Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, im trying to gather some info on doing a fifth wheel hitch for my 08 lifted tundra. I will be taking the stuff out of my dads "01 Silverado. I googled the tundra fifth wheel hitch brackets and I see some "custom brackets", my dads setup is very basic, 4 "L" brackets is all chevy has for their mounts. I also saw some of these "L" brackets for the tundra. Does anyone have any input on this? any pics to help? I am curious why there are custom brackets out there for $200 if all you need is $30 in "L" brackets?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I put the Reese R16K 5w hitch in my 2012 Crew max. I had the dealer do it. They used the Reese brackets, I believe it is due to the fact that the brackets do not go on straight, they are angled and it only has three brackets and some spacers to make up the differance between the bed and the fram. I will get some pictures of the brackets later and attach them.

This is the hitch.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Go to etrailer and enter your specs on your truck. Gives you some options. Maybe you have already looked. There are universal kits, with just the L brackets and proper hardware. And custom kits, year and model specif. I just received a custom mounting kit and rails for my 2012. Haven't put it in yet. Most instructions and ads say universal kits take more time, while custom kits are quicker, a little easier and less drilling. If you have lots of time, patience, you might be able to make all your dads stuff work.

When I sold my dodge, I kept the hitch, but left the rails and mounting brackets. It had the L's. And was a full day install for me. My new kit is a custom, brackets are specific for my year. Instructions say only one hole to drill, everything else lines up.:confused: Hope it is right. :cool:

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you , I went to e trailer and sent in an email. I don't mind doing the labor, I have access to a lift and all the goodies that come with it so no prob there. Also have access to a burn table in case I want beefier brackets. Was just curious if anyone on here has just used the L brackets. couldn't understand why it looked like some did and some didn't.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I put the Reese R16K 5w hitch in my 2012 Crew max. I had the dealer do it. They used the Reese brackets, I believe it is due to the fact that the brackets do not go on straight, they are angled and it only has three brackets and some spacers to make up the differance between the bed and the fram. I will get some pictures of the brackets later and attach them.

This is the hitch.
Is this a sliding hitch?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes it's a 10 inch slider.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well I bought the custom kit, just got it installed yesterday. Took about 6 hours total. Whooped my old butt! I was concerned when the web page said 2007 to 2012, and when it arrived the instructions only went to 2010. First tip that it wasn't going to go well, box showed up on doorstep shreded , :eek: and kind of taped together, with an open hole in the box. Fortunetly all parts were there.:rolleyes:

Front rail went on pretty smooth. Maybe an hour. Instructions said to move electrical box, and remount on supplied bracket. Electrical box is no where near the bracket area. Now the back was a different story . :mad: Instructions said to loosen back bumper bolts and let the bumper bracket tip out of the way. Nope! Didn't work. Had to pretty much remove the bumper. Then the custom, quick mount rail brackets, mounted right up. But the square holes in the rail didn't line up with the holes in the custom brackets. I had to drill new holes, all brackets for the rear were so close to the frame that you could no absolute way get a nut on the carriage bolts. So all holes for the rear were re-drilled and I used machine bolts instead. All in all, not bad, but to much up and down and in and out. And drilling:eek: Doesn't sound like a truck project! LOL!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh yeah that would have made it easy. Just drill through the bed and frame then bolt on the bottom. Oh well, next time! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go to etrailer and enter your specs on your truck. Gives you some options. Maybe you have already looked. There are universal kits, with just the L brackets and proper hardware. And custom kits, year and model specif. I just received a custom mounting kit and rails for my 2012. Haven't put it in yet. Most instructions and ads say universal kits take more time, while custom kits are quicker, a little easier and less drilling. If you have lots of time, patience, you might be able to make all your dads stuff work.

When I sold my dodge, I kept the hitch, but left the rails and mounting brackets. It had the L's. And was a full day install for me. My new kit is a custom, brackets are specific for my year. Instructions say only one hole to drill, everything else lines up.:confused: Hope it is right. :cool:
Did your brackets from etrialer give measurements, (distance from...back of bed, back of cab, etc.)? What is the king pin's best position - directly over the axel? Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.