Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for one rear ABS sensor, picking up poor signal from a worn wheel bearing, can
totally screw up my 2011 Limited? I've had the dreaded "all lights on" on my dash for months.
Poor fuel mileage, limp mode, no 4x4, all intermittently mind you. Took it to a shop and was
told RR wheel bearing is worn, that could cause the problem. The wheel seems tight to me.
So, what's my next move fellas? Getting close to wits end.

2011, 190K, well maintained ( I thought), all stock except for one size larger tiles.

Thank you.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If there's enough vibration or play in that wheel it could definitely mess up a sensor. Lift it up and move it around and see what you think... Also rotate it to see if you feel any rough spots or anything. Also did you have codes read? They should be stored even if they are not currently lit up.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reputable shop said no codes what so ever.
If there is play in the rear wheels, I can't feel it.
Now, 2 months ago at the Auto zone, the RR wheel faulty sensor code came up and he cleared it.
I did find grease on that sensor and cleaned it well. Problem came back in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Where did Grease come from at the rear wheel? 2 different sources point to an issue at that wheel. Did the 2nd shop come to that conclusion without you telling them about the autozone code pointing to that wheel?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No darn it, I told them about it first! I don't know how black grease got on the RR wheel sensor unit.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Maybe try another shop? I know abs sensors can be flaky sometimes... Maybe try replacing that one on your own if it's not too expensive. Sometimes it's just the wiring or connection, sometimes the sensor itself. There's also the clock plus ring or whatever they call it that the sensor reads. Not sure how that's set up on the tundra.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Something you might want to try is to disconnect and then reconnect the sensor. Being in aviation with lots and lots of connectors on planes, this trick sometimes helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it possible for one rear ABS sensor, picking up poor signal from a worn wheel bearing, can
totally screw up my 2011 Limited? I've had the dreaded "all lights on" on my dash for months.
Poor fuel mileage, limp mode, no 4x4, all intermittently mind you. Took it to a shop and was
told RR wheel bearing is worn, that could cause the problem. The wheel seems tight to me.

2011, 190K, well maintained ( I thought), all stock except for one size larger tiles.

Thank you.
Got my 07 in shop. Exact same thing seal

Thank you.
out bearing bad everything on dash lit up
No darn it, I told them about it first! I don't know how black grease got on the RR wheel sensor unit.
Got mine in my shop sensor out wheel bearing out all lites on dash on had to build bearing puller to get off total pain,2-days to get bearing,seal was out also,black grease was bearing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had the wiring harness that runs to the front wheel sensor go out and it knocked out a lot of stuff like ABS, Traction control, etc and as I remember it, it went into limp mode, and turned on a bunch of lights you would not think would be related to that. The dealership found it right away and it was not expensive to replace. That is most likely your issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The local Toyota dealership says it's the RR wheel bearing going bad and causing the ABS sensor to wig out.
I'm going to get the parts and install a new bearing hub assembly. I don't relish going to a machine shop to press out/in the new unit, but it needs to be done.

Thank you for all the tips and suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts