Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking around a lot of different forums the past few weeks trying to figure out a good lift and looking at tires for my 2014 CM TRD Off Road and think I know what I want to go install. This is my daily driver and only off road every once in awhile but stock setup is horrible when trying to get to lake areas that have been washed away. I was thinking 6112 at top setting and 5160 with Toytec shackles in the rear. I would like to keep the TRD Off Road wheels if possible and go with a 285/75/R18 Toyo Open Country R/T which would be pushing it on the width. This is were I start to get confused. With this setup, would I also need new UCAs? Diff drop? Shims? Would it be best and cost efficient to just order a complete kit? The main goal is to have the biggest tire size on the stock TRD Off Road wheels, better ride on and off road, and add more clearance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have 6112s that gave me 2.5 inches of lift, 2nd setting with 1 shim.
I also have 5160s with Toytec shackles on the 1" setting.
It is a pretty firm ride
What's the advantage of using a shim at the second setting vs using the top setting? I thought the top setting was 2.5".

That 285/75/R18 you're looking at is the same width, 11.2", but around 2.5" taller than the 285/55/20.
It isn't the width that you should worry about, it is the height.
They might fit in there, until you turn the steering wheel at full lock.
Hopefully someone will chime in with more info on that.
From what I have seen others are running 35"s and they don't seem to have issues but they aren't using stock wheels. I was wondering about steering as well but haven't seen anything about it. Maybe someone will chime in as you said.

...use 5100 on the rear with your 6112 fronts
I might end up doing this since I don't off road that much. My original thought was to just go ahead and get the 5160 since they are the same shock but with an added reservoir but I shouldn't ever be off roading long enough to worry about over heating them.

I guess I have stuck in my head I want to run 35" tires lol.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.