Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was reading about the OEM alarms in certain Tundras and was excited to see that my Tundra fell into the "you have an alarm...Toyota didn't turn it on" group. I live near a few Toyota Dealers and decided to venture out to get my alarm turned on. Dealer "A".....I explain to the service guy what I have learned about the factory alarm and how easy it is to activate it. He immediately starts with the "qualifier questions" (did you buy your truck here?)......After a short discussion he says he has never heard of such a thing and that according to my VIN I don't have an alarm system, However they would be happy to sell me one....(Seriously?). I explained that it was my understanding the whole procedure would only take 5 mins, and I ask if they would be willing to at least check my theory. He stated they would, but wanted to charge me.........($60-$120). "Thank you for your time, have a nice day" and I left.....On to Dealer "B"..........I explained the same thing to Dealer "B" and he was unaware that this was possible, He called the tech over and both agreed this was something they hadnt seen before, but agreed to check it out. 5 minutes later the service guy returns with a smile and hands me my keys.....he says "we learned something new today". NO CHARGE!!!!!! So, boys and girls I have a working alarm system free of charge and now know that dealer "A" sucks! :D

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
I have an apt Monday at my dealer for complimentary oil change and inspection and I am going to attempt o have them turn on the alarm...I hope they don't act like your "dealer A" and lose me as a customer, mainly because they are so close to where I live.

Reactions: lars00n

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an apt Monday at my dealer for complimentary oil change and inspection and I am going to attempt o have them turn on the alarm...I hope they don't act like your "dealer A" and lose me as a customer, mainly because they are so close to where I live.
I hope you have a "Dealer B" experience. Let us know how it goes. I went with polite and informed with both dealers. It shows you how some dealers are set up to "maximize" profits before building relationships. Sad commentary. Good luck!

Reactions: morser77

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
You should go ahead and install the glass break sensor to optimize the system.

It is basically just a microphone that plugs into one of the blanks in your dash.

I guess breaking glass emits a certain frequency. I don't really know the theory.

A lot of us including me bought the software and cable on ebay for $35.00

Reactions: 11TundraSR5

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should go ahead and install the glass break sensor to optimize the system.

It is basically just a microphone that plugs into one of the blanks in your dash.

I guess breaking glass emits a certain frequency. I don't really know the theory.

A lot of us including me bought the software and cable on ebay for $35.00
Ill assume its straight forward since it took toyota under 5 mins to turn my alarm on.....I'll look into it for sure. Thanks OkSlim! :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the software is one of the best investments I made after I got my truck. It also worked with my wife's highlander as well .
Hey, maybe it'll work on the wife's Camry. Can I program it to drive her far far away????? :rolleyes:

Reactions: MaylonTRD

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Glass does break at a certain frequency. You can put a glass break sensor in your house to cover those areas that aren't in view of the motion sensor too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
A lot of people get put off when a dealership employee asks if they bought I there. Usually he is only asking to see if he can pull your information up in the system, not to treat you any different. Service guys don't really care if you bought it elsewhere

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
Ill assume its straight forward since it took toyota under 5 mins to turn my alarm on.....I'll look into it for sure. Thanks OkSlim! :D
You are welcome. It's what I do.

Yes it is a plug and play based on everything I have read. The sensor wires should be behind the blank. Ask someone that has it which blank it is. Actually I think it shows it in the owners manual. The connector is behind it.

Reactions: mitch4ging

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
I had a dealer activate the alarm in my last Tundra with no problem.

My new Tundra is another story. Bought it from a different dealer and they argued with me that it can't be done unless a glass break sensor is installed. I handed them the TechStream instructions found on TRDSparks, but it didn't matter. Very frustrating

·
Registered
58 Posts
I activated my alarm via techstream before I installed the glass break sensor. Took me literally 3 minutes.

Anyone in San Diego needing a hand just PM.

Jay

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 07 - 5.7 Tundra with glass break sensor. I to found out it wasn't activated. On my last visit to the dealer for some recall work i asked them to check to see if it was active. They checked and said no but now it is ( + $ 55.00 ). I asked them how do i know it is working ?. He said "break the glass" HaHa... I tried the tips found here, tap on the glass with a key, bang on the window. I even left the window open and clapped as loud as i could, no luck. Question, any other way to determine if it is active ??

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Sit inside with a drinking glass or beer bottle and break that? Cheeper than a window.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Clapping and banging won't work for the glass break. I have been told that glass breaks at a certain frequency. I think you will have to break some glass to check.

From a quick google search:

Acoustic sensors are designed specifically to detect breaking glass and splintering wood's sound frequency.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts