Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got home from an oil change and realized they put mobil one 5w30 in instead of 0w20 or 5w20 synthetic witch i have been doing since day 1, anyway, truck is a 2010 5.7. is this ok or should i take back to dealer???
thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
13,541 Posts
i would personally go back and have them at least dump the oil, 5-30 is not recommended in there... was it the dealer?

they will most likely say that the sticker was just printed wrong, or the receipt was wrong...

you paid good amount of money, should have gotten correct oil imo. at least call them on it.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
I know there a guy on here running 5-30 and isn't having any issue's

but i also second Powertechn2 cause they should have put the right oil in to begin with.. It's one thing to chose to try something that may screw up your engine and it's another to have someone else do it that isn't making the truck payment.

I've been thinking about going the 5w-30 route though cause im pushing 105k on my engine and i think the extra viscosity might help quite her down and fill in the bigger gaps from wear.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I run 5w30. Then again I have the 4.7. I ran 5w20 until 40k miles, then switched. I had no real reason for it. I guess it is preventative maintenance in my mind.

MG

·
Registered
491 Posts
5w-30 is all I run in my truck. You won't have any problem with it.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
I wasn't quite sure if there'd be any adverse effect on the engine but I'm bout 99% sure I'm pulling the trigger on the 5w-30 next oil change.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I agree that you should call the dealer out on it and even if the claim the repair order for the oil change states 5w30 is a mistake, too bad, have them change the oil out again and make dang sure they use 5w20 oil. 0w20 is the best full synthetic, but very costly. I am 99% sure 5w30 will do no harm, but you never want that 1% chance it will cause issues. I have a 2009 corolla and since day one buying new 2 years ago and now 30K, I always have used 5w30 vs. recommended 5w20 with absolutely no issues at all.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Your engine will run much quieter with 30w.

Sent From Droid Thunderbolt Via AutoGuide

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I've run 5w30 for 20k miles with no issue

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been using 5w-30 for the past year, since 39k. It's not like they put HD-40 in there or something that's way off. Next oil change demand 5w-20, then it's all good.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Can't hear any noise from my engine at all cause I use 50 weight oil.

Come on, guys, lets be logical.
Toyota specifies 20 weight precisely because it is a high-tech close tolerance engine also because the lower viscosity oil reduces drag and improves gas mileage and makes the smog system work properly. Also, oil is sprayed on hot parts for cooling and a thick oil doesn't do that.....so, I guess you would need a thicker oil to cover the noise of the worn-out engine caused by improper lubrication.

It's your money.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I do believe there is an orifice in each connecting rod that sprays oil onto the bottom of the piston.

·
Registered
13,541 Posts
likely yes, jets that squirt at the underside of the piston totally possible...

i really haven't been too techie inside the tundras engines, but quads. yep.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Can't hear any noise from my engine at all cause I use 50 weight oil.

Come on, guys, lets be logical.
Toyota specifies 20 weight precisely because it is a high-tech close tolerance engine also because the lower viscosity oil reduces drag and improves gas mileage and makes the smog system work properly. Also, oil is sprayed on hot parts for cooling and a thick oil doesn't do that.....so, I guess you would need a thicker oil to cover the noise of the worn-out engine caused by improper lubrication.

It's your money.
High tech close tolerance, lol. Funny how nearly every automaker went to these "close tolerance" engines the same time new fuel mileage regs came out.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Toyota specifies 0-20 or 5-20 oil. Why would you use something different? Do you think you know better than the Toyota engineers what is best for your engine? For the folks that say, " I've run 5-30 for so many miles and have no problems". How do you know what ill effects have happened to your engine from running the incorrect oil? If it was OK to run 5-30, Toyota would say so.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Toyota specifies 0-20 or 5-20 oil. Why would you use something different? Do you think you know better than the Toyota engineers what is best for your engine? For the folks that say, " I've run 5-30 for so many miles and have no problems". How do you know what ill effects have happened to your engine from running the incorrect oil? If it was OK to run 5-30, Toyota would say so.
Given yotas rep with this truck I trust what they say about as much as a normal dealer. New oil weights were a gov demand, had nothing to do with mechanical changes.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Given yotas rep with this truck I trust what they say about as much as a normal dealer. New oil weights were a gov demand, had nothing to do with mechanical changes.

The Government did not design this truck, Toyota engineers did. I'm using the oil they recommend.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts