Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Any news here? Have you guys received your kits? What do you think of them?
After doing a bunch of research, I went with the big boy SQ1 system. There was a few week delay, as they were waiting for rear speakers to come in. My system is currently in Oregon, on route to me.

I'm a former installer, so I should be able to blast through this install pretty quickly. After putting 4000 miles on my 2018 Tundra, I've become quite familiar with the current system and will let you know what I think once it all arrives.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any news here? Have you guys received your kits? What do you think of them?
After doing a bunch of research, I went with the big boy SQ1 system. There was a few week delay, as they were waiting for rear speakers to come in. My system is currently in Oregon, on route to me.

I'm a former installer, so I should be able to blast through this install pretty quickly. After putting 4000 miles on my 2018 Tundra, I've become quite familiar with the current system and will let you know what I think once it all arrives.
Let us know how it turns out. I’m debating on updating my stock system in my 2017 CM and was looking at this system too.

Thaks!
Shep

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just got back from vacation, so a little late replying. Received an e-mail from tacotunes on 6/15 saying that my system was ready to ship, but haven't heard anything from FedEx. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I got a email last week saying my system is in and ready for install. I dropped off my truck today at their location and I'll let y'all know how it goes. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just received everything Wednesday, came in three separate shipments?! Anyway everything arrived intact and undamaged. Now its simply a matter of finding the time to do the install between work, family, other obligations and trying to avoid 100 degree days!!! Ah Iowa home to the worst weather in the country, sub-zero temps in the winter and plus 100 in the summer...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
After a customs delay, I should be getting my electronics today.
*crosses fingers
Wtf...this shit ain’t made in the good ole US of A?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, I received my package about 2 weeks ago.
I installed it in stages and finished it last night.
To make it easier on those following me..... I'll write up a bit of a how-to here.......tacotunes could do a better job with installation instructions.

Installation is easy, and the plug and play wiring makes it pretty simple. There is plenty of wire length, and all the connectors and screws you will need. Quality of the products, fit and finish is good.

The sound quality is great, and I'm really happy with it. Great improvement over the wimpy Toyota system.
Customer Service from TacoTunes sucks for getting it delivered to you on time, but once you have it, there are lots of videos online as to how to install it. I had a couple questions for them during the install, which they answered pretty quickly, or they sent me another video that was helpful.

TacoTunes could do a better job with the following:
1 - didn't get a packing list..... did I receive everything?.... yes, but didn't know till I completed the install. Packing lists are good for checking.
2 - you have to search around for the online videos and they don't have a video for everything, so for some items you need to watch a video for a different system, and assume it works the same for the $599 system. TacoTunes should give you a list of the related videos and where to find them.

Install instructions are here on the tacotunes site:
https://tacotunes.com/toyota-tundra...ta-tundra-system-1-installation-instructions/
They also have some of the similar videos here, but not all are made for this specific $599 system.

I installed as follows:
1 - component speakers first. Goes relatively easily. I received them FREE with the kit because I am a TundraTalk member.
The crossover I received was slightly different and larger, so I contacted them for a picture. Had to cut out part of the foam on the back of the door panel to get it to fit but it worked out. They provide all wiring and connectors you need. The kit includes the tweeter sail panel. Quality and weight is a lot better than the Toyota speakers I took out - and similar to the Polk audio speakers I ordered for the rear. They said to disconnect the stock tweeters and center speaker, but I have not done so yet.... have to figure out how to get to them.

2 - Pre-assembled the amp and mounting panel.
Pre-assembled and wired the sub. I didn't receive any sound deadening material to put in the sub per the video, so I installed my own.

3 - Ran the power wire from the battery, to the amp panel area, but did not hook it up to the battery until the tuning section. The video shows how to go through the firewall and how to route the wires. The only thing you need to remove to install the power wire is the console cover. There is a video how to remove it. You should run your sub control wire to the amp panel at this time as well before you put the cover back on. I just ran the control know end out the front near the dash for now so my control know is just dangling on the console until I figure out where I will mount it.

4 -Install the sub panel. I unbolted the front passenger seat and tilted it back. I did not disconnect the seat electrical connections. Removed the stock amp and installed the pre-assembled amp and hooked up the power wire to the amp fuse. All the pre-wiring fits and works well. You should watch the video on tuning, because you don't want to hook the output side until you have tuned the amp.

5 - ran the sub wiring from the amp panel to the passenger door sill plate wiring channel (see video how to remove it) and ran the wire under the edge of the plastic between the doors (didn't remove it), and along the channel below the rear door sill plate, and under the plastic cover behind the rear door (didn't remove it). I just coiled the excess wire behind the rear seat until I was ready to install the sub.
6 - removed the passenger side rear seat. unbolted the drivers side rear seat and tilted if forward. Removed the sound deadening padding behind the seat. Placed the sub box in place, hooked up the sub wires to the box, and positioned it so that the one bracket is in the hole in the rear of the sub box. this places the sub enclosure so that when you put the drivers side rear seat in, it will drop into the slot on the front of the sub box securing it in place.
7 - tuned the amp based on the video. the downloaded tunes seemed to work well. Took me a couple tries to get everything done in the right sequence. I ended up watching the video again, and writing it down so I would not forget something....

