Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am going to get one of these very soon. I had the sister unit in my old chevy tahoe and loved it. I know the deck install will be pretty simple, but my question is regarding rear camera. I have a oem rear camera that shows on the rear view mirror. How difficult is it to wire into advent to show on that screen. If anybody has any pics, diagrams, step by step that would be huge. Thanks.

Also, I know the deck removal of old unit is easy and new one is plug and play but what about install of gps and bluetooth mic. Walt at adc had a great video for install on tahoe from start to finish but nothing for the tundra. Just need to see where and what I pry open.

Thanks Kevin

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
the mic and the gps pod simply plug into the back of the Advent where noted. I ran my mic behind the dash over to my A Pillar (and i can certainly share a pic later of its exactly location) and it works perfectly.

The gps pod I installed under the center console "screen" in the center of the dash.

If you need instructions on removing your factory stereo there should be a few threads on here (use search) to show you how to remove that. Its 4 bolts (10mm maybe?) and simply pull the dash guage cluster out a little (it just snaps in) and the climate control panel also just pulls out (then unplug the knob controls from the back.

·
Registered
83 Posts
the mic and the gps pod simply plug into the back of the Advent where noted. I ran my mic behind the dash over to my A Pillar (and i can certainly share a pic later of its exactly location) and it works perfectly.
So did you mount the mic in the factory location on the overhead console? That was my plan but I am a little concerned messing with the pillars, then having airbags and all.

PS Sorry to thread jack

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The gps pod I installed under the center console "screen" in the center of the dash.

If you need instructions on removing your factory stereo there should be a few threads on here (use search) to show you how to remove that. Its 4 bolts (10mm maybe?) and simply pull the dash guage cluster out a little (it just snaps in) and the climate control panel also just pulls out (then unplug the knob controls from the back.
So I'm assuming the center screen just pops out and I mount GPS sat in there. That all seems easy enough, still curious how detailed the wiring of oem camera to unit will be

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update on install.

I installed my ototun1 over the weekend. I had a advent unit in my chevy tahoe so I was pretty familiar. The install of the radio itself is very straightfoward. Pull out your dash instrument cluster about two inches, Pop out your cig lighter holder...disconnect, pop out ac ports...disconnect, then unscrew 4 bolts and remove radio. The new unit has all the harnesses you need and fits in perfect. I mounted the gps sat in the center speaker spot in middle of top dash and ran the bluetooth mic behind the dash, up the a pillar under the headboard and clipped right by rear view mirror.

The only issue I have unresolved is the wiring in of my oem rear view camera in homelink to show up on head unit. I followed the instructions with a relay on adc mobile website, but not working. I talked to walt and he is saying people are now having to tap into reverse lead from head unit. So I'm wondering since I have relay all hooked up if I just tap into green reverse wire by a pillar connections if I will be good. Really don't want to get back in headliner and keep cutting, splicing wires. Not much room to work up there.

If I end up just keeping rear view in oem spot, it's not the end of the world. But would like it on hu also.

As for unit, I love it. Some common questions people have.
Yes, all the steering wheel controls work with new unit.
Yes, a new usb, aux plug comes with unit and replaces factory one in same spot.
Yes, phone (my iphone 5) synchs great, all contacts transfer over and easy functionality.
Yes, you can overide system to play dvds while in motion.
Yes, boot up is about 10 seconds and navi takes a second to boot up also, but very good navi and supercustomizable.

If anybody has any questions feel free. And if someone could help me with camera issue please do.

Oh, Price questions. I got mine from walt at adc mobile. Fast delivery and will personally try to walk you thru questions. Josh at svc customs also has the product and prices are pretty comparable.

Reactions: JasonD77 and knumb

·
Registered
64 Posts
An update on the advent OTOTUN1

I had mine installed in my 2011 DC 2 weeks ago. For the most part I am happy. However there are some issues that everyone should consider. From reading all of the conversation ( I have read quite a bit) The two major advantages of going with the ADVENT are the look (I cant agree more. It looks perfect. Could not be happier) and maintaining the control features on your steering wheel. There is no doubt that you do maintain the steering wheel functionality. However it is certainly not perfect. I can only speak to the interaction of the IPHONE 5 and the Advent. If you are not running the navigation everything seems to work well (All options are functional and are timely). If you are using the GPS and streaming music from your phone (IPHONE 5 is connected via USB) everything becomes extremely bogged down. Changing songs, using SIRI, navigation audible ques, all become very sluggish, with significant delays. Shut down the navigation or the streaming and everything goes back to normal. It has happened over and over. There is slight improvement if you are running both but do not have the navigation screen up, but not much. I have been to the advent website and asked for assistance but my question has not been answered yet. I also shut down all background applications on the IPHONE 5 prior to starting the streaming and navigation. That had little impact. The firmware is up to date so that is not the issue. I have also reset the system a few times. To be honest, I am not sure I would do it all over again.

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would find an oem factory unit that matches and have it professionally installed. With that being said, I am learning that a phone with less music and apps on it may make a difference If that is the case I would be much happier. Will update you in a day or so

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
If you don't like the way the advent performs with your phone on bluetooth plus nav running you'd really hate how sluggish the factory nav is.

Suggestion: If you're running your iphone streaming music over BT and navi at the same try just plugging your iphone into the usb plug.

1.) it'll charge it while you're bee boppin along
2.) you'll have cover art to feast your eyes upon
3.) it won't be so sluggish.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have noticed the sluggish issue when I have the phone connected via the USB port. I was wondering if that was not the best. Good to know - the factory unit sluggishness

·
Registered
123 Posts
So I'm assuming the center screen just pops out and I mount GPS sat in there. That all seems easy enough, still curious how detailed the wiring of oem camera to unit will be
I would like to know this too. I just bought the headunit and backup camera. I just need to know how the camera was installed (easy, hard, etc). BTW, I don't have homelink....TIA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts