Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was with great sorrow that I drove my 2010 Tundra Crewmax Limited to the dealership. We beat a couple of snot rods in drag races just for old times sake. Due to a change in our towed vehicle, I had to trade in the Tundra. I was hoping to change for a diesel HD Tundra, but alas I could not.

I bought a Ram 3500 Crew Max. The fit and finish were as close to the Tundra as I could find, and the engine is second to none. I appreciate you guys, and your assistance. I hope you all continue to enjoy your Tundras as much as I loved mine. Understand that the ONLY reason I sold it was for more towing capacity (16K). I towed a 8600 lb trailer 15K miles with my Tundra. I've towed through Colorado and halfway across the country with it. The best 1/2 ton on the market hands down.
Thanks!
Ct..

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I know what you are saying Chris.

I once had a Ram QC 3500 Dually with the HO Cummins. That thing would pull a non-mobile home.

Safe travels

·
Registered
577 Posts

·
Banned
513 Posts
Cummins is a hell of an engine minus the emissions crap, now just don't sweat too much when the doors fall off rattling.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
If I had to get a bigger truck I'd go with a Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel as well. I just don't care for the automatic transmission behind a Diesel engine, so I'd have to find one with a manual, and an older one at that like the late 90s. A guy I used to work with bought a newer Dodge Ram Cummins 1 ton 6 speed, and he says that reverse is geared way too high, he says in order to have better control while backing his travel trailer he has to use 4WD low range. Why on earth would you gear reverse to be so fast?

Anyhow good luck with your truck, and post some pictures of it.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Yup #1 reason why my friends are all switching to Ram... it's the only new Diesel pickup truck with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Good luck with the new truck. Hope it serves you well.

One bit of advice coming from a Cummins guy, LEAVE IT STOCK. Trust me, leave it be. You didn't post what year you got, but 10' and up are pretty decent trucks.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Yup #1 reason why my friends are all switching to Ram... it's the only new Diesel pickup truck with a manual transmission.
For some reason a few people still want to row gears. With today's autos, I will never go back. I have towed plenty with the truck you have and it is nothing short of heaven. I have also towed with the Duramax and it is heaven as well.

Out of my two dodge diesel trucks, one was an auto the other was the six speen. If the auto wasn't so weak, I would have got the auto again.

Now with sports cars......

·
Registered
830 Posts
I've driven stick for the last twenty years, and this Tundra is my first auto. I have to say I like it. In my small nimble VW the stick is nice; but in a truck where I drive it in a much more relaxed style I prefer the auto. I also like the idea that I'll never roast a clutch while trying to move something (although I could roast the transmission on a long hill, I suppose).

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Good luck. My FIL has a Dadge (before they became Ram) with Cummins and loves it. I thought my 18.5 mpg through mountainous roads was bada$$, but he easily gets 20 mpg.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
For some reason a few people still want to row gears. With today's autos, I will never go back. I have towed plenty with the truck you have and it is nothing short of heaven. I have also towed with the Duramax and it is heaven as well.

Out of my two dodge diesel trucks, one was an auto the other was the six speen. If the auto wasn't so weak, I would have got the auto again.

Now with sports cars......
I'm OK with the "automanual" transmissions these days, but in terms of driving experience nothing beats the driver-machine-interface of a manual transmission. I do heavy engine braking with anything I drive (yes even gassers, even if it's not as effective) and having a transmission that is a true manual gear select instead of merely top-gear-limit is important to me if it's gonna be an automatic. With newer vehicles the latency is getting to be better, there is always going to be some latency of course if it's shift-by-wire but it's a lot better than when the first solenoid controlled autos came out.

Now some people have other vehicles and use trucks for towing and hauling duty only so that's fine, for me and my friends our trucks are daily drivers and fun cruisers as well. We've modded in grippier double plate clutch discs and such...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts