoAnything.
The only reason I'm a little reluctant to get the AEM Brute Force is because I can't find any reviews on it anywhere, other than the AutoAnything site. I trust my friend's opinion, but I'd like to find more about it before I buy it. Has anyone bought and installed an AEM, and if so, how is it?
The only bad thing I read about the Volant was that it didn't fit 100% (interfered with the engine cover http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/cold-air-intake-reviews/76110-volant-k-n-afe-cai-write-ups.html ).
Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

·
Vendor
699 Posts
From what I usually sell, the AEM and the Volant sell about the same. AEM sells a little bit more mainly because of the price. Both are very good items and as far as fitment goes, the Volant is a little bigger with the heat shield and the box. Also, just in case you didn't know, but Volany and RBP actually work together in a lot of their products. Volant is just a higher end company as far as intakes go compared to AEM. Another good company that you can look into is K&N. Even though they are so mainstream, their product are top notch and their pricing is very good.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot CARiD, I think I'll go with AEM just because of the better price. Like I said, I couldn't find any reviews on this forum about the AEM, seems like everybody has the Volant or AFE. Got a deal at AutoAnything to so looks like I'm buying it soon :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Does it matter if its street legal or not? On the AEM website it says they are not street legal in CA....don't know why not for an intake.

·
Vendor
699 Posts
For the intakes, it is hard to find a street legal intake system that is legal in Cali. The emissions in Cali. are harsh and it does matter if you want to pass inspections. Most people that buy intake from us in Cali. take off their intake systems when they go to inspections. I do not know what make them illegal, but I do know you will fail if you take it to the DMV with it on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Emission in California is super strict.

I had the volant intake before with the volant filter and then tried it with the K&N and the sound was a huge difference. Volant was nice an quiet and when you punched it, it roared, K&N filter pretty much had rumbling all the time, even when you're cruising at 35-40. i sold the intake but now, I regret it hahaha oh wells, might be able to find another one for a good deal. never tried the aem, might do some research on that on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts