Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you read the forums you know I've been planning a relocation from San Antonio to Kansas City for a few months now. For the move I purchased a brand new 22' Haulmark Transport, tandem axles, brakes the works...

I carefully figured up the weight of everything in my house that was making the move and decided it would all fit and come in under the max GVWR of 10,400 lbs for the Trailer and still under the max tow rating for the Tundra.

I assumed that the tongue weight would overload the back of the Tundra a bit and cause some sagging so I went ahead and installed the Firestone Air Bag kit in the rear (this was a good choice). I did this to handle the added load but also to level the truck out so it drove, handled and braked correctly since I couldn't run a WDH on my short tongue v-nose car hauler.

Last week I loaded up the new Haulmark tip to tail - top to bottom in what I considered to be a top notch "Pro" packing job. Once I got everything in and strapped down I dropped it on the back of the Tundra and as expected it sagged the rear end a good 3.5"... Not too big of deal because I'm running some CB +3 shackles. I aired up my E rated tires to 65psi in the rear and 60psi in the front and then put 65 psi in the Firestone bags and the truck leveled itself out perfect.

The next morning at 430am I loaded a few last minute things into the bed of the truck (caveat - I was pretty sure I had the bed overloaded GVW) but I had no choice but to roll on)... Then I took out of SA with plans of driving to Oklahoma City and stopping for the night.

Right off the bat I obviously noticed the trailer, come on its 22' long and heavy! BUT the tundra in Tow Haul mode easily got up to speed on the highways and maintained speed with ease.

I settled in at between 60 and 64mph, the Tundra seemed happy at that speed and I got the brakes on the trailer adjusted to around 60% of max for good equal braking.

Some other things I noticed was the truck rode very smooth, even with such a big load (at the time I still wasn't sure of the total weight of the trailer) and the tranny shifted smooth, and didn't hunt for gears or hop back and forth. These trucks truly tow VERY WELL! The only rough spots i noticed were hitting the seams between highways and bridges - some were pretty jolting bumps but otherwise good suspension movement and good ride.

One thing I was worried about was trailer sway since I couldn't run a WDH on this trailer. But I'm happy to report that with the trailer loaded properly, the air bags leveling the truck out and keeping the speeds reasonable I never once experience any trailer sway. I think the V-Nose does exactly as its designed and funnels air around the trailer for nice straight pulling down the road!

Finally when I got into FT worth I came across a CAT Certified Scale and I was pleased to weigh the entire rig only to find out that my figuring was pretty dead on accurate. The trailer itself weighed in at 8890lbs (I was figuring it would be near 9500lbs), the rear axle of the Tundra came in at 5520lbs (my best guess was 1200lbs tongue weight plus another 350lbs in stuff that was stored in the bed of the truck)( and the front axle weight was 2270. Total weight over the entire 4 axles was nearly 17,000lbs.

As I got into OKC around 3pm I decided to grab some food and relax a little. Afterwards I was reenergized and decided to drive to Wichita and stop for the day but the truck and trailer drove so well I just kept the pedal down when I hit the Kansas State line! The hills outside wichita (better known as the Flint Hills) were surely going to provide some challenges for this little half ton tundra - RIGHT? WRONG! Even the largest hill outside Wichita, known as Cattle hill was no match for the 5.7 pulling nearly 9000lbs! I downshifted and the tundra ran up into the 3800-4000 rpm range and chugged that trailer right up and across the flinties like it was no big deal!

From there on it was an easy 3.5 hr cruise into the kansas city area!

Later on I'll post my total fuel usage but I can tell you I averaged 8.235 mpg throughout the entire 820 mile trip!

If you have questions about the towing capabilities of these trucks or transmissions or the Air Bags, DON'T WORRY these trucks can handle it!

I couldn't be happier or more impressed and will continue to tow with this truck for many many years to come!

· Registered
702 Posts
Nice Man!

I towed my house in a 20x8.5 trailer a few months ago from NJ to Salt Lake City, UT (about 2200miles!!) I didn't have the foresight to get the airbag kit but i really wish I did. My trailer was only a 7000lb gross rating and I'm prett sure I overloaded it. The tires were toast by the time I got here!

But even with the sagging rear of the truck it handled great! I noticed some power loss going through the rockies of course, but all in all for a 1/2 ton truck i was very pleased. My biggest complaint was the fuel milage though... I forget how many gallons but I spent about $1200 on fuel (in a 48 hour period) and averaged about 6.5mpg for the whole trip.

Glad to hear your trip went safely!

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

· Registered
875 Posts

· Registered
702 Posts
I purchsed my trailer new: a 2013 Arising Industries 20'x8.5' V-nose trailer with 7000lbs GVWR and paid $4895 for it. Cheap I know, but it was well made, brakes on both axles, all LED lights. But it lasted the 2200 mile trip with no isses aside from tire wear (most likely due to over loading)

I got out here and sold it to a dealer for $3800 within 2 days. I'm sure I could have gotten more for it had I sold it privately, but with the hassle of getting settled and not having a place to park it, I decided it was best to just flip it.

Doing some math: I could have rented a u-haul trailer (12'x7") for about $800 for the trip. Considering the Uhaul had about half the volume of the trailer I bought I was happy with the loss I took. And to rent a comparable sized uhaul truck would be almost $2500. Being out of pocket $1100 is a very good deal (IMO) for using a trailer)

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm hoping to now sell the trailer for somewhere between $6800 - $7000 making my cost to move almost zero... My company paid for all fuel, food, moving supplies and lodging.

· Registered
702 Posts
I'm hoping to now sell the trailer for somewhere between $6800 - $7000 making my cost to move almost zero... My company paid for all fuel, food, moving supplies and lodging.
Thats nice your company gave you the option to split costs. The relocation company that I dealt with either did everything or nothing (and gave a cash out) relating to the move.

I of course did everything myself...

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats nice your company gave you the option to split costs. The relocation company that I dealt with either did everything or nothing (and gave a cash out) relating to the move.

I of course did everything myself...
One time I made the mistake of hiring a company to move me, I've never had more broken stuff... Wasn't about to do it again. This time I broke exactly one thing in my move - and it was after I had moved everything into the new house and I was holding a mail holder and dropped it. Otherwise in transit I didn't break or damage a thing. Something to be said for moving yourself. :D

· Registered
140 Posts
getting ready to move from Gulfport, MS to Nashville, TN in a couple months. I have a 32' Gooseneck 4 horse trailer, I'll have only 3 horses in there so I'm sure I'll fill that extra space with alot of the stuff out of the garage! The trailer has 2 7k axles so I'm good on the weight in the trailer.....its the GVWR that I'm worried about, with just the horses in it I ended up at 3800(FAW) 4500(RAW) and 8500(TAW) bringing my total to 16.8k I think the Tundra is gonna do just fine around 17.5k!!!! And I love the looks I get with the gooseneck hooked on to the CrewMax!!!

· Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Way to go.

Nice write up, glad to see I'm not the only one that just drives.

· Registered
5,147 Posts
If you don't have a WDH then I believe you are WAAAAY over the rating.

· Registered
421 Posts
Drop trailer off in my driveway. Ill uhh..show er' to potential buyers. Yeah...thats it. :D

Reactions: Snocam

· Registered
140 Posts

· Registered
1,385 Posts
that's pretty awesome actually.

When we moved from San Diego to Dallas, we let the company pick up the cost. We could have taken cash to cover the costs or let them do it, I choose the lazy route, let someone else ship it all and box it all up.

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update on Fuel and mileage: Total fuel costs for 821 miles was $423.41, or .515 cents per mile. averaged 8.21mpg Around 117 gallons of fuel for the trip.

· Registered
478 Posts
Awesome read!

I had a 3000 mile round trip two week pull last year pulling 7500#'s, truck did great, 8.6 mpg average and I didn't pass many gas stations.

I will hitch up this coming Memorial Day weekend for a 1000 mile round trip pull and a week of camping. I tow at least 8000-10000 miles a year and have since I bought the truck back in '10.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.