Videos you will need to view: (you can search these on youtube)
1 - teardown of the interior. (video - Toyota Tundra Crewmax Audio system upgrade - preparing for installation)
2 - running the power wire from the battery (Video - Toyota Tundra install power wire from battery to plug and play amp)
3 - assembling the 5 channel amp and bracket (there is one video for pre-assembling the amp and one for installing it)

4 - (video - 2014 -2018 Toyota Tundra - How to install component speakers)

5 - installation of the sub. Couldn't find a video for this system, but the enclosure just fits in behind the seat after you take out the sound deadening blanket. No bolts, the seat just fits into the slot on the front of the sub box and holds it in place. The wires you can just slip in under the trim by the back door and into the wiring tray under the door sill panel. Then run it up under the carpet to the amp.

6- This video shows how to wire your sub into the box, except you only have one subwoofer....but same wiring process (video - How to wire dual 2 ohm image dynamics subwoofers in your Toyota Tundra)

7 - tuning of the amp. I had to contact them to find the video for this. It worked out pretty good. You will need to download the test tones from their website. I downloaded to ITunes, created a playlist, and had them easily accessible on my phone for the tuning. they said this wouldn't be as accurate as using a CD, but I'm happy with the result so far. Tuning is easier with 2 people.
Tuning video for the 5 channel amp: .youtube.com/watch?v=m3mWW22oeBA&t=577s

8 - Mounting the sub control knob (video - Toyota Tundra Bass Control Knob Installation Mod).
I'm not sure I want mine located in the cup holder area, so I am holding off on this for now.

Hope this helps someone.....

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
8 - Mounting the sub control knob (video - Toyota Tundra Bass Control Knob Installation Mod).
I'm not sure I want mine located in the cup holder area, so I am holding off on this for now.
Thanks for the post.
I've found TT's reliability hit and miss over the years of being on this forum.
He has never answered my direct questions about his product, and worse he abandoned this thread that HE started..

But as to your remote knob issue:
I mounted my Alpine RUX knob in my console.
It is literally at my finger tips when resting my hand on the console lid.
I did have to take apart the housing, but no big deal.
If you listen to XM/Sirius, that knob is mandatory since EVERY song can vary in bass levels.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I put mine in between the cup holders. No pic, as the death of photobucket has ruined posting pics for me....

Anyway, I finished my install and promptly left for San Diego shortly after.
The install was no easy. I was an installer back in the day, and while I was out of practice for sure, this was a challenge. Not so much difficult, but just work intensive. I had the full interior out for the sound deadening, etc.

The videos are a little confusing, but the guys at Tacotunes were really good about support. They helped me get it all done.

Overall, I am very happy with the system. Tuning is a bit tough, and will be an ongoing project for me as I go forward.

The funny thing is, I had to grab some extra sound deadening so I hit up a local steroo shop. The guy gave me the gears for buying tacotunes. Said it was a POS, and the sound processor was garbage. Nice guy...... He said that for a little more money I could have had him build a system. So out of curiosity I asked what the cost was. When he hit $5g, I started laughing. Just a little more money..... :lol:

All said and done I'm happy my Tundra has a system now. It's awesome ripping through town with all the windows down cranking my favorite tunes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just finished the install myself as well. I was overly-excited, anxiously-impatient, and ill-prepared. Just got back from deployment and renting a hotel room until my apartment is ready. I worked on it from 9pm until 5am (my brain/body is still in the wrong timezone) in the parking garage as guests as security kept passing me by. I borrowed my buddy's toolset because I can't remember where mine is in my storage unit. You don't realize the luxury of a drill until you're working with nothing but sockets and screwdrivers. I was getting frustrated with trying to find the right videos to walk me through it along with using Harleyes post. After finishing the install, I installed the fuses and reconnected the battery. I was certain I had screwed something up somewhere because the videos weren't giving me enough info to get that warmfuzzy. But once I turned on the truck, I prayed that my fuses wouldn't blow (I was already anxious and didn't want to have to by more fuses). Surprisingly, everything worked as it should...on the first try. That never happens (like when I did the FRAC install).

I recommend installing with a buddy. Things will happen faster, lifting (back seat and subs) is easier, and you don't go mad talking to yourself about how you don't understand what you're missing in the video.

I recommend not installing in a hotel parking garage. That's a little embarassing.

I also recommend doing the install during normal work hours. I think much of my frustration was from not being able to call customer support because it was the middle of the night. I'm pretty sure I installed my tweets incorrectly, they'really currently an eye-sore sticking out of the front panels instead of flush with the panel. If anyone has guidance on how to properly install those with the equipment in the package, please let me know.

At the end of it all, I have an awesome sound system for a fraction of what I thought I would have to fork up. Now, not only is the truck a panty-dropper, but it's turned into an asshole tickler too!

Sorry for the long post, just had to vent.

-k

Attachments

Reactions: Porjoes
61 - 80 of 100 Posts