Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did only y second oil change on the tundra myself (hate doing them on the 5.7) I noticed the pink coolant stains. I dropped it off and had it back the same day all better. Kudos to competition toyota in middle island for getting me in and out same day.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,751 Posts
Just did only y second oil change on the tundra myself (hate doing them on the 5.7) I noticed the pink coolant stains. I dropped it off and had it back the same day all better. Kudos to competition toyota in middle island for getting me in and out same day.
Under warranty?

·
Premium Member
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Ditto here. Last oil change I did I noticed pink coolant residue at the water pump. My truck is an 08 with 65K miles. Bought the truck new from Sparks Toyota and they had a dealer 100,000 mile unlimited time powertrain warranty. I called about the pump and they started lighting the flaming hoops I had to jump thru. It seems since I didn't have every oil change done in their shop, didn't have the tires rotated there nor the air pressure adjusted they would not honor the warranty. Well, the big warranty banner looked good on the sales room wall but that's about all. I will put it in the shop the week of July 15 for repair. An independent shop.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ditto here. Last oil change I did I noticed pink coolant residue at the water pump. My truck is an 08 with 65K miles. Bought the truck new from Sparks Toyota and they had a dealer 100,000 mile unlimited time powertrain warranty. I called about the pump and they started lighting the flaming hoops I had to jump thru. It seems since I didn't have every oil change done in their shop, didn't have the tires rotated there nor the air pressure adjusted they would not honor the warranty. Well, the big warranty banner looked good on the sales room wall but that's about all. I will put it in the shop the week of July 15 for repair. An independent shop.
Dealer had the same deal that I bought my wife's Honda from. I crunched the numbers along with the distance to the dealer (40 minutes each way) and determined that the Honda extended warranty was a better deal for around the same cost out of pocket.

·
Premium Member
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
With the 7/75 I'm in the plus 333$ with the pump repairs . Not bad. I'm still covered for another 8 months. I paid 666$ for the 7/75 , the repairs were 900+$

Wait does that make sense?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
replaced my water pump my self about 6 weeks ago, with just under 59K on it, warrenty ran out on time back in September.

Reactions: lars00n and SP

·
Registered
123 Posts
35k on the clock, leaking, supposed to take it in tomorrow and drop the keys, need to find a friend with a car to borrow.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
2010 CM with 106k miles and no leaks with original coolant. We have a family of high mileage Toyotas with my Tundra being the lowest mileage and a 98 Camry with 345k. The only maintainance I do on any of the 4 toyotas we have is regular oil changes, brake pads/shoes and plugs every 100k. We drive them all like we stole them and have only suffered a few minor repairs on the oldest camry (2 timing belts and an oil leak) that required shop assistance.

Maybe I am just blessed but it seems the less I do to these vehicles the longer they last. I stopped servicing transmissions years ago as the only times I had A/T transmission issues is shortly after I serviced them. Same with water pumps and coolant. Who knows, but Toyota will continue to get my business as long as I don't have to become familiar with the service department.

I certainly feel for you who have had issues and hope Toyota makes it right.

·
Registered
497 Posts
So what is the replacement for the Water Pump - the same Bullshit OEM part that is going to fail again?

·
Registered
123 Posts
It may be the same oe parts, but, with a tech doing it, im sure there will be a bit more fipg used. We all know that everytruck is different, the assembling machine could have had a hiccup that day and it got pas QA. It happens.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
It may be the same oe parts, but, with a tech doing it, im sure there will be a bit more fipg used. We all know that everytruck is different, the assembling machine could have had a hiccup that day and it got pas QA. It happens.
Must happen a lot - that's one of few repeat problems with these things. I'll take the risk - 20k on the clock and exactly zero issues. My buddy has a 2013 ram - 6k miles in it and the trans is leaking. 8k (now) and his nav screen (and all things given the integration - HVAC, etc) is dead. Unknown back order on the part - weird, since they are still building the thing 20 min from here with no problem. Screw em

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
123 Posts
I hear ya, but it could also be an incorrect cut on the pump, or they arent installed properly, maybe torqing from the outside in? Idk, there is a million variables as to why they do this.

Reactions: 2012CMINCO

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I went with a beck arnley brand water pump vs the aisen (OE supplier) Sometimes (albeit not often) the aftermarket does make improvements on the oe stuff.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Honestly, If I was able to get my hands on aisin carbs for the old yoters, I was all over them, works of art. But as companies grow, they tend to cut a few corners, be it materials or workmanship. I don't want to think aisin has gone this route just yet.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts