Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm about to purchase a 2010 Tundra Dbl Cab 5.7. I've got it narrowed down between two very similar vehicles. One has the cold weather and tow packages, and the other doesn't. (Although the one without, does have a hitch receiver, wire imput, and tow/haul button.) Currently I don't have anything to tow, but that could change in the future. I live in NH where we get a lot of snow. Basically I'm looking for some feedback from owners as to whether these two packages make a big difference. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
What's the price difference, mileage difference and other differences between the two? The cold weather package is only $160 from the dealer on the new 2013 price list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The truck with the options has 5,000 less miles, and is $1000 more. Other than that the two are pretty similar.

·
Super Moderator
10,869 Posts
the towing package also includes a transmission cooler. You might want to check if truck #2 has one.
Some other things to consider with the tow package. In addition to the transmission cooler the tow package also includes a larger alternator and larger battery, plus, depending on what type of hitch the non-tow package truck has, you could possibly lose towing capacity even if you added the alternator and transmission cooler on your own since the Tundra hitch reaches several feet back and integrates into the frame in order to provide more weight transfer to the front of the vehicle. If the other hitch is not designed this way it is possible that the tow rating would not be as high; don't know that for sure though.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I'd go with the one with the options and 5k less miles.

"Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"
-Someone smarter than me on these forums​

·
Registered
528 Posts
In '07 the Cold pkg. included heavy-duty battery, heavy-duty starter, enhanced anti-corrosion protection and the windshield wiper de-icer grid with timer. The tow pkg.included tow hitch receiver,7 pin connector, trailer brake control prewire,supplemental transmission cooler, tow/haul mode, transmission temp.gauge, 4.30 differential gear ratio. Ya, for another $1,000 and 5000 fewer miles, I'd go with the optioned one

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
What are you going to be doing in the truck? One is setup for towing. If you aren't towing anything, then you don't really need it. The other has heating coils in the bottom of the windshield and in the mirrors. Sounds like that might be better in your area. However, both of those could be added to the truck with the tow package for enough money. New mirrors and new heated windshield, figure probably $1000 for those. The tow package would take a lot of money to be added.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Unless the weather has improved a lot since the last time I was in NH, get the one with the cold weather package!!
The heated windshield isn't what most people expect. I just defrosts the area where the wipers park but that's useful in the winter. The heated mirrors are very handy!
The extra battery capacity and larger alternator are definitely a plus.
The towing package is a big deal if you tow, not so much if not. The factory hitch is a nice setup and makes a handy spot to hook your tow cable when pulling your neighbors out of a snow drift.

·
"TT's SLO'est 5.7"
434 Posts
+1 with what everyone else has said, for 1k more, you can't beat the options you will get.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for all of your feedback. The winters here are cold, icy, and long...so having the heated mirrors and wipers that don't ice up as much will be nice. Having the tow package will be nice if we do end up getting the boat fixed up and in the water someday. I've made my decision and am looking forward to getting in my new wheels. Thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts