Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning driving home from work I accelerate from a stop like I normally do, half to 3/4 throttle, engine is accelerating normal then all of a sudden the revs skyrocket and at the same instant it sounds like I hit a patch of gravel. Sounds like a thousand tiny rocks bouncing off the bottom of the truck. I look behind me and see a huge cloud of black/blue smoke. Then comes the unmistakable smell of hot oil. The truck then starts running really rough, I've already taken my foot off the gas at this point, and is revving like its in neutral even though its still in drive. I shift into s mode to see if that helps and nothing. So I coast to a safe turn off and the truck stumbles and dies. I try to restart and nothing. Try again and it starts cranking. But still won't turn over. That's when the smoke starts rising through the hood and that's how I know my fate is sealed and I wasn't hallucinating. The engine is blown. Get out and see oil literally pouring out of the bottom of the engine. Pop the hood and see oil spray all along the frame rails. It's still dark so I can't see the extent of the damage but I know there's a hole in the block now that wasn't there before and should never be.

I have it towed to the nearest dealer, don McGill Toyota on kirkwood where it sits now. They won't be able to look at it until Wednesday to tell me what's going to happen next. Thankfully I have the Toyota extended warranty but I'm sure I'm going to have to fight with them to have it covered. Wonderful start to the first weekend of summer.

Specs on the truck:
2010 TRD Rock Warrior Double Cab
66800 miles
5.7L
Oil last changed myself at 58600 miles in my driveway with castrol syntec 0w-20.
All stock except for leveling kit, 35's, and mbrp single exhaust.

Any pointers on dealing with the extended warranty adjuster and making sure I get taken care of? I've never had this happen before so I'm lost. Stress levels are through the roof. I'm in the middle of a divorce and custody battle so money is scarce, I've barely had enough to cover the payments. I don't know what I'm gonna do if I have to lay for the repairs out of pocket. Thanks in advance

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm surprised they cant look at it until Wednesday!!

Doesnt sound like you've played with your engine at all, I would imagine the warranty claim should be okay...when was the last time you took it to dealer for maintenance?

They're going to look at your dealership visits first most likely.

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yep... they are going to look at your service record. Have you kept a log of your oil changes and recipts from purchases related to oil changes?

On a side note.... you are at 8K miles from your last oil change.... isn't the 5.7 rated for changes every 5K?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
If you have extra care and maintenance reciepts i wouldnt be too worried, they are the best ext warranty out there. You will likely get a used engine but the last one i was sent on an extra care claim was amazingly clean. They get their engines from Jarco, they clean them, replace anything broken and run them before they are sent out

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Let her have the truck in the divorce and take the cash and the kid(s).

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the kicker, and the main reason I'm worried....I do all my own maintenance and have not been able to find my receipts from my last couple purchases. Pretty sure they got lost/thrown away when I moved out of my house. But I do keep a detailed log on my computer of each time I do maint. I hope you guys are right as far as getting it covered. I'm stressing majorly over here. On top of the $100 diagnostic fee, the dealership is charging $1900 to remove and disassemble the engine, so if ExtraCare denies the claim I'm still out 2 grand before rental car, and I still have to get the truck fixed.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I doubt they can prove the damage was due to not changing oil often enough. I can't even remember the last time I heard of a motor blowing up due to poor lubrication.
Really? Rods usually kick due to poor lubrication and a kicked rod is what puts a whole in the block.

I have seen rods kick due to bolt failure as well but it is usually lack of oil. The tell tale sign is how intact you find the bearing on the rod that failed. If most of it is there but mangled it is the bolt failed first, it there are a lot of shavings and little to no bearing there was no oil the bearing got beat up and left and then the rod failed

·
Registered
409 Posts
Here's the kicker, and the main reason I'm worried....I do all my own maintenance and have not been able to find my receipts from my last couple purchases. Pretty sure they got lost/thrown away when I moved out of my house. But I do keep a detailed log on my computer of each time I do maint. I hope you guys are right as far as getting it covered. I'm stressing majorly over here. On top of the $100 diagnostic fee, the dealership is charging $1900 to remove and disassemble the engine, so if ExtraCare denies the claim I'm still out 2 grand before rental car, and I still have to get the truck fixed.

Really? Disassemble it, it's already apart it needs an engine they are just trying to screw u there, 1900 equals around 18hrs flat rate and that's crazy. How far away is the dealer where u bought the truck from? If close call them and give them the business with out all the hassle. We aren't allowed to put the cust on the hook for anything if we've sold them the warranty. And I'm sure they would be happy as hell to ring up that cust pay job. I do ext war all day long, usually adjusters don't know the first thing about cars much less engines so don't be worried about ur war worry about the serv advisor ur dealing with.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
The service contract wont approve anything with out a complete diagnoses so it needs to be torn down for them to send an inspector out and completely document the specific cause of failure

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
This makes me sick to hear. I'm sorry for your added grief to an already bumpy road. All the best on getting warranty to cover.

I'm going to continue having the dealer do my work. If this happens, it's on them. I just really hope they don't pin this on you.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'll hoist a good bourbon in her memory.... hope the dealer takes care of you.

I keep a file on my phone with all truck related purchase and fuel (fuel log app - along with every receipt in the glove box, no matter what for. When I traded my 09 in, the salesdrone was like "what is all that paper?"... I showed him. Even had the receipt for scotchgard I sprayed on the seats when it was new.

·
Registered
413 Posts
while extra care requires that diagnosis... was it purchased through the dealership? because if it was you are not liable for it

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The truck was bought used from Sterling McCall Lexus, who also own a Toyota dealership. If Don McGill isn't willing to work with me I will have the truck towed to Sterling McCall. But it would have cost more to have it towed there than it was to pay the deductible and I had already been up all night so I just left it at Don McGill. The warranty was purchased at the same time I bought the truck. I know as long as ExtraCare covers the repair I won't have to pay the diagnostic fee and rental car, I'm just preparing for worst case scenario what it'd take to get it back on the road if I have to pay out of pocket.

·
Registered
415 Posts
SecretAgent, I would certainly give Sterling McCall a buzz and atleast let them know what happened since it was purchased and the warranty extended through them. Perhaps they'd be willing to get the truck towed up to THEIR dealer so they can get the warranty work/paid by Toyota. Hell itd be worth the call to see if you could get it in earlier...Monday?!

....just what I'd do.

BTW...if he was in fact low on oil...shouldn't the truck have set off one of its many flashers on the dash?!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SecretAgent, I would certainly give Sterling McCall a buzz and atleast let them know what happened since it was purchased and the warranty extended through them. Perhaps they'd be willing to get the truck towed up to THEIR dealer so they can get the warranty work/paid by Toyota. Hell itd be worth the call to see if you could get it in earlier...Monday?!

....just what I'd do.

BTW...if he was in fact low on oil...shouldn't the truck have set off one of its many flashers on the dash?!
Good idea there. Ill have to give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for that.

As for being low on oil. Definitely not. Just checked it a week or so ago and it was halfway between the dots. And there's no way the dealer can dispute that either...just by seeing the size of the oil pool underneath the truck currently at the dealer. Also the puddle left on the tow truck, the puddle left in the street when it blew, and the 1/2 mile oil trail from when it started. lol. For sure had plenty of oil in it.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts