Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have looked all over the site and not really found my answer so maybe if it is out there someone can let me know. i have a 2007, 5.7. it has the infamous 26 gal tank. when i tow my camper i get about 9mpg, which doesnt bother me but stopping all the time for fuel does. i didnt buy the tundra for its gas mileage. I have seen titan and other companies make a 46 gal tank to replace the oem one but that is not in my budget (usually about $1100-$1600). I use to build custom trucks and we always ran fuel cells. i never had any issues. So i thought about putting a fuel cell in the bed of my truck, and using a manual valve to open it up and drain the gas into my filler neck, like a transfer tank. i have heard mixed things about this but some say it cant be done because its gas and its illegal etc etc....i am going to make mine removable via quick connect just in case i need to use the bed. the tank i am looking at is 17 gals, and is tall and skinny so i could put fuel in it from the ground at a gas station. I would have to weld a bottom bung in, cap the other bungs and the sending unit will not be used. what are yalls thoughts on this? the do this on diesels all the time. why not gas trucks?

·
Registered
2020 SR5 Double Cab Long Bed
3 Posts
I have an auxiliary gasoline tank plumbed into the factory tank on my camping truck.

I use a pump rather than gravity but I’ve never had any issues and really like it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have also looking into that , like using a gas caddy with a gravity fed hose but just seems like it would take. Do you have a pump on yours?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I had a extra fuel tank in the bed of my 2011 Tundra,
DEE ZEE tank 56" x 9.7" x 19" | 39 Gal.
I used it as a switched transfer tank With a 3/4” transfer hose.
Mounted the tank in the front of the bed, drilled a 1” hole in the front driver side Floor of the bed and ran the hose Down to a 12V actuator From there I went into a fuel filter, and then into the the filler neck hose with a 3 way brass fitting with 2 Barb fittings one threaded fitting on the T side with a reducer down to 3/4” barbed hose fitting.
I ran the electrical into the cab off of (key power) don’t make my mistake And run it off Constant 12v. I had a couple overfills...
After a while I discovered that the tank needed a breather hose, to help with expanding and contracting so I ran a breather hose out the top right of the tank and ran the hose to the filler neck breather i used a 1/8 fuel.
Now this work for me for five years with no problems.
The only thing with doing my way is you will get an engine code for the Evap system (Small leak, large leak) I ran that way for years and would do it again to be quite honest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts