Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just finished installing a set of 55 watt HIDs in my low beams and I'm just wondering if anyone has had any issues with being too hot. You can feel the heat on the lens from the outside. I'm just worried about my bhlm.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also how is everyone mounting their ballasts for the fogs? I ziptied mine to the inner part of the bumper and filed all the connections with dielectric grease.

· Registered
116 Posts
Hey guys, I just finished installing a set of 55 watt HIDs in my low beams and I'm just wondering if anyone has had any issues with being too hot. You can feel the heat on the lens from the outside. I'm just worried about my bhlm.
You shouldn't have any issues, the 55's are a little hotter, but still cooler than a halgen bulb would be.

That little inner part of the bumper is a good spot, same place I have mine

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man. Now all I need to do is do my high beams. I did notice I had to turn the headlights of and back on again because one wouldn't fire. Is that normal?

· Registered
116 Posts
Thanks man. Now all I need to do is do my high beams. I did notice I had to turn the headlights of and back on again because one wouldn't fire. Is that normal?
Happens sometimes, if the ballast doesn't get enough current to kick off the ignitor, it will stop trying to cycle, when you kill the power and hit it again, and it has enough them boom...Does this happen when you start the truck with the lights on already by chance, or is it all the time?

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one time that it happened the truck wasn't running and I was just showing someone the lights. And I just turned the knob off and back on and it fired the second time. It hasn't happened since, but I've only had them on for about 6 hours now so we'll see.

· Registered
116 Posts
I wouldn't worry about that, with the truck not running, that ballast was looking for a little more than was available. Under those conditions, that is normal.

· Registered
3,422 Posts
i've had mine in for over a year with no problems, my lights usually don't fire up at the same time even with the truck started. tundra's typically need the power harness to prevent it

· Premium Member
893 Posts
I wouldn't recommend HIDs for your hi's. Usually when you need your HI's you need them in a quick pinch...HID's just take a few sec to warm up...I had them for like a week, and took them out and put halogens back in my hi's and used the spare set for my daily driver.

· Registered
14,309 Posts
check the connection on them, I had that issue intermittently, the connection wasn't good...

I now seal my connections and no more issues.

I also had a flooded ballast once... Now I seal those too lol.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What did you seal the ballast with? I put the di-electric grease in the connections and used liquid electrical tape around them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.