Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed the K&N intake system. I love it. I am not sure how much HP it gave me, but it just feels faster. LOVE the noise it makes. I have recently gotten supercharger fever, and was looking at kits and things, and i see it comes with an airbox and filter. I would like to keep my cone-style COI if I were to get the supercharger. I am wondering if any of you have used an aftermarket intake (on non-Magnuson intake) with the supercharger.

I think normal logic would seem that you could squeeze a few more ponies out with the cold air and SC rather than the box. Thoughts?

I also would love to hear what the experiences of guys who have done the SC upgrade on the '16 type model and if it is worth it and how badass it is.

Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I recently installed the K&N intake system. I love it. I am not sure how much HP it gave me, but it just feels faster. LOVE the noise it makes. I have recently gotten supercharger fever, and was looking at kits and things, and i see it comes with an airbox and filter. I would like to keep my cone-style COI if I were to get the supercharger. I am wondering if any of you have used an aftermarket intake (on non-Magnuson intake) with the supercharger.

I think normal logic would seem that you could squeeze a few more ponies out with the cold air and SC rather than the box. Thoughts?

I also would love to hear what the experiences of guys who have done the SC upgrade on the '16 type model and if it is worth it and how badass it is.

Thanks!

My buddy has the supercharger and the box that comes with kit is cold air intake .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I recently installed the K&N intake system. I love it. I am not sure how much HP it gave me, but it just feels faster. LOVE the noise it makes.
You will gain about negative 9 hp peak and negative 30 hp midrange with the K&N intake system.
I know because I dynoed it.
It sure does make a lot of noise though, if that's the only thing you are after.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Is this with the k&n filter that goes in the stock box ?
No, that's the full "cold air intake" K&N kit with new pipe and cone filter etc.
However, as everyone here will tell you, the stock intake is way more "cold air" than the K&N can ever be.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
So me using the stock box and a k&n filter is cool?
Should be, as long as the K&N panel filter flows the same or better than the stock paper one.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Lots written about how K&N cone oil style air filters not only are suspect on power gains, but with long term use are causing increased engine wear from not trapping dirt particulate as well as paper air filters. Given the SC is already adding increased stress on the engine, why risk using an inferior filter design?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
interesting. I felt that it was more responsive once installed. Very odd that the dyno shows negative gains. I could SWEAR it is quicker than the stock box. Also interesting that the filters could cause problems. I wonder if it still is troublesome if properly maintained and oiled?

I am also running true duals with deleted rear resonators, so maybe my case is slightly different. discrete Magnaflow (couldn't tell you which series) on each cylinder bank. I made some "adjustments" to the air inlet to get a LOT more fresh air in.

At any rate, it seems like the best choice would be to use the Magnuson box when I take the plunge. Now, where to find 7k....... Has anyone financed one on the Magnuson site? are the rates outrageous? might just get a personal loan or put it on a card.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lots written about how K&N cone oil style air filters not only are suspect on power gains, but with long term use are causing increased engine wear from not trapping dirt particulate as well as paper air filters. Given the SC is already adding increased stress on the engine, why risk using an inferior filter design?
would you mind pointing me to some of those things written on the K&N that are negative? Any links?

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
interesting. I felt that it was more responsive once installed. Very odd that the dyno shows negative gains. I could SWEAR it is quicker than the stock box.
You have to be very, very careful with
ometer measurements as opposed to properly quantified measurements (dynamometer, dragstrip etc).
"Feel" is very subjective, often inconsistent, and will fool more times than it tells the truth, especially when added sound enters into the fray. I learned this lesson as a kid trying to tweak engines. Knocking holes in the airbox enclosure made a delightful "WOOOO" sound when the pedal was pressed. I thought I had hit the mother lode in terms of hop ups. Then one day I decided to measure just how much at an actual dragstrip. What an enlightenment it turned out to be.....as alluded to above, the nice quiet closed airbox with stock cold air ducting was three tenths faster. :eek:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
interesting. I felt that it was more responsive once installed. Very odd that the dyno shows negative gains. I could SWEAR it is quicker than the stock box. Also interesting that the filters could cause problems. I wonder if it still is troublesome if properly maintained and oiled?

I am also running true duals with deleted rear resonators, so maybe my case is slightly different. discrete Magnaflow (couldn't tell you which series) on each cylinder bank. I made some "adjustments" to the air inlet to get a LOT more fresh air in.

At any rate, it seems like the best choice would be to use the Magnuson box when I take the plunge. Now, where to find 7k....... Has anyone financed one on the Magnuson site? are the rates outrageous? might just get a personal loan or put it on a card.....

Got mine from Sparksparts.com
Use code "SCMAGNUSON" for $400 off. Total was $6500 shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,397 Posts

egyptian descent going down the nile are we?:eek:

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Filter media

would you mind pointing me to some of those things written on the K&N that are negative? Any links?
I'm a member of several other forums, its been discussed extensively, not sure I want to quote from those discussions. Tests have been done to show that dirt gets past the K&N style filter that attempts to catch dirt by having it stick to the oil. Over time, dirt builds up in the intake system which those that rebuild their engines often have noticed (racers, motocycles,etc.) After thousands of iles, with the dirt entering the cumbustion chamber, it causes additional piston ring wear.

You can google search it, but know that the first 15 search results are all paid by K&N. Just don't drink the cool aid. A company that has made millions selling air filters with completely unsubstantiated horsepower gains is not to be trusted.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'll never forget the time I pulled my intake manifold off to repair the knock sensor harness which had been chewed by rats. The inside of the intake manifold was caked with mud, a mixture of oily dirt. Had a k&n filter in the stock air box for about 3 years, always kept clean and properly oiled. Can only image how much crap this thing allowed through my motor, I'll never use an oiled style filter again.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.