Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 5.7 Tundra Rock Warrior.
Anyone have any troubleshooting steps for the ABS/VSC/TCS system?

Soft pedal (to the floor), so I replaced the master (yes, I bench bled). No change.
The issue is I can't hear the pump when key-on after removing pressure with key off (m/c bleeding procedure) and when bleeding the rear brakes, there is no evidence the pump is working.
All the fuses appear to be good. No dash lights present. ABS/VSC tries to work (ie. I can hear and feel the actuating and the light appear until stable), but nothing actually happens.
The other giveaway is I spin tires at most intersections without trying.

Before I fork out the coin for the pump/module, I want to make sure I'm not missing something else.

No signs of any leaks. I have tried re-bleeding the system with my Motive pressure bleeder with no success.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have a 2011 Tundra Limited Crewmax 4x4. 100,000 miles. Low pedal. 1.5" from carpet to top of rubber pad with engine running petal depressed.

Replaced rotors, pads, no improvement. Dealer inspected, the dealer said:
REPLACE ABS ACTUATOR ASSEMBLY AND BLEED
BRAKE SYSTEM. (BRAKE PEDAL IS SOFT/ LOW ONLY
WITH VEHILCE RUNNING. INTERNAL LEAK IN ABS
ACTUATOR ASSEMBLY.)
Fail $2,475.87

I am having them replace the ABS ACTUATOR ASSEMBLY. Painful for a truck that should run 300,000 miles. Its making me think Toyota was a mistake, my prior F150 went 280,000 miles without incident. After the repair I will report back and indicate if it fixed the issue. Appears Toyota had issuues with the ABS ACTUATOR ASSEMBLY in Prius and other models.

Are othe Tundra owners having to replace thier ABS ACTUATOR ASSEMBLY?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cole. Let me know how it turns out.

I just replaced both rear wheel bearings (and backing plates) as well and I just went over 80k miles a week ago. I've had every service done by the dealer since new. The lifetime extended warranty the dealer gave me (free) when I purchased the truck new isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Not really happy with Toyota dependability any more. These brakes have been an ongoing issue for over 6 months now. It's getting old.

If your problem is fixed by the ABS Actuator Assembly replacement, I think I'll pick up a used one, replace it, and trade this in for a Ford or Chevy. I'm tired of wrenching on this thing in the little free time I have anymore.

Thanks and 73!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Any update?

Mine is doing the same, how did the diagnose it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update: the dealer said the abs module was leaking internally, although i had no abs light, warning or code thrown. Service writer said "the light doesnt have anything to do with the hydrolic part". . They said they put guages on it, and could see it leaking internally. they replaced the module, bill totaled $3,000. Drove truck and could tell NO differance from before. Showed the dealer the photo of my petal height before and after, unchanged! They said thier test, which didnt have a print out or any stored data, showed it was leaking internally. The truck was not leaking any fluid externally, has the same petal, and did not stop any different than before and still no light.

subnote on bill sais" customer has aftermarket pads front and rear and that may be causing increased stopping distance". So, i believe they changed the abs module, it made no improvement, the noticed the non oe pads, covered themselves with the note, and billed me $3k.

I kept the old abs module, i had to repeatadly ask for it at the dealer, although i told them to retain it. I said where is my old module, oh you want it, they asked? Yes, thats why i asked you to keep it for me. Oh, let me go find it. i wish i woul have tried oe pads first, i'm convinced that is the issue now. The 3k was a complete rip off by toyota. Next truck = not a toyota. Hell, a $3k unjustified repair on a truck with 130k miles? It doesnt feel good to be cheated by the place that you spent $50k on a tundra at.

service manager called and said he was concerned about it. told him nothing had changed with the truck after $3K spent.

·
Super Moderator
5,322 Posts
Update: the dealer said the abs module was leaking internally, although i had no abs light, warning or code thrown. Service writer said "the light doesnt have anything to do with the hydrolic part". . They said they put guages on it, and could see it leaking internally. they replaced the module, bill totaled $3,000. Drove truck and could tell NO differance from before. Showed the dealer the photo of my petal height before and after, unchanged! They said thier test, which didnt have a print out or any stored data, showed it was leaking internally. The truck was not leaking any fluid externally, has the same petal, and did not stop any different than before and still no light.

subnote on bill sais" customer has aftermarket pads front and rear and that may be causing increased stopping distance". So, i believe they changed the abs module, it made no improvement, the noticed the non oe pads, covered themselves with the note, and billed me $3k.

I kept the old abs module, i had to repeatadly ask for it at the dealer, although i told them to retain it. I said where is my old module, oh you want it, they asked? Yes, thats why i asked you to keep it for me. Oh, let me go find it. i wish i woul have tried oe pads first, i'm convinced that is the issue now. The 3k was a complete rip off by toyota. Next truck = not a toyota. Hell, a $3k unjustified repair on a truck with 130k miles? It doesnt feel good to be cheated by the place that you spent $50k on a tundra at.

service manager called and said he was concerned about it. told him nothing had changed with the truck after $3K spent.
Since you are in Colleyville, Im curious which dealer you went to?

·
Registered
292 Posts

So it’s still the same?

I’m about to thrown on a new master cylinder see if that fixes my issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
yes, its still the same. they claimed to have tested the master cylinder and said it was fine. when my issue started i had just changed the pads front and rear. its possible forcing the calipers back open may have caused air to get in the ststem, but i'm not sure how. To resolve may require cycling the abs controller.

·
Registered
292 Posts
yes, its still the same. they claimed to have tested the master cylinder and said it was fine. when my issue started i had just changed the pads front and rear. its possible forcing the calipers back open may have caused air to get in the ststem, but i'm not sure how. To resolve may require cycling the abs controller.

Dam, going to PM. Would love to grab a phone call with you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
just a question have you replaced the front calipers, i know you said that you just replaced the brakes with aftermarket pads and rotors which can cause low pedal feel and longer stopping distance. but a seized caliper piston will also cause the same feeling.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sounds like most run in's i have with Toyota service (any other people it seems), it's almost like trouble shooting has gone out the window which is crazy considering the hourly shop charges. Too bad there aren't more @ViktorG 's around.

·
Registered
292 Posts
So it’s still the same?

I’m about to thrown on a new master cylinder see if that fixes my issue.

Well master cylinder didn’t fix my issue either.

Contemplating replacing the booster next. Argh. More money down the drain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Whew, that sucks. I hate having to throw parts at a problem, but have done it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Looks like I’m going whole sale it and pickup a used raptor.

What a let down after all this time.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I decided to unplug the negative cable from the battery this morning and let it set for 30mins. Plug it back on, and i swear my pedal issue is gone.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Never mind it’s still the same. Wishful thinking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts