Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today my AC went hot while driving and i thought i could smell freon in the cab but wasn't sure. So i recharged it with a can i bout from napa. this was the second time in about 6-8 months. However this time when i took the cap off of the lower pressure line i took a whiff of the cap and it was the same smell i smelled in the cab earlier.

The compressor wasn't turning until i started to recharge the system. The AC is cold now but i smell the freon in the cab again. Even when the truck is off. Not sure where my problem is.

Anyone got any info or experience with this that could steer me in the right direction for maintenance and the steps in how to make the fix.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,114 Posts
You have a leak likely in the evaporator. If it's that fast, don't bother with stop leak, you'll have to replace it.

The low pressure switch cuts the compressor when the refrigerant is too low to protect the compressor.

What year truck, maybe someone knows how hard it is to replace...usually not easy to get to.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The complete dashboard has to come out to replace the evaporator. Not a hard job to do but can be very intimidating for the weekend diyer and also very time consuming. If your going to attempt it at home plan on having a backup vehicle indefinitely. If your going to have a shop do it figure on spending ~ $1500. Of course your going to want to get the leak verified 1st, it could be something else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts