Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Tundra
I was removing the front brake calipers and mistakened the two bolts on the back for others. When I removed them, I could see the two halves of the caliper separating and brake fluid dripped out. I quickly put them back in and tightened. Now what do I do other than bleed the air out of the brake lines? Are there any seals in between that I need to replace?

·
Registered
281 Posts
This is a new one on me, is it leaking with pressure applied? If you are really concerned I would grab a new caliper.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You don't need to worry about replacing any gasket or seal, if there even is one, unless it leaks under pressure after you have tightened the bolts back up. Just top off the fluid and bleed them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like my guy feeling was right, just bleed our the air. I haven’t put any pressure on it yet so I’m not sure if it’ll leak but I don’t suspect it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2017 Tundra
I was removing the front brake calipers and mistakened the two bolts on the back for others. When I removed them, I could see the two halves of the caliper separating and brake fluid dripped out. I quickly put them back in and tightened. Now what do I do other than bleed the air out of the brake lines? Are there any seals in between that I need to replace?
There are seals (like O rings) between the two halves of the caliper. As long as these seals didn't shift out of place, all you should need to do is bleed caliper to remove any air that may have entered caliper. If one or more of these seals did move out of place, then you should see a fluid leak from between the two halves of the caliper when pressure is applied, in which case these seals will have to be replaced, or replace the entire caliper with a new or rebuilt unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I did bleed the lines and I didn’t observe any fluid leaking from between the calipers at anytime with brake pressure applied. I’ve been driving it now for more than 100 miles and the braking feels solid.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Did the exact same thing the first time I did a brake job on a Tundra. Easy mistake to make. Since you bled the system and as long as the o-rings are not leaking, you are good to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts