Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody put a manual transmission in their G2 Tundra? 5 or 6 speed? I know their are gears available, but just curious if there are any transmission options. I know it would be one hell of an undertaking, but I would love to see if anyone has put a manual tranny in a Tundra.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

· Registered
1,093 Posts
my guess is that if it was done it was a one off deal for hardcore racing or show use. the auto tranny is so good and most of us are lazy...

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, I'm way to lazy to be shifting gears, but if I had a pile of $100 bills to throw away, I wouldn't mind having a supercharged Tundra with a 5 speed.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn. Nobody's tried this? I figured somebody here has deep pockets, lots of free time and is way smarter than me.

· Registered
956 Posts
It'd take a pretty beefy 5 or 6 speed to hold up to it. You'd also need to hack the ECU because it's dependent upon the auto tranny for tuning.

That said, you would probably need to go with something along the lines of an NV 4500 or 5500, or possibly a T56.

Reactions: flippincrazy

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So basically, it would be nearly impossible. Seeing as the ECU hasn't been "hacked" yet.

· Registered
956 Posts
That's what I'm thinking. Unless they went with a full standalone like some of the turbo/sc guys are doing, it'd be nearly impossible.

· Registered
173 Posts
I can't recall any platforms carrying the 3UR-FE being offered with a manual transmission, so whatever unit that may be bolted with our engine will need a bolt plate and a custom driveshaft in the very least, nevermind fabricating some linkages and plates to install a clutch pedal and getting a shifter into the cab.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.