Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a.r.e. cx cap installed in 2013 limited last june. just noticed rubber gasket at bottom of back window has rubbed paint down to metal. looks like dirt,etc got underneath gasket. talked to the dealer and was told this is sometimes a problem with cx model and tundras. recommended i get a protector for top of tailgate. anyone else have this problem? any feedback welcome. thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think anytime you have something touching the paint that can move you're likely to have issues. I put a strip of thick clear tape (like heavy duty packing tape) at the upper edge of the tailgate to prevent this. Sorry you only found out after it caused damage.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I suspect that the dealer installed your cap just slightly too far forward. I have had my ARE MX since late '07 and it has not damaged the paint on the tailgate.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have the ARE VX series cap on mine. It didn't rub any paint off after the dealer installed it. I took it off once to haul something big and I must have put it back on a little crooked because I rubbed a thin strip of paint off the top, right side of my tailgate too. I plan to touch it up this summer and will probably put a clear cover over that spot. I did adjust the pressure that the latch puts on the tailgate by loosening the bolt holding the latch onto the handle shaft and moving it a bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts