Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just passed 100,000 miles on my 08 tundra. For some reason now whenever I start the truck the fan for the ventilation doesn't kick on for exactly 45 seconds every time.

Has anyone else had this problem? I don't trust the dealerships to be truthful.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
does it have climate control?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any Ideas on this? It is still going on after over a year. I had the local dealership look at it a while back and they had no idea, and all they could say is they would have to charge me hourly to tear apart the dash and see what they could find.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
The fan is easy to get to. A few screws and an electric conection, it's out. I'd pull it and take a look. Might be gummed up and needs lube or replacement. At the same time you could back probe the electric connector to see if it's an electronic issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2 year Bump

Still have the same issue. Getting it fixed next month, but probably going to be charged hourly. I did take the fan out and checked connections, nothing I saw was out of the ordinary.

Just would like any info if this has ever happened to anyone else.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Before I paid a dealer to look at it I would just toss a fan at it. Likely it is what they will try to do whether it fixes it or not is unknown.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
There are 3 wires that go to the blower motor. The white/black wire is the ground, the blue wire is positive and should have 12 volts on it all the time, the control wire is the 3rd wire and is light green in color. The blower motor increase or decreases speed by the voltage on the control wire. Backprobe the control wire with a dvom and turn the system on. While I do not have a spec for the voltage on this wire it more than likely ranges from 1-5 volts depending on what speed is selected. Typically under 1 volt will mean that the ac amplifier is commanding the blower motor off. If you turn the system on and set the blower motor to about the middle setting and see a couple of volts on the control wire but the blower motor is not running AND there is 11-14 volts on the power wire AND the ground is good then you have a bad blower motor, well the blower motor might be good but the solid state module that controls the blower motor speed inside of the blower motor is bad. Nothing you can do but replace it at that point. If you don't have voltage on the control wire to the blower motor then it gets harder to diagnose because teh control panel and the ac amplifier communicate over the network and I have no idea what the information for blower motor command would look like on a labscope between the two. More than likely it is a blower motor problem though. The blower motors for the Tundra are not cheap as far as blower motors are concerned but I don't recommend going with anything other than the Toyota one for this. If the Toyota one is too pricey then I would try the TYC blower motor, I've had pretty good results with this brand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts