Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run 275 65 20’s BFG’s AT but want to switch to TOYO AT II 305 55 20’s. My question is will my MPG’s or performance go down? The 275’s are a bit taller at 34” but not as wide as the 305’s at 12” compared to 11”. I know a wider tire will increase the overall surface mass and just don’t know if it will make the truck slower and get less mpg’s. I only get about 13 mpg’s right now and drive pretty aggressive and also enjoy the trucks get up and go. The 305’s are also a heavier tire then the 275’s. The reason I want to switch is I like the look oF the wider tire. Any practical advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I currently run 275 65 20’s BFG’s AT but want to switch to TOYO AT II 305 55 20’s. My question is will my MPG’s or performance go down? The 275’s are a bit taller at 34” but not as wide as the 305’s at 12” compared to 11”. I know a wider tire will increase the overall surface mass and just don’t know if it will make the truck slower and get less mpg’s. I only get about 13 mpg’s right now and drive pretty aggressive and also enjoy the trucks get up and go. The 305’s are also a heavier tire then the 275’s. The reason I want to switch is I like the look oF the wider tire. Any practical advice would be appreciated!
Get 33/12.5/20 Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
542 Posts
It's worth the small mpg loss and bit of power loss!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would really consider 295 60 20's in the AT2's (didn't have that size when I bought mine) I think they are a bit lighter and cheaper. Might have to trim a little though, not sure??

·
Registered
187 Posts
Go LT305/55/20 or go home - LOL

I went from the stock 275/55/20 to Nitto Trail Grappler LT305/55/20 with a +20mm offset Fuel Hostage Wheels and the combo is so Freaking Nice.

I don't like skinny tires - it makes the truck look so whimpy and too fat of a tire looks weird unless it's height/width are in proportion to each other.

I went from 15.5 mpg to about 13 mpg with these new wheels/tire combo but then again i've only drove about one gas tank full so far.

Reactions: khoanguyen1983

·
Registered
715 Posts
Go LT305/55/20 or go home - LOL

I went from the stock 275/55/20 to Nitto Trail Grappler LT305/55/20 with a +20mm offset Fuel Hostage Wheels and the combo is so Freaking Nice.

I don't like skinny tires - it makes the truck look so whimpy and too fat of a tire looks weird unless it's height/width are in proportion to each other.

I went from 15.5 mpg to about 13 mpg with these new wheels/tire combo but then again i've only drove about one gas tank full so far.
Are you on stock height?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
297 Posts
Like they said^^

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
MPG change shouldn't be too bad... you gotta think the computer mileage will not read correctly since the height "rotation" of the tire will be different. I didn't lose much MPG going from the stock TRD 18's to Aftermarket 20's with 305/55/20's (33x12.5x20)

·
Registered
187 Posts
but I suppose I can deal with squeezing an extra 50 miles or so out of a fill-up, even at the expense of losing a little bit of "badass truck" status :D
So that's about 4 gallons of gas saved or about $15 a fill-up.

Assuming you fill your tank once a week - that's $720 savings per year.

I agree - $720/year savings is nice but I would always have that "I wish I went with 305/55/20 tires" in the back of my mind.

That's why on my first truck I went with a:

* Crewmax (I have never heard anyone that bought a Crewmax wish they went with a DC instead)

* 5.7L (I have never heard anyone say I wish I gotten the 4.6L engine instead. Some people that get the 4.6L try to modify it to be as fast as the 5.7L and ended up spending more money than it's worth)

* Nitto Trail Grappler in LT305/55/20 (Most people that get the Terra Grappler instead of the Trail Grappler say - Next time I'm going to get the Trails. Why wait - I got the Nitto Trails first!!)

* 20x9 Fuel Hostage +20mm offset (This is more of a personal preference - I like 20" for these truck and with my LT305/55/20 tires - there's still plenty of tire on the wheel)

*LRO 3/1 Leveling Kit (This is where I went wrong - I bought this kit due to it higher price and great feedback - The saying you get what you pay for is something I believe in - sort of. Don't get me wrong - the kit is great but I'm ditching the 1" rear block and replacing them with +3" Shackles and a set of Poly Bushing Kit)

* TRD CAI (Can't go wrong with TRD)

* TRD Dual Exhaust (Can’t go wrong with TRD)

* Bushwhacker Pocket Fender Flares (Compliments the +20mm offset wheels and the design of the Fuel Hostage - both have the steel rivets look - BaD A$$)

* TRD Rear Sway Bar Kit (Waiting on the best price before I buy - contact several vendors and dealership to negotiate price)

* Craven Speed - Stubby Antenna (All show and no go - at least it looks nice - reception is crap - i just use my iHeart Radio)

·
Registered
273 Posts
MPG change shouldn't be too bad... you gotta think the computer mileage will not read correctly since the height "rotation" of the tire will be different. I didn't lose much MPG going from the stock TRD 18's to Aftermarket 20's with 305/55/20's (33x12.5x20)
it should be minimal to none, becuase the computer is not counting the miles right with different stock size tire

·
Read Only
0 Posts
it should be minimal to none, becuase the computer is not counting the miles right with different stock size tire
Yeah oddly enough... When I switched to the bigger tires.... My speedo now reads correctly with my GPS now too. It was 2-3 MPH off with the stock tires. It would read 60 and the GPS would show 57. Now 60 is 60.

·
Registered
542 Posts
You will notice a difference in mpg and power going to Toyo AT2 305 55 20. But it will look bad ass!! Lol

Reactions: lars00n
1 - 16 of 16 Posts