Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read a ton of threads about kinda similar issues but not really what I am experiencing. My 14 CM has been leveled with 5100s and has 285 55 20s on it. Toyo Open Country Tires at about 1/2 life left. Certainly not highest quality tires but never had grip problems. I have not done the VSC thing yet, I'll get to that when I can find time because it does use VSC too readily. Some members mentioned ABS improvements after this. There are also multiple procedures about how to do that reset.

It's just becoming the wet season here and I've had the ABS activate under fairly gentle braking several times. I have ABS on multiple vehicles, even on one of my motorcycles and have never had it activate so easily. Today the truck reduced braking enough that I may have hit the car in front if I hadn't steered away to be safe, it was nowhere near a panic stop. Just routine braking for a stop light, I was barely on the pedal. When I put the wheels on 3000 miles ago I didn't notice the pads even close to worn down, rotors looked ok. Didn't turn them but no pulsing or other braking issues that would indicate that.

Does the VSC reset help this? Other likely candidates? Since I'm out of work due to injury I'd rather not take to dealership until I have at least asked for others' opinions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I did the short 2 pins in OBD plug 4x in 8 secs with ign on,but not running to clear,memory turned off. then shorted for a few secs with ign on
I did not get any flashing lights like the short guide said I would. In fact nothing happened on the dash at all. It's a rare dry day of course so can't really check if ABS is better. On dry pavement under heavy braking ABS did not activate, assuming the chattering in pedal I felt before was ABS pump working and not yet another safety feature I don't know about. Heavy accel in straight line did not set off VSC, sharp right turn activated it did as expected. I miss my old trucks.
SO I don't know if the flashing lights thing is no longer applicable, or I did something wrong. Don't care as long as I can trust it to stop in an emergency. Next step would be shimming the sensor I guess.

I'll wait 5 mins and it'll rain (PNW joke) so I can find out if a more significant issue with wheel speed sensors or something is happening. Toyota will charge about $100 just to pull in so hope to avoid that BS. They already didn't know how TPMS set button worked. I showed them the details in manual and they said it wasn't right and I'd need 4 new tpms if i pushed the button because it cleared memory of what tpms sensors were in there currently. Like Toyota would make a "screw it all up" button.

I'll find different dealer.Trying and failing is annoying, but telling me I can't read is another.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would use an Ohm meter to test each of the ABS sensors. Most likely one is failing. There may also be a poor connection to one of the sensors as this would provide a false reading to the computer as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Calson - thanks for replying. It's damp today so I'll get a bit slippier road to test on.If it still seems touchy I'll have it looked at. Not a system I want an issue in. If I can find correct test points I'll look; if not I have a few trusted mechs that might do it just for owing favors.
I hate to take to dealer after warranty but I have a BMW bike in pieces, major landscaping work and numerous other projects to get done by 24th, when I lose right arm use for 4-6 months. Projects piling up fast, motivation not so much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When's the last time your brakes have been serviced? Possible you have a frozen pin or pad?
Good point. I've never really inspected them Just got quick visual when I mounted wheels. Bought at 80K so if original they are toast by now anyway. I get free rotations so I'll ask to check when it's in shop next.

Doing the VSC clear and reset thing seems to have helped but we've had an amazingly dry Oct so far so I haven't had a chance to test in wet. Nice to no longer see that VSC light when I punch it, which is rare but fun to do on a backroad or onramp.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Even if the pads are good, might not be a bad idea to take them out and re-lube the pins and contact points and clean off any rust. If they are binding and the truck isnt stopping as fast as it thinks it should be, it could be taking it as a slide and activating the abs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even if the pads are good, might not be a bad idea to take them out and re-lube the pins and contact points and clean off any rust. If they are binding and the truck isnt stopping as fast as it thinks it should be, it could be taking it as a slide and activating the abs.
I haven't been able to get the ABS to modulate pressure since doing the VSC reset. It just got wet here so I'll take it out tomorrow and see how it does. But your point is a good one, I should inspect all corners as any repeat of it might become a serious event if truck really won't let me brake due to some minor bind in the caliper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts