Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2014 SR5 crewmax. My ac compressor never shuts off. Not even when the fan is turned off, you still feel cold air coming out the vents When I drive in 70* temps I just want ambient outside air. To do this I have to have to the heat 1/2 way on. Its due for its 10k checkup soon. I have a feeling the dealer is going to tell me its fine. But I know its not

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No defrosted just center vents or floor vents

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The compressor on mine turns on and off all the time; even in the 95-97 degree sunlight. I can tell it does at the stop lights, and can see the tach move little higher when it first gets on and then drop a little when it turns off.....and I hear the slight change in engine speed. It seems to spend as much time on as it does off?

We have not yet had any 115 degree days yet, but so far so good....it seems to have tons of reserve AC power to it. This has been a mild summer so far and coming out of a very long winter.

I never really paid any attention to it in cooler temps like 60's or so. I think it still turns on or off when ever it wanted too?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Do you have it set to recirculate the cabin air or do you have it on fresh air from outside? I know if I have mine turned off and have it set to outside air it blows pretty cool air.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
339 Posts
I asked the same question. I found out on the Prius, it has a sensor for humidity. I asked 2 dealerships about the issue and they have no clue what it is. I did not find that the tundra has such sensor but I think it has something to do with that. Dealership wanted to bring the truck in but I didn't want to be without my new truck being it was only about 2 months old. Now 5 months old with a little over 10k miles it may still do it, but its too hot for me to not run the A/C.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't matter recirculate or outside air. Since mine is a manual ac not auto I don't think it has sensor for humidity. It goes in Friday for for its 10k service. Only had it since january

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've had mine since January too and going Thursday for 10k .lol from what I've seen , none of the Tundra's have a humidity sensor. Mine too is manual a/c.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
It doesn't matter recirculate or outside air. Since mine is a manual ac not auto I don't think it has sensor for humidity. It goes in Friday for for its 10k service. Only had it since january
I have the same system you do. You need to turn the temp knob one click clockwise off the coldest setting and the A/C light will go off and the compressor will not be working. Now try this, fan speed doesn't matter, start with the A/C function off (not illuminated) and the temp knob at center temp. Turn the knob all the way counterclockwise...the A/C compressor will engage and the A/C lamp will show illuminated.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the same system you do. You need to turn the temp knob one click clockwise off the coldest setting and the A/C light will go off and the compressor will not be working. Now try this, fan speed doesn't matter, start with the A/C function off (not illuminated) and the temp knob at center temp. Turn the knob all the way counterclockwise...the A/C compressor will engage and the A/C lamp will show illuminated.
Yes I know this. It doesn't matter. My ac light is off and its still blowing cold air it is 92 today and without the ac light on its cooling the cab there is no difference if I set it to max cold or 1 click past.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I looked at the compressor with everything off but fan speed and the clutch was cycling.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked at the compressor with everything off but fan speed and the clutch was cycling.
Even with my fan speed off my compressor still running

·
Registered
339 Posts
Now that don't seem right.

·
Registered
13,585 Posts
Is the actual A/C button illuminated?

You do have to turn the a/c off to get ambient air in...

My gf's 13 Venza has the auto climate control and for some reason if it is more than 5° difference from inside chosen temp to warmer outside temp the car automatically turns the recirculating function on for a few minutes when you start driving.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is the actual A/C button illuminated?

You do have to turn the a/c off to get ambient air in...

My gf's 13 Venza has the auto climate control and for some reason if it is more than 5° difference from inside chosen temp to warmer outside temp the car automatically turns the recirculating function on for a few minutes when you start driving.
Nope ac light is off. I know my way around cars, was a bmw, Porsche , Benz tech for 10 years. And now I am a helicopter avionics supervisor. Never had a problem like this before

1 - 16 of 16 Posts