Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put new Bilstein shocks on my 2013 Tundra (6112 Front, 5160, Back). I would like to add a couple more inches or so to the truck in order to put 35 x 12.50 tires under it without rubbing. I have been looking at some after market upper control arms (UCA) that would allow 2-4 " of lift and it says it would provide better quality suspension. It also says it would work with leveling kits etc but I'm unsure if this would work with the shock setup that I currently have. Would any of you guys have any recommendations? Thanks a lot in advance!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Funny, I have 35x13s on mine with no lift at all and I don't rub. A 2" lift is enough for 37s.
Strut lifts don't solve clearance issues. Trimming and wheel offset do. For the lift to prevent rubbing you need >5", which you will only get with a drop-bracket kit.
UCAs do not provide lift.

Reactions: FD_Tundra

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny, I have 35x13s on mine with no lift at all and I don't rub. A 2" lift is enough for 37s.

Strut lifts don't solve clearance issues. Trimming and wheel offset do. For the lift to prevent rubbing you need >5", which you will only get with a drop-bracket kit.

Good advice, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
What? So you are saying you trimmed what? Also what offset wheels?

I have 295/70/18 Terra Grapplers which state on their website tha they are 34.41". These are on the stock TRD wheels from 2008.

I have 5100 Bilstein's all the way up and I rubbed the front rectangular mud flap off and at full lock, I will get a little rub in the rear.

I'm not calling you a liar but 35's on stock suspension and no rub doesn't sound right.What about when you hit a decent bump at 50 mph?

I also have a single cab truck with a 4.7 V8 so I would think my truck is lighter than yours.

Does anyone know what the offset on my 08 Stock TRD wheels is?

·
Registered
673 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I'm not calling you a liar but 35's on stock suspension and no rub doesn't sound right. What about when you hit a decent bump at 50 mph?
I have 5" from the tire to the fender, and that's enough. I've driven a lot offroad and it hasn't rubbed. Maybe if I slammed into something really hard it would, but then I'd have other issues. I'm not planning to leave the front stock BTW, but the reason for lifting it isn't clearance.

On Tundras the first places you rub (assuming you clear the UCA which is a must) is the bottom front and rear of the wheelwell. Even if you lift 3" you are still going to hit those spots when you hit a bump, and I didn't want that. The only solution is to trim. Whether you have 0,1,2,or 3" of lift doesn't matter. If you want to avoid rubbing you need to trim the same amount.

My wheels are +25. +35 or +40 would have been better, but they are rare in 18" and I got a killer deal on the tire and wheel package. I removed mudflaps, moved front plastic forward, trimmed rear plastic, and did the BMC.

Most Tundra rims are +60. The RWs are +50.

Reactions: FD_Tundra

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have 5" from the tire to the fender, and that's enough. I've driven a lot offroad and it hasn't rubbed. Maybe if I slammed into something really hard it would, but then I'd have other issues. I'm not planning to leave the front stock BTW, but the reason for lifting it isn't clearance.

On Tundras the first places you rub (assuming you clear the UCA which is a must) is the bottom front and rear of the wheelwell. Even if you lift 3" you are still going to hit those spots when you hit a bump, and I didn't want that. The only solution is to trim. Whether you have 0,1,2,or 3" of lift doesn't matter. If you want to avoid rubbing you need to trim the same amount.

My wheels are +25. +35 or +40 would have been better, but they are rare in 18" and I got a killer deal on the tire and wheel package. I removed mudflaps, moved front plastic forward, trimmed rear plastic, and did the BMC.

Most Tundra rims are +60. The RWs are +50.
So I searched around after I see you keep posting "HEY GUYS, I RUN 35's NO LIFT!!!" on everyone's posts.

I understand how you pulled it off, but you REALLY need to explain all the work you did aside from a lift to get them to fit as you did in this post. Otherwise its misleading. Just my observation. :D

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
It's actually not misleading at all. If I had a 3" lift I would have needed to do the exact same trimming to prevent rub.

Strut lifts do nothing to prevent rub because they can't go high enough. As soon as you hit a little bump, you'll rub... unless you also do the trimming. If you get over 5" of lift, that's enough to improve clearance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.