Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats going on Tundra Talk world? I installed an aftermarket HU Alpine IVA-W505 and everything seemed to work after i buttoned everything back up. I didn't figure out until it was dark that I had a problem. I turned on my headlights and all of the lights that illuminate the A/C controls and the gearshift position indicator n longer work. In addition the clock also disappears, very strange I know when the head lights are off the clock works but when i turn them on it doesn't. I searched the forum and all i found is that i may have blown the rheostat. I called my local Toyota service dept and they said that it would be really hard to do that being that everything works except for the lights that I stated above. Can someone please help me?

·
Registered
2 Posts
all I can suggest at this stage is that perhaps the 'lights' wire/wiring to your Alpine is where the problem lies.
It could be that when you switch the cars lights on, it is creating some kind of short, but it sounds as though it is a short with some kind of resistance, that is, not a dead short, otherwise it would most likely have blown a fuse.
Check the wiring to your Alpine 'lights' connection again. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2trout thanks for the response but I uninstalled and reinstalled everything. I also checked any fuse that had to do with lights or a/c that I could think to check and I am still having the same results. This is really frustrating. I called Toyota and spoke with a service tech and he said that before the Rheostat would go bad a fuse would have blown. I am lost and cannot figure this stuff out. I really need some help.

·
Registered
281 Posts
did you make sure to cap off the white/orange coming from the tundra harness so that it didn't touch metal and short out? I would recheck all your fuses again included the ones under the hood.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i capped off the orange and whit wire on the radio harness and the orange and black on on the installation harness but now this is really getting annoying. I pulled every one of my fuses under both the hood and the dash and checked all of them and found they were all good to go. It is almost like there may be another fuse some where or there is just an electrical short somewhere. I am really going to hate taking it to the dealership to figure this out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had the same problem. You blew your illumination circuit ground which runs into the combination meter(guage cluster). You need to pull your gauge cluster and splice into the red wire and add a new ground. Poor engineering! If there is a short then a fuse should blow not your combination meter!

Reactions: chode and vjorgem

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jpsweet, thanks for the response. when you say the I blew my illumination circuit ground which runs into the combination meter(guage cluster) do you mean the gauge cluster that is normally illuminated under the radio?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jxm1092, I have a 2007 Tundra Crew Max. My dashlights work. The A/C control lights are the ones that are not working and the gearshift lights are not working. the clock works when i do not turn on my headlights. As soon as I turn on my headlights the clock no longer works.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Gauge Cluster is this

there is a wire harness behind it and in Pin #37 there is a red ground wire you need to splice into it and ground it again. See attached to see what the wire harness looks like and the pin place ment.
View attachment combination meter EWD.pdf

·
Registered
79 Posts
jxm1092, I have a 2007 Tundra Crew Max. My dashlights work. The A/C control lights are the ones that are not working and the gearshift lights are not working. the clock works when i do not turn on my headlights. As soon as I turn on my headlights the clock no longer works.
SAME EXACT problem i had, do what i mentioned above and it will solve all your problems, but your dimmer switch will no longer work now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Had this same issue after installing my Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD. I have attached pictures of the fix.
I don't think I needed to remove the steering wheel, but it made it easier.

This is the connector on the back of the gauge cluster.

Using the pdf from above, I got the #37 pin (red wire) and spliced it to the ground wire I used when I installed my fog light switch.

You can see the red wire up top routed behind the dash and connected to the frame at the bottom.

·
Registered
63 Posts
:bump:

Having the same problem described above and performed the fix described here.

Now when I turn the parking/night lights on I get the following
1. Info screen stays lit (doesnt dim anymore but I can live with that).
2. 4hi/lo will light for a split second then go out. Cant confirm if the AC controls or gear shifters light up yet as I ran out of spare fuses.
3. Blown 7.5A Panel fuse.

Any suggestions? Im guessing I have a short somewhere within the circuit but am confused since the info screen stays lit. From all the info I have gathered grounding pin #37 seemed to resolve everyone's issue.

TIA

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I'm now experiencing this issue. Can someone explain how the ground in Pin 37 gets damaged? And how this solves the issue?

And why won't the dim feature work anymore? Thats unacceptable to me.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Mine didn't have the issue until after I installed my aftermarket radio...did you recently change something out?
I was in there wiring up some additional LEDs... Can you repost the photos you took of the circuit and the fix? They are no longer showing on the previous page. thanks I'm trying to get an idea of where this Combo illumination circuit is located to try and fix.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts