Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm looking for some advise on utilizing my factory options on my aftermarket stereo. I installing a Pioneer AVH-P2400BT DVD Receiver in my 2011 Crew Max I want to hook up my factory back up to the head unit and still keep the camera view on my rear view mirror. Does anyone one know if this is possible I heard that if you hook up the factory back up camera to your head unit it will trigger a ground and not work? Also has anyone hooked up the factory bluetooth microphone to a aftermarket head unit? FYI, the reason this thread was created is because I used the provided search function and I did not get the answer I wanted. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
455 Posts
1) Yes, but you will have to solder an RCA end onto the factory wires for the backup camera and connect that to the video-input on your aftermarket head unit. Then tap into the reverse signal (driver-side kick-panel I believe) to trigger it.

EDIT: Here's a thread about it: http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-audio-visual-discussion/103057-oem-camera-pioneer-unit-wiring-help.html

2) Yes, you will retain your factory bluetooth (and steering wheel controls) if you use something like the Metra ASWC: Amazon.com: Metra Axxess ASWC Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface (Black): Electronics
Simply connect the bluetooth mic (supplied) to the back of the headunit. I mounted mine with some double-sided tape by the steering column.

FYI, the reason this thread was created is because I used the provided search function and I did not get the answer I wanted. Thank you in advance.
Thank you for searching first. :)
And you are most-certainly welcome. Hopefully you find this information helpful.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
701 Posts
Also has anyone hooked up the factory bluetooth microphone to a aftermarket head unit?
I had wondered this once myself and researched it. Here's a quote from another forum. Looks like its doable but not simple-

For the Microphone:
I did a substantial amount of wiring, trouble shooting, building of power supplies, and legwork…to be beat by the OEM microphone amplifier. In the end I tried the simplest of things; I bypassed the Microphone amplifier and simply connected the factory microphone. This gave me a microphone that fit perfectly into the location and worked great. The OEM mic DOES NOT need the amplifier when used with the Eclipse head unit, and I can assume this is the same for all head units.

I tested with a parrot mic and the Eclipse mic, both held in numerous areas of the vehicle, and in ALL cases the Toyota OEM mic was the clearest.

To bypass the amplifier is easy, here it is:

Behind the factory radio, on the k7 connector, connect the following:
Toyota Brown wire = Tip + of a mono 1/8” headphone connector
Toyota Yellow = Ring – of the headphone connector

At the microphone in the headliner, Remove the mic and do the following:
1. Cut the four wires between the plug and where they enter the wire bundle.
2. Connect two pieces of wire to extend the Brown and Black wires, 3” works fine.
3. Mask off or heatshrink the extra wires.
4. Open the mic casing and expose where the mic connects to the amplifier.
5. Solder the new wires to the circuit board where the mic connects.
6. Connect Brown to the mic +, and Black to the mic -.
7. Re-assemble the mic and install in the vehicle.
8. Plug the mic into your head unit.
9. Enjoy the factory microphone

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had wondered this once myself and researched it. Here's a quote from another forum. Looks like its doable but not simple-

For the Microphone:
I did a substantial amount of wiring, trouble shooting, building of power supplies, and legwork…to be beat by the OEM microphone amplifier. In the end I tried the simplest of things; I bypassed the Microphone amplifier and simply connected the factory microphone. This gave me a microphone that fit perfectly into the location and worked great. The OEM mic DOES NOT need the amplifier when used with the Eclipse head unit, and I can assume this is the same for all head units.

I tested with a parrot mic and the Eclipse mic, both held in numerous areas of the vehicle, and in ALL cases the Toyota OEM mic was the clearest.

To bypass the amplifier is easy, here it is:

At the microphone in the headliner, Remove the mic and do the following:
1. Cut the four wires between the plug and where they enter the wire bundle.
2. Connect two pieces of wire to extend the Brown and Black wires, 3” works fine.
3. Mask off or heatshrink the extra wires.
4. Open the mic casing and expose where the mic connects to the amplifier.
5. Solder the new wires to the circuit board where the mic connects.
6. Connect Brown to the mic +, and Black to the mic -.
7. Re-assemble the mic and install in the vehicle.
8. Plug the mic into your head unit.
9. Enjoy the factory microphone

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Wow. For all that trouble, the mic that came with my Pioneer deck sounds just fine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is great, ive been trying to figure this out myself. What about XM, can you use the factory XM antenna with an aftermarket head unit? Plug and Play?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ any luck yet? my pioneer unit will be in this week and i am looking for a camera.
Hey chode, no I'm in the process of buying a home. Escrow started the other day so I've been very busy. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the Tundra yet so the stereo is packaged up and ready to send back to regain the cost. This is still not in stone and I might keep the stereo. I'll post up soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was able to finish the top part for the mic hack but I'm not able to find the following on the harness. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is nuts. Why couldn't you use the best mic?

The factory microphone is a powered condenser microphone, which is much better quality than an unpowered dynamic microphone. I'm getting that the red (power) lead needs 5 volts. Here's a 5 volt power supply from Crutchfield.
Axxess AFDI-5V 12-volt to 5-volt converter

Black is ground; white is the microphone positive (same as a dynamic mic positive, but MUCH better quality.)

I still stumped on the DET or detector lead (yellow). Anyone who can tell me the JVC pin for that? What is it's function? *My sense is that it turns on the mic switch on the head unit.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts